• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

After 1 year of play...

Lynn LeFey

Par Member
So, I'm about 2 weeks short of my one year anniversary of play.

In that year (at least to date)...
I threw 8736 shots. This does not count two 36-hole tournaments, and practice throws.
I played 2063 holes.
I lost 11 discs.
I played two local tournaments. With a stated goal of not coming in last, I was completely successful. On the second tournament, I came in 122nd out of 130. :D
I found 12 discs (unmarked/unreturnable). I didn't even keep count of the discs I returned, but something like 8 to 10.
I got one rash (probably poison ivy), bit by a horsefly on the eyebrow, stabbed twice by branches bad enough to cause bleeding. Walked through 8 billion spiderwebs. Swallowed three bugs. Zero twisted ankles, miraculously.
Had to stop playing with primary hand twice for a few days due to elbow pain.
Because of that, my emergency off-hand throw is actually not terrible.

Spent approximately $250 on discs and a bag. I'd say 70% were bought used at Play It Again Sports. The bag (dynamic Discs Soldier Bag with shoulder straps) was also bought used, to replace my Innova Starter Bag.

I've watched my armspeed go from about 2-3 in the beginning to about 6 now. Driving distance forehand and backhand is... eh... honestly 270ish feet. 300' would be a perfect throw.

Comfortable putting range is 15', with pretty high likelihood at 20'. After that... not likely. Longest putt was 60'. Plus one lucky forehand upshot from about 110 feet that went in. Still waiting on my first ace.

My score on my home course (par 55) has gone from an average of 80 in my first 25 games to an average of 67 in my most recent 25 games. Best score is 63.

I'm not sure how many people get THIS into it in their first year, but I did. Kind of got bit hard. Next year, I'm hoping to get in more like 3000+ shots.

So, I'm about 2 weeks short of my one year anniversary of play.

In that year (at least to date)...
I threw 8736 shots. This does not count two 36-hole tournaments, and practice throws.
I played 2063 holes.
I lost 11 discs.
I played two local tournaments. With a stated goal of not coming in last, I was completely successful. On the second tournament, I came in 122nd out of 130. :D
I found 12 discs (unmarked/unreturnable). I didn't even keep count of the discs I returned, but something like 8 to 10.
I got one rash (probably poison ivy), bit by a horsefly on the eyebrow, stabbed twice by branches bad enough to cause bleeding. Walked through 8 billion spiderwebs. Swallowed three bugs. Zero twisted ankles, miraculously.
Had to stop playing with primary hand twice for a few days due to elbow pain.
Because of that, my emergency off-hand throw is actually not terrible.

Spent approximately $250 on discs and a bag. I'd say 70% were bought used at Play It Again Sports. The bag (dynamic Discs Soldier Bag with shoulder straps) was also bought used, to replace my Innova Starter Bag.

I've watched my armspeed go from about 2-3 in the beginning to about 6 now. Driving distance forehand and backhand is... eh... honestly 270ish feet. 300' would be a perfect throw.

Comfortable putting range is 15', with pretty high likelihood at 20'. After that... not likely. Longest putt was 60'. Plus one lucky forehand upshot from about 110 feet that went in. Still waiting on my first ace.

My score on my home course (par 55) has gone from an average of 80 in my first 25 games to an average of 67 in my most recent 25 games. Best score is 63.

I'm not sure how many people get THIS into it in their first year, but I did. Kind of got bit hard. Next year, I'm hoping to get in more like 3000+ shots.

These are really cool stats to have for your 1st year of playing, awesome stuff! I would say that my first year was similar... played almost every day, got into tournaments early, ect. 7th season now underway and I still get excited every time I see the sun and know I can fit in an hour of throwing. I should start tracking some of this stuff.

agreed... I'm not a stats nerd but this is really cool

I went from playing constantly and sun up to sun down weekends to a heck of a lot less... in the middle there, I bought a 20 acre property and built a course... I really like the course but it is by no means an earth shattering course... just a fun little course that is both fun and challenging to me and the kind of disc golf I like.

I bought hundreds of discs... spent thousands of dollars on gear... and now am a minimalist and actually enjoy one disc rounds with a condor above all else... I've seen myself go from obsession to way of life (read leisurely) style of disc golf...

I guess the other thing I did was become a part of this site... I like community and being a part of that... so, there's my disc golf story in just a few words (and an emoji) :thmbup:

I wish I would have kept stats, especially the first few years. Between health and family I don't throw enough to really be worth it anymore.

Nice! Sounds like you had a great year! As someone who has only been playing 2-3 months more than you, I know how much work it is. You get some big gains pretty quickly, then you plateau and think "Is this it, is this as good as I get," then you have another breakthrough and make some more progress. At least that's how it's been for me in my first 15 months. Keep throwing and have fun!

Nice! Sounds like you had a great year! As someone who has only been playing 2-3 months more than you, I know how much work it is. You get some big gains pretty quickly, then you plateau and think "Is this it, is this as good as I get," then you have another breakthrough and make some more progress. At least that's how it's been for me in my first 15 months. Keep throwing and have fun!

That was perfectly said. For the past year or so I've been really trying to change up my game and learn correct form and technique for the first time in my disc golfing career. It's constant ups and downs, plateauing and then a breakthrough. Fun stuff.

Awesome stats OP, glad you're enjoying the sport and are hopefully inspiring others around you, like family and friends, to give it a try.

Amazing job keeping track of all those stats, I'm impressed. But the thing that sticks out the most to me is that you only got two bloody stab wounds! I've had dozens, too many to want to even think about! :eek:

How about ticks you've killed???

Awesome stat keeping, though. I feel like the general consensus and wish I would have done the same! I suppose I didn't get into DG super hard til my third year. It was very casual the first couple but now it's all hands on deck. I should try to keep some stats now.. anyway, Keep at it!

Hubby has an app 'under par' for score tracking that he got the first day we started playing, so all of my scores are electronically recorded. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known.

Also, I have to already update one of the pieces of information.

Best score is now 61 on my home course. It was a good day. :D

I too played obsessively my first year, and have continued since. have fun and keep throwing.

Thanks all.

I thought I'd try to break my numbers down a different way. This is the average of par over 5 games, only using my home course. I play other courses, but pin positions were moved much more frequently.

So, the averages in 5-game groups were:
91, 82, 80.6, 76.8, 74.4, 71.2, 73.6, 69.333, 68.2, 67.4, 64.4.

I THINK the bump from 71.2 to 73.6 was mostly due to weather conditions in October and November. Very cold, very windy, pretty wet. Whereas, December was pretty mild and dry.

At the point where they drop from 69.333 to 68.2, the pin positions were moved, and the numbers reflect a significant jump due to the course being easier.

In all honesty, I should be shooting about 4 strokes higher than the last 3 numbers, in comparison to the earlier numbers.The 68.2, I THINK, when calculated at +4 versus the 69.333 before the pins moved was partly from lingering cold weather, and partly adjusting to the new pin positions on a few holes.

The numbers shown represent about half the games I played. So, these improvements would more honestly be considered to come from about 10 games of play.

Wow, you're like the Payton Manning of disc golf [he's known for being very meticulous]. I don't know of any 1-year dger who's put this much thought into the progression of their game. :thmbup:

I thought I would update this for the 1.5 year mark

I've thrown about another 4000 shots in the last six months. I say 'about' because I only added the rounds on my normal home course to my spreadsheet. And that also doesn't include league rounds I've thrown.

My course average is about 62 now.
My best round so far is 57, still 2 short of Par.
I still don't have an ace yet, although I've hit the goal twice, just missing going in.

I've lost an additional three or so discs, found probably 6.

My driver distance backhand remains steady at about 270', and forehand around 250', but I've had really good throws both fore and backhand that have beat the norms by over 50'.

There are 2 places where I feel like I AM improving. First is the number of forehand shots that go anywhere near where I intend them to go. The reliability of the forehand is improving. The second is reliability of my putting. Within 16' feet or so, I'm something like 80-90% and within 33', there's at least a fighting chance (20% or so?) that I make a putt.

As far as body pains, my elbow pretty much never bothers me any more. Now it's my left shoulder (I'm a lefty) and right hip.

Amazing job keeping track of all those stats, I'm impressed. But the thing that sticks out the most to me is that you only got two bloody stab wounds! I've had dozens, too many to want to even think about! :eek:

Ikr? That sounds like the front9 to me, lol. Must not have any thorns in the area...

Then there is the zero ankle injuries... I wish I could claim that... ugh

I don't count thorns. I mean stabs.

On the most played course, we have thorns on 2, 5, 7, 10, 14, and 16. Pretty likely to get into them on at least 14.

The REAL shock in 'no twisted ankles' is that the course is absolutely LITTERED with sweetgun balls and (particularly this time of year) black walnuts. Like every bit of the course is covered in ball bearings. On hills. (sigh)

Latest posts