• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone else LHBH?

jedwards

Eagle Member
I am struggling recently to find a good distance driver. Some background -- I really only throw LHBH and used to be one of those single disc players. I generally use a totally beat Discraft Eclispe that I have been throwing for over 10 years. I have since added a few discs (and a bag - even through I swore I would never carry one) and have not had any luck finding a good straight driver. I picked up a Teerex, which turned immediately so I had to assume that my arm wasn't big enough to handle an overstable driver. So -- I picked up a Star Sidewinder and am having similar issues. Should I just get a new Eclipse and call it a day or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Tim -- if you see this, have you thought about adding a section to either the profile or the Disc Organizer where members could state their predominant throwing style(s) (RHBH, LHBH, etc.) so we can see what other discs people are throwing with styles similar to our own? Just a thought.

I am struggling recently to find a good distance driver. Some background -- I really only throw LHBH and used to be one of those single disc players. I generally use a totally beat Discraft Eclispe that I have been throwing for over 10 years. I have since added a few discs (and a bag - even through I swore I would never carry one) and have not had any luck finding a good straight driver. I picked up a Teerex, which turned immediately so I had to assume that my arm wasn't big enough to handle an overstable driver. So -- I picked up a Star Sidewinder and am having similar issues. Should I just get a new Eclipse and call it a day or does anyone have any other suggestions?

The sidewinder should go straight or even turn left a little for LHBH. If your sidewinder is fading the same as a teerex it could be:

1. Your sidewinder is too heavy for you and/or it just needs to be broke in a little more before it starts going straight.

2. You're not putting enough spin on it. Use a tight grip and let the disc rip out of your hand. Don't release the disc like you would a backyard frisbee.

3. It is a warped/mis-made disc and a different sidewinder would go straight for you.

Other straight discs I would reccomend are: Disccraft XL, Champion Beast, Champion Monarch, Quest T-Bone in premium plastic.

I'm LHBH for medium distance shots and in and LHFH for longer drives. This summer i was really working on my BH - and i made pretty decent BH progress. I would say definitely try getting more spin like mentioned above. I had some success when i focused on getting the nose down as well . Sometimes throwing with a very slight anhyzer so that the discs begin to turn over. But i think getting the right technique down before trying something that forces an S curve would be better in the long run

I'd suggest a Stratus for a disc in the neigborhood of an Eclipse - i have an elite X one - and love the feel

it seems like the leap from Eclipse to a Beast or Sidewinder would be a drastic increase of speed from what you're used to - u might be better off trying something slower than the Beast or Sidewinder but still understable like a Leopard or maybe a Discraft Xpress
once you get those down and you want to stick with the understable types maybe a TL
and then maybe the aforementioned Beast

i have all sorts of faster drivers / beast/orc/flash/roadrunner/monarch/surge/inferno but i can still get the same distance with a Tbird - meaning i dont have enough BH speed etc to really take full advantage of the faster discs. So i need to work on technique

When you say "turned" do you mean faded as in it faded to the right or it turned against the typical flight path and went left?

This is very important to the recommendation..

When you say "turned" do you mean faded as in it faded to the right or it turned against the typical flight path and went left?

This is very important to the recommendation..

Sorry -- I mean that it faded right hard. If I throw it slightly anny it will fly straight for about 200 feet and then fade hard right. If I throw it straight and hard it will fade right after only about 75 feet and continue right.

Ok, that makes sense. I am LHBA and I have a sidewinder in my bag. This disk is anything but straight. Even if thrown hard it turns left then fades to the right. With max power it may even turn turn over, but it does not should like that is your issue. The Monarch will be just as difficult because it is a even faster Sidewinder.

If you want straight, I highly recommend buying a Star TL at about 165 to 169 Grams. practice keeping it low. If thrown correctly, it will turn slightly to the left then fade very little to the right if kept low. It is not as straight as aTeebrid if thrown perfect but I bet it will be straighter (and longer) for your typical Tbird throw based on what you are saying. Even if you are not getting max distance it will be straight with little fade and should have a place in your bag.

If you want pure distance, You might want to try the Odyssey Ultra Long range driver. It has a very good glide and slightly less fade than the Sidewinder. I will warn you that it may still have some unwanted fade if thrown high.

If you think that you are having trouble with keeping drivers stright you may want to try some DX fairway drivers Like a Leopard or Cheetah or a slower driver like a Dragon or an Arch Angel.

If you think that you are having trouble with keeping drivers stright you may want to try some DX fairway drivers Like a Leopard or Cheetah or a slower driver like a Dragon or an Arch Angel.
I'll recommend the Cheetah. The Eclipise, especally a 10 year old beat one, will be really flippy compared to the new discs you'll find today. Getting an easy to throw fairway driver and a neutral midrange (like a Roc, Buzzz, Element-X, ect) and learning to throw them will help you ease into the faster stuff.

I have a sidewinder in my bag. This disk is anything but straight.

The sidewinder may be the straightest distance driver on earth if thrown correctly. The only way it won't go straight is if you throw it too fast and turn it over or if you have something wrong with your form and/or throw nose up which will increase the amount of fade. If it is a new disc it will tend to be more stable until it's broke in properly. The sidewinder is also one of the more beginner friendly distance drivers because it is so understable you don't need alot of power to throw it straight.

The TL is a fairway driver. He specifically asked for reccomendations for a straight distance driver.

I would try a Avenger SS. My brother is a LHBH thrower and he loves his Discraft Stratus

The sidewinder may be the straightest distance driver on earth if thrown correctly.

It would seem that Innova disagrees.

speed-9.gif

If thrown correctly the Sidewinder will look like this, not straight.

jedwards,
Based on what you are saying it really seems that some of the recommended fairway drivers would be the best bet for controlled distance. I used to throw a sidewinder through long tunnel shots until I found out that if thrown correctly it will turn left just as far as the right fade in most cases. A very long curve. I guess this is why it is called the Sidewinder. If thrown at 75% it might go straight for about 150 to 200 feet then then fade to the right. Like what you are experiencing. Based on what you are saying, a distance driver might be too fast to be straight until you mess around with a fairway driver. Do not forget when you got your Eclipse you would not have all these outrageously fast drivers to choose from. :)

http://www.innovadiscs.com/discs/sidewinder.html

OK -- Thanks guys. I think I have learned a few things. I have been working on my technique more than anything so hopefully that along with your advice and disc suggestions will work.

I would also look into a valkyrie, once beat up some it will fly straight. Eventually though it will become your anhyzer shot.

try a wraith. with good amount of wrist snap and not much arm speed that disc will fly

IDISC, what weight is your wraith? I am having trouble figuring out what is the best, as well as what plastic. I have two champion and two star.

I'm LHBH, but only ever assumed that it made my discs fly exactly backwards of a RHBH ;)

For what it's worth, I throw a Leopard for turnover drives, a TL for straight shots, and usually just bomb a Shark slightly hyzer for rights. I'm not a huge distance thrower, but most holes on my two nearest courses are par 4, so I've sort of adapted into a routine of "safe and accurate drive down the fairway, good approach throw, sink the putt for birdie." Doesn't always work like that, but it's the theory.

I'm LHBH, but only ever assumed that it made my discs fly exactly backwards of a RHBH ;)

For what it's worth, I throw a Leopard for turnover drives, a TL for straight shots, and usually just bomb a Shark slightly hyzer for rights. I'm not a huge distance thrower, but most holes on my two nearest courses are par 4, so I've sort of adapted into a routine of "safe and accurate drive down the fairway, good approach throw, sink the putt for birdie." Doesn't always work like that, but it's the theory.

As a LHBH thrower I will agree that it does not seem to matter what hand you are throwing with in that it a LHBH throw should do the opposite as a RHBH throw.

I throw LHBH as well, and I agree with the mirror-image argument. Physically, the discs are doing the same thing, but spinning the opposite direction, therefore causing the exact opposite of what you would expect if you were throwing right-handed.

For what it's worth, I'm a big believer in mid-range discs for driving (probably because I'm not very good, and these are easier to control). I typically can drive a Shark or Skeeter about 300', and this accomplishes what I need on most courses. For longer drives, I use a TeeBird. Hope this helps.