• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Hero 235

Dr. Bogey

Birdie Member
The other day I rediscovered a Hero 235 in my stash of miscellaneous flying discs. It's basically a larger-diameter Sonic (aka the Hero 215). I threw it around the yard for a bit and played some catch with my kids, and WOW is it ever a fantastic frisbee! So glidey, so easy to throw and catch. Understable, but easily controllable. I'm gonna try bagging it in place of my Lightning Upshot for a while.

I couldn't find a dedicated thread for the 235, so I thought I'd start one. I did some digging for info, and 235s are available in some interesting variations. They're mainly marketed as dog discs. Most info was found at the Hero Discs website.

• Air 235. Looks like this is the basic model, about 103g.
  • Xtra 235 Freestyle. More durable plastic, about 105g.
  • Xtra 235 Distance. Grippier plastic, about 110g.
  • SuperClass. DX plastic, seems like it comes in heavier weights but I couldn't find any specific weight info.
  • SuperHero. Champion plastic. I saw one at 136g.
  • SuperStar. Star plastic. I saw weights from 125g to 143g.
  • SuperAero 235–K9 Candy. Looks like Blizzard plastic. Weights from 116g–136g.
  • SuperAero 235–Starlite. Starlite plastic, with a weight range of 117g–121g.
  • Innova SuperDog. GStar plastic, one listed at 148g.

The 235 is PDGA approved as "Hero Disc Type 235 from Innova Champion Discs." I saw conflicting opinions on old posts here about whether or not all the variations are included in that approval. I'd be interested in seeing something definitive on the matter.

The superclass branded ones are closer to star than Dx. When we thought superclass events were going to be a real thing we some new options hit the market. They did come in heavier weights. I have a 160s and one close to 180. Came quite warped and was flippier than the 160s one.
Fun Ds for sure.
May be able to find good chatter about them in the old superclass thead

The other day I rediscovered a Hero 235 in my stash of miscellaneous flying discs. It's basically a larger-diameter Sonic (aka the Hero 215). I threw it around the yard for a bit and played some catch with my kids, and WOW is it ever a fantastic frisbee! So glidey, so easy to throw and catch. Understable, but easily controllable. I'm gonna try bagging it in place of my Lightning Upshot for a while.

I couldn't find a dedicated thread for the 235, so I thought I'd start one. I did some digging for info, and 235s are available in some interesting variations. They're mainly marketed as dog discs. Most info was found at the Hero Discs website.

• Air 235. Looks like this is the basic model, about 103g.
  • Xtra 235 Freestyle. More durable plastic, about 105g.
  • Xtra 235 Distance. Grippier plastic, about 110g.
  • SuperClass. DX plastic, seems like it comes in heavier weights but I couldn't find any specific weight info.
  • SuperHero. Champion plastic. I saw one at 136g.
  • SuperStar. Star plastic. I saw weights from 125g to 143g.
  • SuperAero 235–K9 Candy. Looks like Blizzard plastic. Weights from 116g–136g.
  • SuperAero 235–Starlite. Starlite plastic, with a weight range of 117g–121g.
  • Innova SuperDog. GStar plastic, one listed at 148g.

The 235 is PDGA approved as "Hero Disc Type 235 from Innova Champion Discs." I saw conflicting opinions on old posts here about whether or not all the variations are included in that approval. I'd be interested in seeing something definitive on the matter.

I throw the Supersonic (215) for my dog all the time and was told by Sam at Hero Disc that they are PDGA legal under the Sonic approval. I don't see any reason any of the variants would not be legal. These discs are fantastic for learning to manipulate angles, etc.

The 235 is specifically approved. Also the smallest diameter approved for Superclass events.

The ones approved for competition follow the same weight guidelines as standard discs -- 8.3 g/cm of outside diameter. There were quite a few of the Superheros on the market 190+g when they first came out. Can't find any over 180 now and I doubt any more will get made as the dream of Superclass never got traction. Its a moose of an upshot disc and fabulous for playing catch on windy beaches.

Hero just came out with these PDGA approved Hero 235 ( Super Star) weights ranging 160g-190g.

Attachments

• IMG_6945.jpeg
    IMG_6945.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Nice! if only superclass events would come back with them :ROFLMAO: My high 170s is what I found to be the best putting super class disc. I am still more a Zephyr guy for throwing, and like the TeMoko for "OS" stuff.

Real talk though; for golf, if you like fastbacks you cannot beat a sonic. If you are like me and love the Zephyr the Polecat just works better.
Smaller diameter means less affected by the wind and maybe more important they just stay in the basket better.
Don't let this dissuade you from trying some Superclass discs! Go play some old school rounds every now and then or enjoy one of the best catch discs ever (superhero is still my go to "beach" frisbee)

@thatdirtykid
Being that I compete in Disc Dog long distance competitions and other events, I have really mastered and fell love in love with those discs. I use 120-125g taffy ( star) super sonics and they released limited edition halo super stars 235s last year that i stocked up on. The one long standing distance event that is its own tour series, Quad, have stayed true to requiring 110g weight limit fast back style discs, so I use the Hero extra and hero air for that event only.
They dont last long when your teammate is a 70lb Amstaff with a gator like bite strength.

After being away from throwing discs for 6-7 years, these discs helped me so much in improving my form overall for control and controlled distance. They have to be thrown so pure, without any oat, its translated over to throwing golf discs. I used to be known as only a power/distance guy, but these K9 discs taught me touch and finesse.

I would love for another manufacture to step in and compete with Hero ( Innova) and create a full line up for K9 competition discs like Hero. Disc Dog competition landscape resembles early disc golf in a low of ways, they have updog events on ESPN last year, and will this year too.

Last edited:
@thatdirtykid

After being away from throwing discs for 6-7 years, these discs helped me so much in improving my form overall for control and controlled distance. They have to be thrown so pure, without any oat, its translated over to throwing golf discs. I used to be known as only a power/distance guy, but these K9 discs taught me touch and finesse.

I would love for another manufacture to step in and compete with Hero ( Innova) and create a full line up for K9 competition discs like Hero.
I get most of my dg practice throwing the (taffy) SuperSonic for my lab. Nothing better for teaching you to manipulate angles, etc.

I have been trying to get Prodigy to make a dog disc for years at this point- their naming system would perfectly accommodate the K-9.

I get most of my dg practice throwing the (taffy) SuperSonic for my lab. Nothing better for teaching you to manipulate angles, etc.

I have been trying to get Prodigy to make a dog disc for years at this point- their naming system would perfectly accommodate the K-9.
Thats awesome!
The market is there for it, and disc dog people would love another company to come out with a full line up. For the most part, it's either Hero ( innova) or Hyperflite.

Thats awesome!
The market is there for it, and disc dog people would love another company to come out with a full line up. For the most part, it's either Hero ( innova) or Hyperflite.
We have tried one Hyperflite disc- I can't recall what it was but I didn't like the feel. Have also done the Bite a couple times. The Innova domination of that market is similar to the grip Discraft has on Ultimate. My dog's Mom did both dock diving and toss and fetch- I just don't have the time or self discipline for us to do it.

We have tried one Hyperflite disc- I can't recall what it was but I didn't like the feel. Have also done the Bite a couple times. The Innova domination of that market is similar to the grip Discraft has on Ultimate. My dog's Mom did both dock diving and toss and fetch- I just don't have the time or self discipline for us to do it.
Hyperflite , most of their discs fly like bricks, and I agree with you about the feel.
That's a great point about Innova & Discraft - ultimate and disc dog .
I could be wrong, but I would imagine disc dog would be a more lucrative market versus ultimate. Most disc dog players are having to continue buying more and more discs due to their teammates, but also like dg a lot of DD are always looking around for latest greatest discs, and purchase many discs. Where I'm assuming some players on ultimate teams do not even own a disc, and ones that do probably own like 1-3?

I heard from other Disc dog people that were playing years back, that Lat 64 was really promoting and doing a lot with pushing the Bite at UpDog events. But nothing else ever materialized, and I don't believe they ever really sponsored or did anything else like that .
One of my friends in disc dog, he is part owner in a dog show business, they perform at sporting events, fairs , ect.
last year, their Dynamic Disc sponsored their business. They hooked up them up with DD pop up tent canopy, disc bags, shirts, and lat 64 bites. the bite is pretty much useless in majority of disc dog competition events, I only hesr of it ever used in the updog game far out, which is distance game where it can be air shot or roller, cumulative of 3 throws ( 1 bonus throw* if missed hurts score* )