• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Any tips for keeping all my fingers gripped on the disc?

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
This has been messing with me a lot since I started back up.

I'm currently throwing my Mayhems around 450-480' on golf lines and a little past 500' on controlled S curves in the field, so my distance is pretty solid....

But, I can't help but feel I'm leaving another 25' on the table with my grip alone.

I start my backhand x-step using a standard four finger power grip.

But as I'm reaching back and then pulling through the hit, my pinky and ring finger always come off the rim before I release.

You can see it clear as day here:

I used to not notice but then I caught it while editing some of my videos.

These days I'm really conscious of it, and it messes with me a bit sometimes. I find myself wanting to throw every approach I can forehand because I'm always thinking about my grip on BH approaches. For some reason I don't focus on it as much mentally with drives.

I also think it's one of the reasons I can only throw a limited amount of max D field throws before my middle finger starts hurting, and why I sometimes rip the skin clean off my middle finger when throwing distance shots.

I have some other things I'm thinking I could tweak on my backhand to get my field distance up to the 550-600' range, but I feel like I need to fix my grip before I work on altering the timing of my reach back and changing when I load my hips.

Albert Tamm throws with a two finger grip. He releases his pinky and ring finger, just like you, but at max "reach back" before he pull forward towards the hit. So maybe you don't need to change it? Grip is a slippery slope of never being satisfied. Never hurts to try different things though, but don't get too caught up in it.
If it hurts your finger I think that would be a good cause to look over how you grip it though.

Grip is definitely an interesting topic at hand. I think I've probed around with most of them and learned something from them.

On the one hand, your grip means the world, your grip is what connects you to the disc and gives you control and leverage to impart force to it. Your grip can change or inhibit your swing/release, or require a different way to swing. Your swing can also inhibit your grip by accelerating out of sequence too early or wrong direction.

On the other hand, your hand(and body) is unique, and there have been a lot of different grips that have won distance titles. I think most players pivot the disc off the index finger, while some do the middle finger (i.e. McBeth - who also been dealing with ripped up middle finger). I pivot off the index and don't feel or see much difference between 2-4 finger power grips or fan grip. Only time I have issues with blood blisters on index finger is with speed 12+ discs in stickier plastics where I feel it pinching/hooking on my finger instead of pivoting/popping off smooth. On the other hand Stokely talks about pain with snap and the blood rushing out the finger tips(I only notice that when its below 50 degrees and I'm not warmed up yet).

Now as for shorter approach shots I tend to use Schusterick's fan grip and pivot the disc off the pinky finger/palm while the other fingers are looser. I guess this is what some are referring to as back loaded(approach) vs front loaded(driving) grip.

Might help to reread some of the classics on grip:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3440757&postcount=4

After breaking my 4th metacarpal I occasionally have issues with my pinky and ring finger not letting go...

I don't have a ton to offer, but I do know small changes in grip can have big effects on a lot of things, accuracy being a big one. I assume since we are talking specifically for adding distance you have all 4 finger pads on the inside of the rim? For your finger pain issue a modified power grip may help make use of all of your fingers and the slightly more stacked nature of the grip would likely make it almost impossible to pull the two off as well as relieve fatigue on a single finger.

Pretty unique to have that happen in your swing I'd force the issue and try all the grips. All grip styles cause some minor injury at 500+ power finding the one that works for you is going to take some fiddling.

I had the same issue - we throw about as far (I use emperors but same difference) and I have tiny hands.

My solution was to grip it like a fastball grip, but with four fingers and inverted. I'll get a picture up if I can figure out how to post pictures in here. I have the disc in the knuckle between my index and middle but it isn't touching the palm of my hand really at all. Comes out super clean with distance drivers and putters/comets, and I get more distance with it than I ever have. Also helps that it feels more like a throw bc I can really get stacked behind the disc vs feeling like my shoulder is too open when accelerating.

I had the same issue - we throw about as far (I use emperors but same difference) and I have tiny hands.

My solution was to grip it like a fastball grip, but with four fingers and inverted. I'll get a picture up if I can figure out how to post pictures in here. I have the disc in the knuckle between my index and middle but it isn't touching the palm of my hand really at all. Comes out super clean with distance drivers and putters/comets, and I get more distance with it than I ever have. Also helps that it feels more like a throw bc I can really get stacked behind the disc vs feeling like my shoulder is too open when accelerating.

When you start your post, somewhere below the post window you should either see a button for Go Advanced, or a list of Additional Options. You will have one or the other. Go Advanced button brings up the Additional Options. There you will see Attach Files and that is what lets you attach photos. There is a limit on photos (3) and a limit on what size they can be (I don't recall off hand what the max size is). Once you click on Manage Attachments, you'll see buttons marked Browse. Those let you find the file. Then remember to click on the Upload button once your file has been selected and is in the list.

This has been messing with me a lot since I started back up.

I'm currently throwing my Mayhems around 450-480' on golf lines and a little past 500' on controlled S curves in the field, so my distance is pretty solid....

But, I can't help but feel I'm leaving another 25' on the table with my grip alone.

I start my backhand x-step using a standard four finger power grip.

But as I'm reaching back and then pulling through the hit, my pinky and ring finger always come off the rim before I release.

You can see it clear as day here:

I used to not notice but then I caught it while editing some of my videos.

These days I'm really conscious of it, and it messes with me a bit sometimes. I find myself wanting to throw every approach I can forehand because I'm always thinking about my grip on BH approaches. For some reason I don't focus on it as much mentally with drives.

I also think it's one of the reasons I can only throw a limited amount of max D field throws before my middle finger starts hurting, and why I sometimes rip the skin clean off my middle finger when throwing distance shots.

I have some other things I'm thinking I could tweak on my backhand to get my field distance up to the 550-600' range, but I feel like I need to fix my grip before I work on altering the timing of my reach back and changing when I load my hips.

I have a friend who had trouble keeping all his fingers on the underside, much like you are experiencing. He found that switching from, starting to take the grip with the index finger and working backwards to starting to take the grip with his pinky and working forwards, helped solve that issue.

Latest posts