• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad Putter Finger

RebelZero

Par Member
I've been putting with beaded discs for a decade. Moved from the KC Pro Aviar to the Wizard and finally settled on the Judge several years ago.

The Judge felt better than the other two and I finally realized I like shallower, flatter putters. I fan my middle, ring, and pinky fingers under the flight plate and my thumb out on top. My index finger naturally falls on the rim, perched comfortably on the little ledge where the bead pops out.

Over the years I've gravitated more towards shallower, flatter discs in general. The Insanity, Rival, Reactor, Hex, Pure, and Zone are the backbone of my bag. None of them are very deep or domey, and none really have a bead.

I'm very comfortable with this arrangement and I'd like to explore some beadless putters as well for the sake of general consistency. Also, the Judge feels a tiny bit weird now because it's the only disc I use with a bead.

I've recently tried the Pure, Bullet, and Roach. I like how all of them putt, especially the Bullet, but I can't figure out what to do with my damn index finger. With no bead to perch on, it feels unstable, like it's gonna slip right off. Messes with my whole grip.

I've tried some small changes like hooking the first knuckle of my index finger under the edge of the rim, or just letting it hang half-on and half off. I've tried pressing the tip a little harder into the outer rim. I've even tried tucking the index and pinky fingers against the inside of the rim and fanning the middle and ring fingers. THAT felt awful.

So I'm wondering if anyone who uses a similar grip with a beadless putter has some pointers. I watched a short video where Paige Pierce describes her putting grip, which is the same as mine. She uses a beadless putter and seems totally comfy with her index finger out there. Paul McBeth uses a very similar grip with the beadless Luna. His putting seems OK.

Is it solely a matter of getting used to it or is there something I'm missing?

I putted with P2's for years. My index finger just rests comfortably along the lower edge of the rim if that makes sense. Basically probably the same place you put your finger on the bead except there is no bead.

Beads really don't bother me one way or the other. Of course I don't really forehand much or maybe they would. Whether I'm putting or throwing my grip is essentially the same whether the disc has a bead or not.

Honestly this is a good observation. I currently putt with Retro Pures (so no bead) with the index fingerpad on the outside, but still sort of under the lip obviously. It's slightly bent so that the whole finger isn't on the rim, like McBeth. I've tried every possible configuration, but I just can't get the same consistency unless my fingerpad is on the rim like that. It's like I have more control over the release when my fingertips are holding the disc, and it sort of makes sense as you tend to do precise things with your fingerpads. You wouldn't thread a needle by holding it on your knuckle etc. There is probably a more accurate feedback system between fingertips and brain.

So anyway, my only problem is that sometimes I get this slight anxiety that the grip isn't secure enough, or sort of not exactly where I want it. Especially with the pure that is pretty thin, so there's not a lot of rim to hold onto. And I actually really like the feel of pressing the index against a bead for putting, but the only beaded putter I have right now is a KCPro Aviar which is the opposite of a pure and slicker than a waxed car.

So I'm actually gonna do the opposite and try out some beaded putters, preferably somewhat similar to the pure shapewise. Maybe even the Judge as it seems to be a bit flatter of a disc? I don't think there's really any reason for you to switch, unless you see improvements in release consistency from switching, at the most within a couple of weeks.

Putting is 90 per cent mental. The other half is physical. Putting is about the feel of the disc in your hand. There is no magic putter, they all work the same. You have to find one that feels good in the hand and practice, practice, practice.

I have a similar grip and experience as you. I have been putting with S Magics for 5 years now and can't imagine changing. They are beadless, with a rim/wing that is a little more squared. My index finger fits perfectly onto the flat part created by the slightly more extreme edges on the wing.
They are more understable than a lot of putters, but I find them pretty reliable, even in wind. But I also find the stiffest ones I can (thus the S plastic)
They are cheap, and sometimes easy to find.

I don't even remember Badmotorfinger that well but I remember it was kinda cool at least and way better than the black hole sun album that followed. speaking as a western washingtonian at the time fwiw