• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Asked to Lead DG Club

GK74

Here's the Short of the situation that has been presented to me recently.
A friend and local DG'er who was inspirational in getting our city current and only course operational has decided to step down from a leadership role after 10yrs of being the guy.
He called last night and asked if I would be interested in filling his shoes. This would mean oraganize tournaments, work with city officials, be a spokes for our group, ammbasador of the sport and organize clean up and building of course.

I have only had experience organizing such disc golf events in a smaller community. Namely no one else was willing to do it so I stepped up and organized ran a couple of the small tournaments around big events in the town that had been done in the past. Now its a bigger scene where I live now and see the course is used by a wide variety of players, attracting crowds for the spring and summer.

I am asking to others who are organizing the local DG clubs for feedback support and pointers, suggestions. I really love DG and want to see this beautiful course stay here in Juneau Alaska, it takes a lot of work to keep it clean and trails built after yearly snow and rainfalls shift the grounds. Moving here a few short years ago I meet and established many good friends from the group that plays here now,. Many already dedicated time and sweat to keep things going. I wonder if my apparent nomination to be the DG Guy is going to be meet with hesitation or fanfare. Either way I do not want to see the course fall into disrepair.

Advice, pointer, and guidance sought.

The city wants us to make it work. I can get the former to shadow me but short of this experience running the club before how hard can it be.

If you already had certification as a cat-herder, it would help. :D

As I've been helping two friends trim their bootleg course into fairway beauty, I can't even imagine the effort to keep up a course where snow and rain are adept at altering the landscape [I play at Pier a lot and know that several holes get closed in winter to head off erosion issues].
As far as the tourneys go, sponsor and city support[prizes and cash] go a long way towards making a person feel appreciated for his work.
Its also possible you can get a grant from some arm of the govt. for providing park improvements and a financially viable recreational opportunity for tourism.

Latest posts