• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] American, versus European manufacture of discmania

centervolume

Hello all,

I was recently gifted a discmania disc that had a double stamp showing DDX c-line as well as Simon Lizotte Doom Bird 2 stamp.

Flipping it over I found embossed print reading FD-3 S-Line as well as innova discs location info. I was under the impression that discmania was manufactured overseas.

I'm curious what the differences might be between end of a manufactured discmania S line FD3 and the European manufactured counterpart?

The Innova produced discs uses Innova designed molds and Innova plastics while the European ones have Tomas Ekström designed molds and Discmania plastics

Sorry for the double post, I was too late to edit

Discmania used to be manufactured by Innova, they were basically like Millenium Discs or Infinite Discs. They had their own line of discs, but the production and design was delegated to Innova. At some point 4-5 years ago Innova didn't have the capacity to produce all the discs that Discmania needed, so Discmania started looking for other companies to produce discs for them. It appears that Innova didn't appreciate that and they stopped producing Discmania discs completely.

This forced Discmania to start looking into taking control of production and produce their own discs. They set up a disc factory in Sweden right next door to Latitude 64s factory. Discmania had to redesign their old discs, as they didn't own the actual physical molds. The molds were Innova's property. Current run Discmania "Originals" are therefore not the exact same mold as the Innova produced Originals. The plastic is different as well.

Last edited:
OK, thank you very much for this information, that is exactly what I wanted to know. Does this mean that the disc that I have here is therefore no longer in production as it is a innova - owned mold? (Unless they have repurposed it as an innova disc ?)

OK, thank you very much for this information, that is exactly what I wanted to know. Does this mean that the disc that I have here is therefore no longer in production as it is a innova - owned mold? (Unless they have repurposed it as an innova disc ?)

Correct. Innova has re- released some of their old Discmania molds with other names. The new Discmania are different molds. At this point Discmania hasn't re-released the DDx. However, their Enigma is a remarkable flyer with the same 'numbers'.

Correct. Innova has re- released some of their old Discmania molds with other names. The new Discmania are different molds. At this point Discmania hasn't re-released the DDx. However, their Enigma is a remarkable flyer with the same 'numbers'.

The Enigma is a million times better than the DDX. Another good understable new Discmania driver is the Paradigm.

I like Discmania's new Swedish discs. They're every bit as good as the Innova manufactured ones were.

New Swedish DD3s and Cloudbreakers are very much worth a look if you like Discmania.

Let's not forget China. The Active line is all made there, by Yikun I believe: some solid molds.

Covid related Supply chain issues in regards to meeting demand of discs and Innovas capacity to make them essentially forced the contractural relationship from Discmania to end. I bought up a lot their g-line plastic to stock up when I read they had that issue. Cos a g-line FD is a thing of beauty.

... as well as Simon Lizotte Doom Bird 2 stamp.

There is only one DOOMBIRD, it's visible in my avatar. It's sacrilege to demean it by creating a "2" version. The DOOMBIRD will never need improvement. This is a huge mistake.

I will address this with Simon.

You know. When, uh. Well. Ok. Soon, hopefully. If our schedules line up.