• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Par Talk

Which of these best describes Hole 18 at the Utah Open?

• A par 5 where 37% of throws are hero throws, and 21% are double heroes.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some holes are highly resistant to any attempt to assign par.
Truth.

The hole in question here "seems" to be Hole 10 at the Reykjavik Open. At 522 feet my immediate leaning would be to Par 4 but without any other info it is impossible to really say. Are there forced layups, elevation, or just a ridiculously tight fairway? It scores like a Par 5.

Truth.

The hole in question here "seems" to be Hole 10 at the Reykjavik Open. At 522 feet my immediate leaning would be to Par 4 but without any other info it is impossible to really say. Are there forced layups, elevation, or just a ridiculously tight fairway? It scores like a Par 5.
Not hole #7?

You are right. It's 7. Even shorter at 479, all the other questions still apply.
OK, then.

Here is the scoring distribution for 1000-rated players on hole #7.
ScoringDist7.png
Using the Par by Average Score method, this falls just under the cutoff of 4.95 so par of 4 would be indicated.

Using the Par by Scoring Distribution method would indicate a par 5. Barely. However, because of statistical fluctuation, there is more than a 10% chance this result would have been seen even if the underlying actual distribution was that of a difficult par 4.

Independent of the two measures above, the scores of 3 bring up an issue. If a 3 is possible, shouldn't players be able to play for 4 quite often? There are hints that by going for the birdie, the better players are getting stung by 5s. If so, then those scores of 5 were not the result of errorless play. Thus, no matter how many happened they shouldn't be included in determining par.

Another way to look at it is: What throws would be required to get a 4? Even if there are a lot of trouble around the target so experts expected two putts, that just leaves two 240 foot (73 meter) throws to get there. I think a 1000-rated player should be expected to be able to do that, even in the woods. Where is the other errorless throw which would be needed to call this a par 5?

Either par 4 or par 5 would be defensible. (Sometimes things hang on the edge between the buckets instead of falling neatly into one or the other.)

I personally think this is a nasty par 4 which tricks players into making too many errors. Obviously, experts can get a 4 with errorless play; but not enough of them are doing it to prove it should be expected.

Calling it a par 4 might be the cause of those errors: highly skilled players feel they must go for birdie even though the risk is too great on this hole.

The hole does a good job of measuring skill, so I wouldn't want to mess with it too much. (For players rated 970 and up, the scoring spread width was very large: 3.97, with a good correlation to ratings.)

So you actually think there's a difference (technically or in common parlance) between 'unbirdiable' and 'nonbirdiable'. If so, you're coming across as more stubborn and foolish than you need to be. Oh well....
Well, from here, you sound rather foolish. I read the former as "nobody can count on getting a birdie" and the latter as "nobody will ever get a birdie." Granted, I have a degree in English and reading for context is a habit for me.