• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First form check!

I'm not quick twitch, I'll tell you that much. lol

I'm 5'10 (generously, though a home life insurance physical right after I rolled out of bed one time measured me at 5'11 even lol) / 165 with a 6'3 wingspan. I've never been very naturally coordinated - just a reps-on-reps person. But even then - only *some* things really ever *clicked* without clear *deep* instruction. I got good hands on instruction with disc golf, not so much with some other things (I started running distance at age 5, but had to rebuild my form around age 27-29, because the YouTube era gave me a ton of info I never got, I ran pretty good placements in a weak D3 college conference with absolute shit form).

Nick mentioned Marty Peters above (aka Scott Stokely's skateboarding buddy, a giant with long arms) - he was also crucial for me, especially with getting my feet in position with the cross step, though I used a lot of resources. DGR having slow motion RealVideo format videos of top pros throwing in slow motion was super beneficial when I started, the grip page on DGR was super beneficial too.

Anyway... You talked about athletic decline and said Weissman apparently talks about it - so I am curious about that. My personal experience has been that my own failings in terms of technique, in terms of lack of coordination, has led to maintaining a lot of physical 'performances' as I've got older, by virtue of slowly figuring things out and compensating for age. Its been a real slow build because I just don't have a real strong natural mind-body connection.

One thing is for sure - the YouTube era has been a big benefit for me as I've got older.
Interesting - so you're very positive ape index, but don't really identify as quick twitch or coordinated. I wouldn't be surprised if hands on instruction from good people has a large effect when applied well. You also seem to have a passion and work ethic.

I think Weissman had replied to you here where he's talking about declines and compensation with age:

YouTube era spoils us for sure, and I'm very grateful I am "growing up" in it.
I will also add...

Yeah, putting the work in can't be replaced. Finding the sweet spot can apparently take a while/change with age and circumstance.

Kuoksa & injury: I can't say everything since some of it was in confidence, but I'm sure it will get increasingly public eventually - basically, the way Kuoksa moves is deceptively athletic (there are data on this and the guy is pretty impressive at face value in the gym). Young people are seeing his very extremely horizontally braced move (which we could suspect puts a much bigger draw on weaker muscles to stay dynamically stable and balanced). They try to copy it and focus on the "stop" of the brace, but their posture and balance suck and their bodies aren't in the condition to take the forces. They end up jamming ground forces into their leading hip and pelvis and create impact or repetitive fractures in the pelvis and lower spine. If it sounds pretty bad to you, that's because it is. Yikes.

Kuoksa/Jaani: I do not mind public critiques but I also believe in things like being cordial and discussing things in good faith. I'm increasingly becoming more careful as the space gets more crowded and is full of big personalities. I just care about the mechanics.

Peters/giant hyzerbombs/arm slots etc: honestly all sounds very similar to how Sidewinder tends to teach the shift mechanics and posture, or how Gibson is exaggerating "swinging upwards nose down" here. I personally find spike hyzers a lot of fun and usually can throw them farther than most amateurs I encounter even if they have good distance. Probably related.

MIzSmvL.gif

Xfm72T2.gif

Arm "can't help it" - yes, I think that's there. One of the main ideas in Sidewinder's door frame drill. The thing just kind of "happens" once you foot starts to plant/resist the ground and carry through.

OAT/body English/ Peters "old school" tricks: I think I understand what you're saying there better than I did a few months ago (doing it reliably is another matter lmao). Comets are super sensitive to all that too I'm now finding with more options for body control. What most instruction in DG lacks IMHO is that the arm is rotating like a corkscrew the whole way through the move. People try to break it into these little parts but that's kind of not how arms work in most actions. You can change the details but how it winds up and unwinds as a "unit" apparently matters a lot. Gotta be careful with that at first if you're not used to it.

Basketball/body intuition - yes, I can think of one visible example of bballer who got the weight shift wrong, but the basic idea there is very clear. Watch Gibson's two handed motion in the second gif above. Looks like a medicine ball or basketball toss, don't it?
Claws or suctions - I like that.
I think I get the fascial/stretching concept implicitly now and I can clearly "feel" when I'm recruiting more "X-factor" vs. not. It is definitely something I wasn't doing before I learned from Sidewinder here, and is definitely something that has to happen across the whole body to throw well. Also the area of the most body adaptation I still need, probably. So hopefully spacing out my throwing again will allow better recovery cycles (and resisting the temptation of "pushing through" with ibuprofen or ice baths).
Something I forgot to mention, just popped into my head as I'm warming & stretching at the field right now...
Yes, I think finding little "hangers" for what things trigger good motions and memories are really important. The utility of standstills is very clear, though I do think transforming it into a move while feet are moving (x-step) adds novel challenges. I still have never regretted time on my standstills which is why I always am throwing some, and I'm always still noticing new things.

"It's all just a fancy walk at the end of the day." Yep. A challenging walk indeed, but a walk of some kind.

X-step/shuffle hop: I've gradually paid more attention to this. E.g., in Mcbeth, he tends to use more of a side shuffle hop on throws less than full power often (i.e., not just a shorter x-step, but an actual shuffle hop). I have physical issues in my rear leg that probably contributes for reasons I'll spare you, but I noticed that when I'm downtempoing now, my body naturally wants to do more of a side shuffle hop while learning the "criss cross x-step" sidewinder is getting me to do. The CoM ideally moves the "same" way in the side shuffle pattern, but the overall move is smaller and I can get vaguely different balance points in the side shuffle hop than a true X-step and control my pump in different ways. Then when I'm trying to throw for power I've got both more hop and more cross and more/full pump. SO over time I'm realizing for power drives, I have one "idealized" move I am trying to do over and over always trying to get longer and bigger. But since golf is a lot more variable, letting it naturally develop into "body English" has already been helping. I do wonder if on full power how much of it is flexibility and mobility and if one is a little harder on certain parts of the bodies than others. But I guess we now have X-stepping and shuffle hopping world champions, don't we? Interesting.

All i know is - i had to order a Comet. I expect fireworks and aces every time i throw.. lol
I am going to caution you to watch this classic video first if you haven't seen it/forgot it. Notice McBeth does not appear to throw Comets often (that I can recall) after that lmao. I remember at one point Michael Johansen was asked about grip and I think was referring to McBeth when he said something like "Comets behave very well when you don't grip the snot out of them" or something. I'm not criticizing the peak 1060 6x World Champion, just saying it's understandable if they're not quite everyone's jam out of the box lmao. Paul also tends to like to throw a lot of his control shots close to true flat and adapted his competition form to that, whereas I tend to like to throw everything more hyzer like Gibson whenever I can and especially when putting some gas on a Comet. Apparently they can also coast on nasty distance shallow anhyzers but you need very good control over them to get the effect, which I'm starting to work on.

Timestamp (4:53 and then 8:58). Paul describes the Comet as "a little touchy right now for me."

Then just last year he threw one again talking about whether he had learned to throw it (2:43), looked nice, but he said he felt like everything he tried overlapped with things he already has:

Last edited:
Interesting - so you're very positive ape index, but don't really identify as quick twitch or coordinated. I wouldn't be surprised if hands on instruction from good people has a large effect when applied well. You also seem to have a passion and work ethic.

I think Weissman had replied to you here where he's talking about declines and compensation with age:

YouTube era spoils us for sure, and I'm very grateful I am "growing up" in it.
Yeah. I saw that, I'll check out those videos tonight probably.

One thing he noted in his responses to others over in that thread, that I found interesting and think may apply to my context as a golfer: he puts a lot of emphasis on the idea of a dominant hand/side. I grew up ambidextrous, due to spending the age of 2 to 3 pretty much with a cast on my dominant arm. So learning little stuff like throwing a normal ball, or holding a pencil, or eating all happened lefty for me. I am right hand dominant, though, so once the cast was removed I picked up other skills right my right hand.

If being ambidextrous is any sort of advantage in learning to throw a disc - I, for example, grew up pitching and playing the outfield and first base left handed, but because of the ease of throwing across the diamond I played 2nd/3rd/short right handed. I would also pitch right handed occasionally. But since I didn't learn to throw a football until I was much older, I only ever threw a football right handed.

So that might have really helped cut into my learning curve? I hadn't really thought about it until reading his posts in the other thread.

Yeah. I saw that, I'll check out those videos tonight probably.

One thing he noted in his responses to others over in that thread, that I found interesting and think may apply to my context as a golfer: he puts a lot of emphasis on the idea of a dominant hand/side. I grew up ambidextrous, due to spending the age of 2 to 3 pretty much with a cast on my dominant arm. So learning little stuff like throwing a normal ball, or holding a pencil, or eating all happened lefty for me. I am right hand dominant, though, so once the cast was removed I picked up other skills right my right hand.

If being ambidextrous is any sort of advantage in learning to throw a disc - I, for example, grew up pitching and playing the outfield and first base left handed, but because of the ease of throwing across the diamond I played 2nd/3rd/short right handed. I would also pitch right handed occasionally. But since I didn't learn to throw a football until I was much older, I only ever threw a football right handed.

So that might have really helped cut into my learning curve? I hadn't really thought about it until reading his posts in the other thread.
Yeah, I believe in dominance issues, and crossed relationships. E.g., I'm usually right eye dominant but for whatever reason my dominance drifted to my left eye when throwing backhand, which contributes to my head rushing ahead somewhat.

I also found a lot of kinetic connections to boxing, but I'm used to throwing heavy crosses and uppercuts right-handed and left-footed planting. Incidentally I think that helped me figure out my overhand throws once I swung a lot of clubs in the Fall with the same right-handed-left-footed sequence, but converting it to forehand is tougher for me.

Oddly, I did used to use a right-handed spinning backfist off the right plant foot to good effect (like Sidewinder's Shaolin Lumberjack), which is more like a disc golf RHBH, but I couldn't really connect it to the backhand. I suspect part of it was I found the grip on discs and "hit point" so weird, but that's gotten significantly better now. I might try throwing standstills like a spinning backfist if I remember to in the field next time, I'm curious what will happen now.