Austin, TX
Roy G. Guerrero DGC Share
Uploaded By: ERicJ Hole #8 (Taken 6/2012)
Hole #8 Long Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Roy G shaved for Winter

5+    2/4/2017   2/14/2017
Review By: tst3c
Pros: Roy G is the perfect course- to me, it is my expectation for a pro-level course. Shot variety galore (BH + FH needed), great mix of Par 3's and 4's of multiple lengths, respectively. Some technical holes, many more open, beautiful holes. Good mix of shade and sun, many holes with good seating.

Roy G was recently trimmed + nearly gutted of all of the debris, long grass and off-fairway hazards (like bamboo). Since then, this course has jumped to a frustratingly disappointing 3.25 to a 4.5, EASY. It design is fabulous, layout very challenging but attackable for intermediate+ levels (difficult, but with great accuracy can be conquerable for lesser skilled players). There are also multiple ways to attempt many of the holes as well as many holes having multiple tee shots. For a player that multiple types of shots in the arsenal, this is heaven for the Austin Metro Area.

It's the best course I have ever played, with La Mirada (Los Angeles Area) and Williamson County DGC (Leander) coming in at 2nd and 3rd.

Cons: Finding this course and getting to the first tee is very difficult. The bridge that connects to that part of the trail where the course begins is currently closed (and quite gone), so you have to go around a fence, hop down into the river ravine (very little to no water if is hasn't rained very recently), reclimb up to the other side, walk uphill a bit, then find the 1st teebox. Eventually this won't be a problem, as that bridge will eventually be repaired. Don't let it sway you.

Also, Hole #18 is ridiculously far away from where you park. Either you park at #18 and hike all the way to Hole #1, or vice-versa. I feel that most disc-golfers love walking anyways, so it's more of a preferential thing.

There isn't a whole ton of elevation changes. There some, but not enough to be a positive, nor the lack there of be a negative.

It'd be nice to have more trash cans. I feel like there are some bags tied to trees, but I don't really recall a ton of trash. It's also a park with a trail, so outside of disc golf there are going to be some culprits.

It is very long, so often you feel like you're just tossing really hard a lot; however, I like to test my accuracy at distance so it works for me, personally.

If it isn't trimmed/cleaned up and particularly when it's over grown, it can be a NIGHTMARE. As of the beginning of February the course was perfect.
Other Thoughts: Get out very soon and play while it's manicured. I don't know how frequently it'll happen, so take advantage of it. Bring food/water. Dog friendly, especially if you want to tire them out.

Best course in Austin?

2-4    11/13/2016   11/14/2016
Review By: Spiraledout
Pros: Complex fairways, tight placement shots, and big big holes. It's all here. I had played before but not for years, and I just can't wait to go back. Nothing easy, but lots of chances to shoot well. Inspiring layout and beautiful scenery.
Cons: A few too many "G-curve" holes (appropriately for Roy G I guess), and a lot of soft righty hyzers. Holes start to feel like just another long heave, but the changing scenery makes it interesting throughout. Casual players would do well to play with someone who can help the, find discs and holes and help hustle them along. I was there on Sunday morning, but I bet it gets busy in high season. Not very much elevation for hill country, but that didn't even occur to me on the course.
Other Thoughts: I've played Circle C and East Metro and I think this one is the most fun. Circle C has too many rocks and chews up your discs. This course is more interesting, even if there is less elevation.

very poor conditions for a 4 star course

1    9/1/2016   9/28/2016
Review By: discNDav
Pros: Great pair of cement tee pads along with very good tee signs. Had the look and feel of a John Houck course. Lots of shade in the hot TX weather. Long and challenging. Wooded yet with very nice "fair" ways, nothing too tight. Once I found hole #1 it was easy to follow without a map (except btw 15 and 16). Plenty of par 4's! Nice rock benches at both sets of tees.
Cons: The park is easy to find but not the course. I was aware of the construction as mentioned here but there were no signs indicating where the course starts. After climbing down and back up a washed out construction area with signs that says "do not enter", I did find #1.

On 9/1/16 the lack of course maintenance (lack of cut grass and weeds) made it almost unplayable. The vegetation was nearly knee high in places making a lost disc a high possibility.

Some of the yellow DisCathers were old and rusting.

A long walk between 15 and 16 and after 18 back to the parking lot.

Mostly flat with little or no elevation, I guess this is normal for this part of TX (I'm from the east coast).
Other Thoughts: If the conditions were normal, this is definitely a 4 to 4.5 star course but when I played they were ..TERRIBLE. After 4-5 holes, the lack of maintenance was less of an issue yet still not good.

This course was on my wish list for over a year so I played it anyway, I wouldn't go back unless I knew the conditions were up to par.

Thinking I'm being generous with a 3.5 rating considering what I encountered. It's got great potential but it's not very good right now.

Big course with long shots

1    3/14/2016   3/15/2016
Review By: Av8rga
Pros: Good scene with many players. Maybe its sxsw week.. Bring your big shoes this course will test every driver in your bag. Lots of shade. Front 9 plays better than the back 9. After 5, bang a left on the dirt road if you follow the worn path you can find you way around easily. I played solo, the groups let me play through so thanks. Great boxes and all the approach areas have a fresh layer of mulch. All pins have a nice mat.
Cons: I couldn't find the course. No signs anywhere just a general area of where to park. Tagged behind some guys with bags, across some broken bridge to #1 from there i was good.
Other Thoughts: Bring bug spray

Challenging Austin Course

1    1/18/2016   1/21/2016
Review By: c_a_miller
Pros: Without a doubt, Roy G is a monster course that will challenge every skill level. It is challenging, but every fairway and tee shot is "fair," meaning I did not feel that there were randomly placed trees off the tee or in the fairway that needed more luck than skill. To put it in more simple terms, each tee has a defined shot off the tee.

The fairways were wide and almost gave a ball golf feel to the course. Off of the fairways, the rough is thick, but not thick enough to lose a disc or have a hard time throwing out.

The tee pads were great. The longer holes had "shorter" tees, which had sets of concrete pads with bricks on the border. They were some of the best tee pads I have ever played on.

Navigation was very easy. Most of the times, there were a path bordered with rocks leading you to the next tee from the previous basket.

The course is relatively clean even without any trash cans on the course. Pack it in, pack it out. The view of the Austin skyline over the Colorado River on Hole #17 is pretty cool.
Cons: As of playing in mid-January 2016, many of the tee signs had been removed from the rocks that they were initially pasted to. With the huge fluctuation of distances from hole to hole, it made knowing the distances impossible.

The course had virtually no elevation or water to speak of, which I felt made the course seem a little bland all together. There was no hole where I thought to myself "This is the signature hole of the course," and from looking at other peoples' reviews, I am not alone in saying that there is a lack of signature hole.

The long walk from Hole 18 back to the parking lot/hole 1 was a bit of a nuisance.
Other Thoughts: Like previously mentioned, this course is a monster and should be treated as such. Give yourself ample time to play, and if the course is busy, be prepared to wait to throw your shots.

All in all, this is a great course in the Austin area. Personally, I prefer Circle C, the other premier course in the area, to Roy G.

Great course, would play again

1    11/27/2015   11/30/2015
Review By: maceireann
Pros: Great signage, you never have to wonder if you are going the right way. Challenging holes, with a substantial investment in the benches, tree clearing, trash cans, etc.
Cons: Some signs were missing or vandalised. It's a bit muddy in the rain. Maybe could use some gravel or other drainage solution in low-lying spots.
Other Thoughts: Probably 15 mins from the airport. If you have a long layover, this is a good one.

This Course was only 3 miles from my hotel!

1    12/2/2014   5/12/2015
Review By: mndiscg
Pros: +Nice tee pads, they were a pleasure to throw from. Shorts and longs on most every hole.
+Great signage, among the best that I've seen. I played alone on a December morning with hardly another soul in the park and I never had any issues finding the next tee or basket. Signs are big and colorful.
+When I played it was pretty empty but I imagine this park being popular and a very fun atmosphere to play in.
+The woods are the perfect density. There are multiple gaps for you to try and hit and if you don't, the woods aren't likely to swallow your disc. The undergrowth is much worse at many courses that I play in the midwest.
+Lots of great holes that you have to throw far and accurately more than once. Not a pitch and putt ever.
+Trash cans, bathrooms, ample parking. Nothing too special but everything that you really need.
+The trees would be nice for shade on hot Texas summer days.
+A solid variety of holes. Nothing felt repetitive and it was definitely fun.
+Nice benches, some might need those during a long round on a hot day.
+Baskets are nice and new
+Shouldn't lose a disc here.
Cons: -No ace runs! ;)
-Overall, a bit too long for my personal preference. Many like this kind of course and I do every once in awhile but I would struggle to play here every day.
-Some trash issues but not too bad, I've seen much worse at other big metro area courses.
-There is a lot of walking involved. I think that I may have especially felt like this since I had to run (I'm a runner) just over 3 miles each way in order to play this course.
-Some vandalism was evident. It wasn't the worst but I don't know why any has to be done.
-As some have said, not a lot of variation between short and long tees on some of the bigger holes. A third set or just more variation between the two would be good.
Other Thoughts: +As I mentioned before, I had to run to and from this course. I was in Austin for a convention and only had 3 discs and no car. I often play with a small bag so this didn't really affect my review.
+Definitely worth a stop if you are a serious disc golfer. Due to the length of the course, plan a few hours to play. Especially if it might be busy.
+If you are a very new player, be careful about coming here. It is challenging and long.

Great Course

5+    3/30/2015   4/2/2015
Review By: DHempe
Pros: -Plenty of garbage cans! (Keep our courses beautiful people!)
-Great variety of holes will let you pull out the full arsenal of discs!
-Real long course, overcrowding isn't a real issue
-Easy to follow
-Pros and beginners will have a good time here, thanks to the double concrete tees
-Hole 17 has you driving towards a pretty gnarly view of the city

Cons: -Lots of trash piling up around the trashcans, park department doesn't change it enough
-Can get overgrown, making finding discs a challenge
Other Thoughts: Another favorite of mine in Austin! Shoot me a DM if you're looking for someone to play with!

Great Course

1    5/24/2014   8/19/2014
Review By: Joe6Pack
Pros: Course is well maintained and fairly easy to navigate. Mix of long and short holes as well as varying shot types makes this a challenging and fun course to play (I played from pro tees).
Cons: Minor con: Little bit of a walk from parking lot to tee 1.
Other Thoughts: This is a must visit course if you're in the Austin area.

Great Course, bring Deet/OFF

1    6/19/2014   6/23/2014
Review By: SigLane
This review was updated on 8/27/2014
Pros: Update 8/27/2014: Freshly mowed, trimmed etc. I think they even added a trash can or two. Didn't feel like I was holding on to trash as long as the first time we played it. August heat is really subdued here thanks to all of the tall trees. Foot traffic is really low too. We only ran into a few people. Not sure why that is?! Maybe I should give bad reviews so I can keep this gem to myself ;) Really falling in love with this course.
Original Review: Pro and regular tee boxes. No cedar trees. Designed around the large beautiful oak, pecan and hack-berry trees the area is known for. The trees can be disc magnets or they can give you a rush as you miss a bunch of them through tiny holes. Was super fun when that happened. Fairways are nicely cut down (still a lot of grass to catch and stop a disc so very few bounces yielded additional yardage). Not overcrowded, yet. The clientele was not as shady and drunk as you'll find over at Mary Moore Searight. Sorry, but that's truth. Long course with long shots required. Definitely championship course. Obviously a lot of work went into this course. Super challenging but super fun.
Cons: Mosquitos, flies, nats, etc. Bring Deet or OFF because you'll be sorry if you didn't. Few trash cans (I think two as of 6/19/2014). Be prepared to pack it in and pack it out. If you send something off the fairway be prepared to end up with a ton of sticker burrs in your shoe laces and socks. By the end of a decent round you'll still probably end up with quite a few. The rest was very positive.
Other Thoughts: Bring a good amount of water. The forest is dense in places and thanks to the Austin humidity and high temps it can get a bit stifling in there. Really take in how beautiful trees and tall canopies. It's a lot of fun to sling a disc on this course. You need to have length to your game if your going to par these holes. I definitely recomend this to the seasoned player. I'd send someone who is playing for the first time to Zilker Park or Mary Moore instead as those are shorter holes.

< Prev 1 2 3 4