• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Breaking Bad Timing Habit

I tried keeping my upper arm far away from my body, and I think I was feeling what that was doing, but I'm not sure if that's cueing something different from the "out-in-out" feeling? Or is that what it is? It seems to create a trade-off for me right now, it often makes the feeling of redirecting the disc more obvious, but my backswing doesn't tend to feel as "heavy" when I'm thinking about something other than tossing the disc straight back and up.

In any case, I felt like for other reasons things were starting to go off the rails a bit, so I decided I needed to rewind my form a week or so to something more vertical, forgetting about specifics for a moment, just thinking about hershyzer and hammering out the back of the disc.

Feel like there might be some new good stuff here? My footwork has gone downhill a bit and I don't like what my left arm is doing at any point, but I feel like more and more my body is starting the understand the right task, as far as how to go about orienting itself to throw the disc. Right arm is definitely looking a little trapped though, looks like maybe I'm just starting the swing too early?

1. Looks like you are always too far behind your driving foot/ankle on both feet.

2. Your right elbow is moving around a lot in backswing. Should remain closer in place like Door Frame/Bow Arrow Drills.

3. Keep your left elbow close to hip.
Screen Shot 2024-05-09 at 10.55.48 PM.png

Thanks SW! I got these earlier today, any improvement on the right elbow? I tried to tackle my backswing a bit, seemed like I had lost how to coil, so I tried to think of my right elbow staying under my shoulder. X step and left arm are definitely in need of work still.

Little bit, still moving too eastward/right behind you. Try moving your elbow slightly outward/west to the top of backswing.

Little bit, still moving too eastward/right behind you. Try moving your elbow slightly outward/west to the top of backswing.
Made some nice progress following this advice, and just when I thought I was getting somewhere, old habits are creeping in once more. 2 steps forward, 1.5 steps back.

I'll start with the good, last week I started doing this clockwise motion with both arms at the top of my backswing to try to get both arms in a better spot, and immediately after implementing that I got some of the lowest-effort throws I think I've ever had. I could see there were things to work on, but it felt like I was definitely on some version of the right track.

Wasn't really able to improve from there - now things are pretty bad and I'm not totally sure what I was telling myself to do that made things work before

Going through the two videos side by side, I think the biggest issue I can identify is right after heel strike, the immediate impulse even in the first two frames is for the top of my head to come forward over my brace, whereas last week I was rotating in place more. I see my left hand came down earlier as well last week but I'm not sure if that's as big of a factor.

Screenshot 2024-05-22 at 2.08.52 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-22 at 2.09.31 PM.png

Wish I could remember more about what my "intent" was last week, it feels like I'm doing the same thing but clearly it's a very different motion.

Maybe slower intent 5/13? Or shorter stride? Your rear foot stays lower to ground better and doesn't get kicked way up.

On both you land very flat footed/dorsiflexed. Extend your lead ankle/foot into the plant resist collapse initially before dropping the heel.

Thanks SW!

Regarding my flat footed plant, might be something I always kind of have to work around; my big toe doesn't like to bend very far so when I land too much on my toes it can get painful. I should probably just commit to trying to copy someone like Simon, or Kyle Klein or Adam Hammes (though I don't know if I have the same hip mobility as the latter two), who all seem to approach the ground with their plant foot in such a way that they can land more flat footed (though usually not completely flat footed) while also being more plantar flexed. Am I crazy for thinking that? It seems like there's a difference with someone like those three, vs someone like Eagle, who lands very aggressively on the ball of his front foot.

Anyway, was working to that effect a little bit yesterday, trying to get the "crush the can like Lizotte" circle move. Feels like there's a bit of a mirrored circle move going on with my arms; as the front foot circles counterclockwise, the arms circle clockwise so the rear arm can swim inwards and the front arm can float away from my body. I noticed a big benefit to getting my rear arm planted to my torso at or around the same time as my plant foot hit the ground. Usually my rear arm gets lazy and doesn't really complete the swim move, or does it too late.

This was the one where my rear arm move felt the most effective.

Latest posts