1 Helpful / 1 Not
Beginners be cautious
Pros: Good tee pads and signs
Big enough for 18 holes
Lots of shade
Seemed like a nice neighborhood park
Other activity parts to the park
Cons: Not a great layout and sometimes hard to find next tee pad.
Too many places you can lose a disc on first 9.
Mosquitos around the water holes.
Not sure if distance on pads is accurate.
Basket numbers and color strip are faded.
Other Thoughts: Keep in mind I am a newcomer and this is the first time I have played this course. As with other courses in the area there are plenty of pine trees to keep you on your game. I have been known to try and 'chop down' a couple of trees with my discs, which I do not recommend. The first 9 holes were interesting since there was water in play on a few of the holes. I have to admit I was a little intimidated by these and especially on hole 5 where there is water, and you have to cross two foot bridges. There are a number of palm bushes around the basket #5 so we had someone stand near the basket to watch each person's throw so we would not lose any disc. I mention this because I don't see how anyone could play this hole alone and be able to find your disc once it is thrown. There is an open area around the basket, however you cannot see it from the tee pad. Better players may not have an issue with this.
Once you get through the first 9, the back 9 were all in one area in the park with really nowhere to lose any disc.
I still enjoyed playing this course and would play again with a group, or just play the back 9 alone.
1 of 2 people found this review helpful.
2 Helpful / 1 Not
Tale of two courses
Pros: 1) Locale near the beach and major highways. Located just south of HWY 98 and the Pensacola Bay Bridge made for easy access
3)Holes 10-18 are friendly for families and beginners. You are really just throwing through tall pine growth. Good for kids and families new to the sport
4) The course is marked with pro and am tees and have measured feet.
5) Holes 2-9 are more geared towards pro/int and would enjoy the challenge the island has to offer.
6) Good Ace Race Set up.
Cons: 1) The map layout at the parking lot is NOT accurate. We took a picture of it to make sure we didnt get backtracked. The map was off in terms of locating holes.
2) You had to backtrack across the bridge to get to the teepad on three from the #2 basket. Also hole 5 and 6 were in my opinion awful for a layout. You had to backtrack across the #5 fairway (if it can be called that. Its more like palm fronds) to get to the hole #6 teepad which was pretty darn close to the edge of this island. It could prevent a safety hazard to those not paying attention.
3) Hole 11 is covered in sand. Due to some construction going on in the area I think.
4) Lots of litter everywhere. People leaving cigarette butts and cans. I am not a big fan of the ACE graffiti. It adds to the the trashy factor and some simple solutions such as an Ace board or some signage for proper ace recording etiquette might help too. Needs some next tee signs rather than just the one transitioning you across the street from 1 to 2.
Other Thoughts: The ECDCGC and/or the Rec Dept needs to put some TLC into this course. It could be a great starter course with some modifications to the island area by some minimal clear cutting of the palm frond bushes on the island. I was afraid I was going to pull up a pit viper near those fronds. The course just needs some tidying up and the map at the front needs to be reworked. The neighborhood is pretty nice, but with some modifications, this course could really shine.
2 of 3 people found this review helpful.
2 Helpful / 1 Not
Pros: All holes have concrete tee pads for both am and pro. Nice variety of lengths, shot selections. Trees hang low...so,it forces you to throw low and work on the mid game.
Cons: Although there's a map at the course entrance...some holes can be a little difficult to find...though they are in the vicinty of the previous hole. Not too bad though. Would like for a few holes to be more "wide open"...but, not too many of those exist on this course. Palmettos are a pain on the front 9. Back 9 could be challenging for the beginner if a lot of people are around (errant throws, etc).
Other Thoughts: Nice course to play...just wish it were closer to home. Course should become easier once you're familiar with the layout.
2 of 3 people found this review helpful.
14 Helpful / 0 Not
Play Sunset then watch the sunset over the gulf.
Pros: 1) Dual asphalt tees framed by 2x lumber. Generally in good shape. Although somewhat lumpy they still work just fine. There are no confidence issues in the footing, just a little lumpiness.
2) Benches are scattered throughout the course which is always nice.
3) Signs are nice and tall, and colored blue and white posts/stakes. On the holes where tees are in the same location the white post has a blue band around it to show they share the same tee. They help in navigation and the list the hole #, the distance and whether or not it is the pro or am tee. Shared tees say Pro/Am to help avoid any confusion.
4) Challenge is present on many of the holes starting out with the second hole throwing to an island green. Shot shaping is required to get around trees and obstacles and avoiding the water is also a factor on your shot selection and shape.
5) Overall this is an awesome property for disc golf, it has some areas that are very unique. It also has the nice mature trees that help to create a classic style disc golf course. Sure it isn't tightly wooded like many of todays holes, but it has enough trees to force you to throw certain shots and directions.
6) Water is present and creates some challenge on a few holes. #2 is an island green with a decent length of approach to help you avoid the water. #4 basket is tucked within about 25-35' short of the water. #5 throws back onto an island again and #6 the entire hole is on the island. I threw what I thought to eb a parfect shot on #6 and apparently it skimmed off a palmettos and flew into the moat (for lack of a better word) surrounding the island.
7) The location of this course is awesome. It is so close to the beaches of Gulf Breeze and is in a quaint little area. The park is nice and has all sorts of other things going on from tennis, to skateboarding, baseball and I think i saw a basketball court on our way out.
8) Great design taking all of the best areas on this property and utilizing them as best they could. The use of the island and the water was excellent in my opinion. The wooded area of 1, 11-18 was also very well used, natural lanes were clear and baskets were placed very well into spots to make you thread the needle on ocassion, but open enough on many of the holes that a simple hyzer shot would work.
9) Am tees seem appropriate in shortening the holes up and making the water holes less difficult for the beginner (although I still wouldn't call this course
Cons: 1) Damn palmettos shrubs. I can't stand this shrub for disc golf courses because of never really knowing where you may have finished up. You may lose some discs just because of the vegetation. It seems like there isnt much that can be done about the shrubs as I am sure they will keep spreading and sprout up all over I just wish the holes could be more defined than they are and not have the palmettos right in the middle of what I would call a fairway.
2) There are a few areas of the course that are slightly unsafe. Some tees are too close to past baskets, and fairways run too close together. This mainly happens on the back 9, but the area between 5 and 6 isn't real large and an errant drive could easily end up back in the other fairway.
3) The hyzer and straight shot are simply overused here. There are not enough holes that might require an anhyzer shot.
4) The possibility of lost discs here is too great for the three holes in my opinion. Sure I like a challenge but I hate to think about how easy it would be to lose a disc, not only in the water, but in the palmettos too. It is a negative but I would still rather try and execute the shot.
5) Overall not truly forgiving to the beginner. The water may still be in play, and the course has enough trees they better be ready to handle some plinko shots.
6) Parking lot could only handle about 6-10 cars. The walk to the disc golf course from the other parking lot over by the baseball diamond would be a long way, but still manageable.
Other Thoughts: We left the course at about 5:00 and headed out to the end of the beach in Gulf Breeze. We watched the sunset come down over the gulf and took plenty of pictures. We also drove out the towards the National Seashore and had to drive through a stretch of road that had sand windblown all over it. It felt like I had returned to Wisconsin and it looked the same with the old sand piled up along the road and the new soft sand had blown over the top. It looked exactly like a snow drift.
In terms of the course it truly is 2 different 9's. Holes 2-9 are the tighter more difficult holes and includes the only water on the course. Then you go into the back 9 that is a little monotonous through the tall mature pines and other trees. Someone before me mentioned the family golf is holes 1, 11-18 and the advanced crowd would do better on Holes 2-10. This may be by design because they very easily could have routed the course differently, but either way this course has some holes for everyone and the short tees do help make the tougher front 9 more manageable for the beginners.
It was wonderful to see a family of four out together playing with normal frisbees. I really wanted to tell them they were all "good frolfers" since they were playing disc golf with frisbees, but I had to come back to this site and I would have been feeling guilty. I had a good time and so will you if you keep your mind open. It is a decent course in a great location and for that I have to give it a 3.5. It would draw me to the course if I was in the area and if I ever go through again I will make sure to start dging about an hour and a half before sunset so I have time to get to the beach!
14 of 14 people found this review helpful.
2 Helpful / 4 Not
Not well balanced
Pros: Signs with distances at each tee.
2 Tees for most holes, some concrete, some asphalt
Some good terrain variety varying from tropical on holes 2-9 to an old growth forest for the remaining holes.
Cons: Hole 5 is pretty much ridiculous though they did mark the basket location it would take either a large amount of luck or knowing the course very well to score reasonably.
Asphalt tees ripply.
Distances seemed off.
Other Thoughts: The course plays around a nice sized pond and then through an old forest. The front 9 has some good variety but it also has some silliness. My biggest complaint is that hole 5 is just random dumb luck. Hole 2 plays on an island but the short is right at the water edge and should be a pitch onto the island. The long tee will splash you if you do not have experience.
Hole 9 (I believe) had a nice outcropping peninsula with timbers to keep your putts from rolling into the pond.
The course seemed kind of repetitive once you got past the tropical holes and were pretty much ace/birdie runs for the most part.
I think most families that play here skip the front 9 and a lot of the more experienced skip the back 9. Not sure a happy medium could be struck there with the limited land.
2 of 6 people found this review helpful.
2 Helpful / 10 Not
Pros: I recommend playing the long (blue) tees on this course as they are much more interesting than the short white tees. The course is well-balanced with a nice variety of left, right, straight, short and long and OB holes.
It's five minutes from the beach, and a nice beach at that. A fun round can be played in under an hour because there is almost no walking in between holes. The course designers made smart use of the limited footprint, with a wide variety of technical shots required to shoot well. Drains extremely well as the soil is quite sandy. A pretty pond and two islands give the course a testy flavor. Lots of big pine trees.
Cons: Flat. The pond that will eat your discs and occasionally there are snakes around the pond so be aware when you're looking. A few of the tee signs are missing.
Other Thoughts: Some of the asphalt tee pads aren't as smooth as others, so be careful. Wildlife is prevalent...I have seen ospreys, snakes, rabbits and owls at one time or another.
2 of 12 people found this review helpful.
0 Helpful / 4 Not
FUN TO PLAY
Pros: Fun to play, the island hole -2- is different and fun to play, almost aced #3 the first time playing it but hit just below the basket, am and pro tees
Cons: seems that the back nine were not very well thought out, the front 9 were fun. signs could be better especially on the back nine, got stung by yellow jackets on # 8.
Other Thoughts: overall - the front nine should be kept as is but the back nine should be reworked.
0 of 4 people found this review helpful.
3 Helpful / 2 Not
Pros: A 18 hole course with double chain baskets and concrete tee pads. Has shorts and longs.There are tee signs on every hole. Short and wooded with island holes. Course was very fun and challenging.
Cons: Tee signs can be confusing because they point in the opposite direction of the hole. Some of the holes can get kind of repetitive. Some of the baskets are hard to see so having a spotter would be good.
3 of 5 people found this review helpful.
2 Helpful / 4 Not
Pros: NICE VARIETY OF SHOTS, ISLAND HOLES ARE FUN BUT TOUGH. BOTH PRO AND REC PADS.
Cons: NONE THE COURSE PLAYED WELL. AFTER THE FIRST ROUND, IT IS VERY EASY TO NAVIGATE.
Other Thoughts: TRY TO PLAY THIS COURSE IF YOU ARE IN THE AREA.
2 of 6 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 2 Not
Pros: Front 9 are a lot of fun.
Some play across water and along water.
Good pro and am shots.
I really enjoy playing at this course.
Cons: Back 9 are so so.
They can get kind of boring because some of them are alike.
I wish there was a map that showed you what the hole looked like on each tee.
Tends to get a little crowed at times.
Other Thoughts: Great course to go check out.
Really gorgeous during the summer!!
1 of 3 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.