• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

So far this has been the year of the turtle. Northwest River course Chesapeake Virginia. On left photo Hole 11 short tee, short Fairway. 2nd round next photo Hole 11 long tee, long Fairway. Not the same turtle, and about 100 feet apart.

Happily I continue my three year streak Not coming across a Timber Rattlesnake.

Attachments

• 20240610_084513.jpg
    20240610_084513.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240610_101412.jpg
    20240610_101412.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
So far this has been the year of the turtle. Northwest River course Chesapeake Virginia. On left photo Hole 11 short tee, short Fairway. 2nd round next photo Hole 11 long tee, long Fairway. Not the same turtle, and about 100 feet apart.

Happily I continue my three year streak Not coming across a Timber Rattlesnake.
I get it on the rattlesnakes. When I've played there, I've always been on the lookout for snakes, and I've wondered how the locals even spot them with all the leaves and ground clutter that they can camouflage in. I think I've been lucky to be there in the snake off-season. I always enjoy that course, though.

I get it on the rattlesnakes. When I've played there, I've always been on the lookout for snakes, and I've wondered how the locals even spot them with all the leaves and ground clutter that they can camouflage in. I think I've been lucky to be there in the snake off-season. I always enjoy that course, though.
Totally agree. Glad I live where venomous serpents are scarce (only one species in Michigan, and they're not all that common).

I try to be a little bit more careful as I travel around the south, where you're much more likely Copperheads, Cottonmouths, Eastern Diamondbacks.

That said, I get the impression encountering Nope Ropes is even more likely in the heavily forested Pacific northwest, and especially throughout the desert southwest.

Last edited:
Totally agree. Glad I live were venomous serpents are scarce (only One species in Michigan, and they're not all that common).

I try to be a little bit more careful as I travel around the south, where you're much more likely Copperheads, Cottonmouths, Eastern Diamondbacks.

That said, I get the impression encountering Nope Ropes is even more likely in the heavily forested Pacific northwest, and especially throughout the desert southwest.
Do they still have the rattlesnake warning on the Monster course, at Hudson Mills?

They were also present at Stony Creek (some teenage girl got bit by one a few years ago), but not near the disc golf course...

Never really thought venomous snakes would be one of the hazards of Michigan woods disc golf, when I started playing... :ROFLMAO:

Do they still have the rattlesnake warning on the Monster course, at Hudson Mills?

They were also present at Stony Creek (some teenage girl got bit by one a few years ago), but not near the disc golf course...

Never really thought venomous snakes would be one of the hazards of Michigan woods disc golf, when I started playing... :ROFLMAO:
They do. I think a few of the Metro parks now have warning signs at the beginning of courses. I have seen FAR more Mississauga at Hudson Mills, than all other sighting around the state combined. They are not very venomous and are a very shy and skiddish snake.

I've yet to a Massasauga in the wild (not that I'm complaining).

I strongly suspect that most Massasauga "sightings," are for the more common Northern Water Snake.

Only venomous snakes I've ever seen in the the wild were both in FL. A cottonmouth at Tradewinds Park, and a small Eastern Diamondback at Ronnie Van Zant.