• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Atlas Pioneer Review

strunk flugget

Birdie Member
Hey everyone -- I figured with holidays coming up I would write a quick review on my Atlas Pioneer that i just got. Admittedly I don't have a whole lot to compare to, my previous bags being a Nutsac and DD Cadet...so the bar is low here.

I've always wanted a Grip bag and have also envied the Octothorpes, Squatch's etc. But for my price range, the Pioneer was just right. I think what I liked most is that it has most of the basic features of the nicer bags but at a much better price point. It feels pretty well put together, the material quality is nice and feels durable. It is comfortable enough to wear and it does have side support to keep the bag upright and not folding in on itself. It has a putter pocket which can fit three putters but I have two there. It has the flap that folds into the bag where another disc can go, and has a large storage capacity in the main compartment.

Currently the main compartment I have two speed 11 drivers, five speed 8/9 drivers, three speed 7 drivers, four speed 5 midranges, two speed 4 approach discs, and three speed 3 driving putters. That is a total of 19 discs. The way the bag was shipped the psuedo support was folded in a bit so I am sure I could squeeze another one in as the bag stretches out.

Some additional likes before I get to the drawbacks (inherent when buying a 90 dollar bag)...The pockets on the outside are additional to the structure of the main compartment. By that I mean adding stuff to these pockets will not push inwards on the discs or the other way around unless you are stuffing it to the gills. The zippers function really nicely and the straps/back of the bag feel pretty comfortable. Last the bag comes with plastic rails on the bottom of the bag to keep the fabric off the ground and help prevent roll-over.

Cost saving drawbacks:

Of course getting a bag of this size/style into this price range means sacrifices have to be made. This doesn't have bells and whistles like an umbrealla/stool holder. The water bottle holders feel like they could be better but they are good enough. I'm not sure I could get a 32oz nalgene but am confident a 24oz water bottle will fit. The flap that closes the main compartment does not velcro back or get secured in anyway to the interior of the main compartment. The discs themselves hold this in place. I would say this is not a big deal to me, but it is what it is. Lastly there are two pen/pencil slots in the pocket on the main bag flap where an additional disc can be stored. It's going to have to be one or the other. When I put a pen/pencil in those pockets, the fit for an additional disc gets really tight.

Overall...for the price, it really is a great bag. As I said, I've always wanted one of the premier bags but I am often guilty of wanting more than I need. This bag covers my needs and even more. I'd highly recommend this to bag to anyone who has a tight budget or wants a more economical option. It feels well made and seems like it last for quite a while. Feel free to ask any questions, I will try to answer them to the best of my abilities.

Attachments

• 0DDD9356-0525-4D99-B300-E278846FB777.jpg
    0DDD9356-0525-4D99-B300-E278846FB777.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Latest posts