• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A-Tier West Virginia Open - Aug. 30-31 (Labor Day Weekend)

t i m

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
For players who haven't read the hype other places, I wanted to post here to let people know about the West Virginia Open, which takes place in what I -- and many other folks -- consider to be the best site in the country to spend a disc golf weekend. And since it's Labor Day, it's a no brainer to get out there and spend your three days in the West Virginia mountains.

Here's the link to sign up and get more info about the tournament.

PawPaw is a privately owned piece of land up in the West Virgina panhandle, home of two full 18-hole courses, each with an SSA of ~64. The Woodshed and Whippin' Post will challenge you like few other courses anywhere in the country.

Unlimited tent-camping is available on-site and this means that 90+ percent of people playing for the weekend stay for the weekend. This close community are a huge part of what make this event the best disc golf weekend I know of. It also doesn't hurt to have live-music playing in the evenings at the barn, big campfires, unpolluted skies, brillant stars, scenic surrounding mountains, barefoot grass, a clean pond for swimming, no alcohol restrictions (except during PDGA rounds, of course), etc...

The hosts, Spencer and Gabi, are the kindest, most generous people you will ever meet and will make your weekend even better. As a side note: in the past, quite a few golfers bring their wives/girlfriends/kids/etc... it's a great place to bring family for the weekend, since they can run around on the barefoot grass, lounge beneath the trees, and the kids can play with the other children on the playground, swim together in the pond, and just enjoy the beauty of the West Virginia mountains. There are always several different camping areas -- some for the quiet, early-to-bed folks, and some for the rowdier types, so there will be an appropriate place for anyone you bring to spend their time during the day. Drop an e-mail and call the TD or course owners if you have questions or concerns on this front.

And here's the link to see which players are already registered. -- 88 registered as of this post. This is pro-only tournament, but anyone can sign up; players signed up for MPO range in rating from 897 to 1020 so far, so no matter what your skill level, you'll have somebody out there to challenge you, and someone you might beat. You also get the chance to play with some of the best players around, and watch a sick, sick, sick final nine with the top four pros battling in out on the most spectator-friendly final-nine I know of. So don't be skeered -- signup NOW!

If you have any questions, let me know. I'll be happy to answer anything I can.

As a disclaimer: I am not involved with this tournament in any official capacity -- I'm just a player who played the West Virginia Open last year and considered it the best weekend tourney I've ever been to and I want everyone else to have the opportunity to come out and share the experience.

Last edited: