• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2022 Disc Goals

last year I achieved my goal of logging over 1000 rounds on my udisc app since starting in 2014, actually have played 1097. My scores have improved the last half of last year, but I'm at the age where I have to accept that my physical abilities are going to decline, so, try to play smarter and improve my form as best I can. I don't do tournaments but play a lot and enjoy the company of some friends that I have made over the years playing disc golf.:)

I simply want to get better, but have specific non-DG items to do this. Mid 50s, desk job, so some things have suffered over the last 10 years, but I want to use DG to help me really focus on fitness, since I enjoy playing so much. And the best exercise is enjoying what you are doing for exercise...

1) Get in better condition--treadmill, biking, longer hikes, kayaking, short backpacking (I do all these anyway, but want to do more). I want to get through two rounds at Toboggan without feeling like someone beat me half to death.
2) Better flexibility--stretching mostly, every day. Strengthening the muscles/tendons/ligaments involved. The stronger and more flexible the rubber band...
3) Overall weight training-not power lifting, but just mild to medium core training mostly, but also upper body strengthening of joint ligaments/tendons, to better handle the stresses of throwing (just in general, not necessarily from strong-arming).

No specific goals like raising rating, or personal bests, I think if I do 1-3 above and just have fun, getting better will take care of itself really.

Separate from this, is to keep it fun for my kids, 3 of which really seem to enjoy the sport.

I simply want to get better, but have specific non-DG items to do this. Mid 50s, desk job, so some things have suffered over the last 10 years, but I want to use DG to help me really focus on fitness, since I enjoy playing so much. And the best exercise is enjoying what you are doing for exercise...

1) Get in better condition--treadmill, biking, longer hikes, kayaking, short backpacking (I do all these anyway, but want to do more). I want to get through two rounds at Toboggan without feeling like someone beat me half to death.
2) Better flexibility--stretching mostly, every day. Strengthening the muscles/tendons/ligaments involved. The stronger and more flexible the rubber band...
3) Overall weight training-not power lifting, but just mild to medium core training mostly, but also upper body strengthening of joint ligaments/tendons, to better handle the stresses of throwing (just in general, not necessarily from strong-arming).

No specific goals like raising rating, or personal bests, I think if I do 1-3 above and just have fun, getting better will take care of itself really.

Separate from this, is to keep it fun for my kids, 3 of which really seem to enjoy the sport.

I think I posted in the technique section, but kind of similar goals.

My motivation is for my body to handle travel events at my primary hobby (SCCA autocross), but I think the desire to improve my disc golf experience is what will get me there.

I'm doing a body weight routine 3 days a week and doing hip and ankle mobility exercises every day. And supplementing that with exercise bike and yoga and some light dumb bell routines to keep me moving. And big diet changes. I don't care about weight, but I set weight goals because I know that will keep diet in check.

My goal is to throw for more distance on hole 1, but more importantly, to throw for that same distance on hole 18 and hole 36 when applicable.

Well one of the years prior remember doing 100putts a day... that worked out.

This year I think the goal is to try and drop a few pounds so my knees hold out longer, get more years of disc.

Also to try and make a short 9 at my place with no hills, or at least incorporate them in a more gradual way. Reimagine it for nightly rounds so it's a little more hospitable. There's holes I don't want to play so time for an "old farts 9" at home.

Well one of the years prior remember doing 100putts a day... that worked out.

This year I think the goal is to try and drop a few pounds so my knees hold out longer, get more years of disc.

Also to try and make a short 9 at my place with no hills, or at least incorporate them in a more gradual way. Reimagine it for nightly rounds so it's a little more hospitable. There's holes I don't want to play so time for an "old farts 9" at home.

I have a 9 we play at Hawk Hollow that bypasses the majority of the big climbs for this very reason.

Continue mentoring my son, who gained 104 ratings points in 5 months last summer, and is now beating lots of grown men at the age of 12, including yours truly.

Keep my rating above 900, which never has been below that going back to 1998. I will officially not care about it at all in 2023 when I turn 50 and join Am Grandmasters. This is the last year of sort-of caring!

I am a little ahead of you on the downside of the curve (lowest rating since '98 for me currently at 921) and believe me you will still care!! :)

I have a 9 we play at Hawk Hollow that bypasses the majority of the big climbs for this very reason.

At Stoney Hill, we have a few alternate layouts to avoid throwing over or near the pond. Sometimes, you just don't want to lose discs.

Closer to this thread's theme, in 2022 I hope to resist the temptation to build more holes. Play More, Work Less.

Most of my previous years goals went unrealized, due to just being so much busier than expected last year. And a pandemic didn't help.

So for this year:
Get serious about fixing form. Become active on the form threads here. Want to be able to hit 400'.

Clean up bagging my "local" courses.

Play a few out of state courses. Should be easy, granted I can find the free time.

Introduce more youth to the game.

Above all else: just play and have fun, and more rounds with my son.

-Work with my boys (9 and 7) so they are following the rules more consistently. Sooner or later, they'll want to try a tournament and up to this point I've tried to keep it fun and only stressed safety related rules. Want to slowly ease them into playing by the book.

-Get to 200 courses played. Planning to play the courses that have popped up in SW Michigan over the past couple of years and continue bagging Wisco's best come late spring. There's a chance we'll take a road trip to Tennessee to visit family in '22, so that would be another good opportunity to pick up some new, quality courses. I'll likely pad the stats with a few nasty niners on the far outskirts of the Chicago area. There are a couple of loops that would get me 5-6 new courses, but it's hard to get excited about any of those courses. Only saving grace is that those short courses are fun for my boys and level the playing field a little bit.