• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Part VI)

@HyooMac yeah I hadn't thought of it that way, I wonder if James does feel like a third wheel with the Simon and Eagle releases, how's he supposed to get some extra bucks when they won't make his disc?

The detour is pretty good, definitely overlaps with the uplink and the hex so I'd say it's right in between. I don't know if it's really a zero fade disc though, kinda dumps late with half the fade of a hex and it kind of has half the turn of an uplink. Banged my first ace with it early on in the week so it's a "pretty good" disc for now.

I agree that the tempo is fast which makes it kind of long, I like the way it dumps fast too on a higher throw, it's come along for rounds a lot more often than the eagle envy.

I don't know if it's really a zero fade disc though, kinda dumps late with half the fade of a hex and it kind of has half the turn of an uplink.

This is a pretty accurate description from the throw I gave one. It's really, really straight until it starts slowing down, then it just dumps a little. It's like... a less versatile Comet. That's not a bad thing, but if I didn't have the Comet in my bag, I still think I'd choose a different mold - or at least supplement the Detour with one. The Mana is basically the same mold, but has more shape to its flight. I could see it pairing well with the Detour - sort of like how I bag different Comets for similar, but different shapes.

It almost reminded me of the old Discraft Storm...

Yeah getting a handle on the 171g detour stability has taken me a while, I've turned it often on my steep downhill tester hole, on the flat it stables out more than I want at 200'... it seems to like some hyzer flip action so my best shots have been uphill. Meh... it's better uphill than my 180g soft uplink but I trust the uplink more for every other shot, especially a low/zero fade one. FH or headwind I'd rather have a hex... I feel like the detour is a good uplink replacement for a 350'+ thrower but I wouldn't go out and pay a premium price for one..

In other news I need to figure out where I put my pixels haha.

Silva throws disc that most of us on here can relate too. Except for Streamline, every disc in her bag I have or at least attempted.

She is being hailed as one of the top putters on tour, she putts with the Electron Anode. Great distance with the Electron Envy, looked like she may of been throwing them around 300 in Nashville.

Watched her on lead card coverage Nashville, and Presidents Cup. It seems her preferred driver is a Crave, and has the power to use it. Power in her Standstills, I've adjusted mine, not as far back with her rear foot, but has made a difference in distance and accuracy for myself.

She's going to be fun to watch in the years to come, hopefully it works out that MVP can keep her. She's on lead card 2nd and 3rd round Copenhagen Open. Watching lead card 1st round, they were peaking on Silva chase card B9 she was parking a few, and dropping a few. The tournament is concluded and she podium. Check her out, I've become a fan.

Getting pretty tired waiting for the release of the Detour. Seems like they teased it months ago, and if it truly fits between the Hex and the Uplink as straight mid - then it fits my bag.

I feel a bit badly for James, if only because this mid addition to the Conrad Line isn't available for purchase yet, and here we are almost to summer.

I've been looking for something more stable (especially downhill or slight headwind) than the neutron Uplink, without the finish of the neutron Hex. Over time I've tried the fission Hex, Comet, Fuse, Gauge, Lobster, Trace, glow Uplink, soft neutron Uplink, Piwakawaka, Echo. I'm now playing with a Svea. All in the 170's.

So far, everything seems to be too much like the Hex, or too much like the Uplink.

But in the meantime, my neutron Hex continues to beat it and lose its fade. Hmmmm....maybe the Hex will do, and I won't end up purchasing the Detour that I would have jumped at back in January.

I liked the detour but it didn't make my bag. That said I am curious, following the supposed release of the Detour. MVP promised a lot more stock releases this year (that was one of the reasons they shut down shipments at the end of 2023. We have seen a a release that was focused on distance drivers, we have seen a release that was focused on fairway drivers. I am hoping that, based on those first releases this year, the next one is going to be geared towards mids and putters...or at the very least, mids.

We certainly are OD'ing on Hex's but the Pyro, Deflector, Matrix, Reactor (maybe less so Reactor) could use some love (and of course, the detour). Soft Neutron Envy/Proxy are near impossible to find. Updated electron ions, anodes, atoms, envy's etc. would be fantastic. I am one of many people that would love to see an electron Watt. I also would be very intrigued by a premium plastic Pixel...

I only have a few throws with the Tempo but it's in the same slot I use the Kasta Jarn for, short and hard fade drives. I'll have to try throwing it straight, I'll try that next time and see how it goes. IT was giving me similar shots to the Jarn off the tee, but I was putting some hyzer angle on them too.

I just couldn't do it. I had lost my last Fission Wave three weeks ago, and the plan was to throw my new Cosmic Proton Wave for a few weeks until I picked up the Eclipse Orbital and Prism Proton Vanish spending the rest of May with them, and then pick up a new Fission Wave in June. But during two rounds last week, I gripped locked the Proton Wave twice, and the Star Mamba as always was all over the place. I went straight to PIAS and picked up a Fission Wave 157g, and all was well. I've had a Fission Wave in my bag for almost two years, and for two weeks I was missing it. My second course visit last week the Proton Wave was fine. While I was at PIAS, there were two disc in the used bin on my wish list .

A beaten in Electron Envy, the most beaten in disc I've ever had. Only the second Electron Envy I've ever seen. Out of the other Envys I have, the best grip. It's just as fast as my new Proton Tempo, and Proton Crave, and flies. I plan on ordering a new one with an online order, along with an Electron Nomad another one I've never seen.

The black disc is an Eclipse Rimmed R2 Glitsch. Back in fall I had gripped a Blue Eclipse Rimmed R2 Glitch, and really liked the grip, the timing just wasn't there to pick it up. Good grip on the Glitsch, far better than the neutron, Eclipse, and proton that I gripped and put back on the shelf. It flies down wind, as expected not a chance headwind. Love the Stamp.

The second photo two weeks ago mounted on the park office wall at one of my favorite courses, first time seeing an Electron Envy. I walked into the office to pay for my rounds and asked if I could buy it 😁, um, um, um the manager is not here. I would pick up the used one 5 days later. Thought it was cool way to promote the course. The course is Waller Mill Williamsburg Virginia an hour from home, I make a handful of visits in the warmer months. In the photo my favorite Hole in the region no. 7, 290 feet, steeper than it looks, one of the few times I've hit C1 with a Relay crossing a creek.

Attachments

• 20240508_123037.jpg
    20240508_123037.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240503_071257.jpg
    20240503_071257.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240503_074608.jpg
    20240503_074608.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
I have a fission wave that came in a gyropalooza box. It will not do anything for me but be a roller. Is mine defective or is this what they are good for? I see so many people who love them but it just turns and burns every time.

I have a fission wave that came in a gyropalooza box. It will not do anything for me but be a roller. Is mine defective or is this what they are good for? I see so many people who love them but it just turns and burns every time.
What's it's weight, and what's your distance like? I've got a 154g one that flies like yours, and a 168g one that flies like a nicely seasoned neutron one of the same weight. I throw 375ish.

@lee76007 Yeah it's funny when you think I don't use _______ disc that much, then you go man I sure miss that disc. That's how I know I need to bag it. Glad to hear your fission wave is working out, I always take a wave (and a fission octane) when I travel to longer courses. One of the two will always do work for me... I hope that electron envy is as awesome as it looks, it looks like a straight 🚀.

@RAHfrolfer yeah check the weight on your wave, the light ones are definitely a little squirrely I tried to love a 147g fission wave but the 160g is a better fit. I've found I do better with them when I keep my wrist locked into a straighter snap (on a hyzer) rather than a "turn the key" motion.

Played with WD09 on the weekend, fun to entertain a Texan on my home turf... he had a firsthand view of my current identity crisis. He told me I can't take the pixel out of my bag with shots like that 😂 , hit a 50'er and tickled chains twice on my drive. It's stealing shots from my electron envy and glitch. I also had a couple of get outta jail shots with the circuit tempo, ordered a heavier OTB soft one hoping it has the stability I want.

Last edited:
Played with WD09 on the weekend, fun to entertain a Texan on my home turf... he had a firsthand view of my current identity crisis. He told me I can't take the pixel out of my bag with shots like that 😂 , hit a 50'er and tickled chains twice on my drive. It's stealing shots from my electron envy and glitch.

Right now I am playing with a 'minimal bag' of about 14 discs. Eventually I will upgrade to something in the 'Lore' size bag range so I would anticipate carrying around 20 discs. With the reduction to 14 discs, I decided to putt with Watts. I have one decently beat in and another fresh but they are both premium plastic and my most played course is notoriously rough on courses. But I do love the pixel and would like to putt with them more (I may end up putting them back in the bag, but would only have room for 1 which bugs me). The minute MVP announces some premium plastic love for the Pixel...I would be all over that.

Right now I am playing with a 'minimal bag' of about 14 discs. Eventually I will upgrade to something in the 'Lore' size bag range so I would anticipate carrying around 20 discs. With the reduction to 14 discs, I decided to putt with Watts. I have one decently beat in and another fresh but they are both premium plastic and my most played course is notoriously rough on courses. But I do love the pixel and would like to putt with them more (I may end up putting them back in the bag, but would only have room for 1 which bugs me). The minute MVP announces some premium plastic love for the Pixel...I would be all over that.
Yeah my place is murder on soft plastics but it's holding up alright. I won't throw my best electron envy except in money or tourney rounds... it's why I gravitated to the Plasma envy's. Now I'm kinda like screw it let's see where this disc beats to. Here's a few months of wear... haha maybe 2 weeks on the blue. The purple is very glitch like only it will handle more snap and wind and do very cool things around trees, from either side.
2024-05-1408.12.473308542316853384725.jpg

My wave is 158 I think. Super domey. Small diameter disc. Too flippy even for a roller. Maybe I'll let my wife try it out. She has a slower arm speed

My wave is 158 I think. Super domey. Small diameter disc. Too flippy even for a roller. Maybe I'll let my wife try it out. She has a slower arm speed
Thats kind of what I've done with mine. It's going to be my partner's first speed 11 disc. He's not quite out to 275 of distance yet, and I figure that's just about right for it.

Proton Vanish (158) in a field today with a small amount of wind. I max out between 325-350. This disc would flip to flat for me cross wind and of course turn over a bit headwind… Slots between my mamba and beast really well (which is what I was looking for). Probably need to run back this week and get a backup…

Latest posts