• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Best beaded disc for spinputts?

Malawi

Par Member
I finally thought i found a putter to stick with after some weeks of decent putting, tho today my Mvp Atom failed me big time.

Played a course with a alot of drops around the basket so when i missed, my atom started to roll away and it did never stop until it was all the way down from the hill and totally messed up my score while my mates used other discs to putt with a bead that didnt rolled away like that even when they started to roll they stopped pretty fast.

What is the best slim putter that has a bead around for spinn putting?

I do have a Judge that is okayish but i dont love it, still feels a bit deep.
Also a Mercy that is similar to the atom but its not beaded.

I like a stable putter for spin putts. Low profile beaded ones molded by Innova: soft Rhyno, D-Line P3X

MJ, arguably the best spin putter of all time, uses a Ringer GT. Hard to argue with his results.

...while my mates used other discs to putt with a bead that didnt rolled away like that even when they started to roll they stopped pretty fast.

Why not try out your buddy's putter? I'm sure they'd let you try their putters for a few throws.

Perhaps it's how you're putting? Most spin putters putt with some pace, which may cause your disc to roll away further once it's on the ground. Do your buddies putt softer than you? Perhaps consider putting with more loft/touch in situations when your disc might roll away. You could also consider just making your putts :)

The only putter that's gonna fix that is a gumputt

Yes, I was going to post something like this. I have a super soft blend Warden for putts like this. It just flops like a pancake when it lands. It's perhaps rolled on me twice in the past year since I bagged it.

If you want a shallow, beaded putter for spin putts - RPM Tui in magma plastic. Look up NZ's top player, Jackson Sullivan, on YouTube. He uses them.

I putt with a Judge and love it but for upshots or death putts, I go with my Blowfly. I throw it for overhands a lot, too. Lands on it's face and slide a foot or two and stops. It's a great disc. I've been throwing one for 3 or 4 years now and can't imagine not bagging it.

If you're into shallow putters, try a K3 Reko. It's got a microbead, so perhaps not the bead you're looking for... But man, once you throw one you'll never go back.

Great tips! Never thought about that a gummy putt helps stop the rolling. I do have a gummy Harp that i use for fh upshots, need to go out and try putt with it! Ringer seems nice, to bad its sold out everywhere..

So what i understood is that you rather want stable discs for spinn putts but not to overstable?

Great tips! Never thought about that a gummy putt helps stop the rolling. I do have a gummy Harp that i use for fh upshots, need to go out and try putt with it! Ringer seems nice, to bad its sold out everywhere..

So what i understood is that you rather want stable discs for spinn putts but not to overstable?

R-pro Rhyno is an awesome lay-down putter. I thinks its more the rim design that helps it lay down than the gummyness. I recently paid dearly for not including it in my bag as I watched my putter roll away and roll away and roll away :wall: I also have a DX Rhyno. Meh so far.

I second the advice of a Reko K3 ( my putting putter), but I also carry a soft P1 for when I'm afraid of too much ground action.

That said, I wonder if the softer putter is just a crutch for me, and doesn't REALLY make that much difference. Ground action has much more to do with the angle the putter lands than the material it's made of. Watch the pros: they throw approach shots so the putter will be at angles that match the ground - so they tend to sit, instead of catching the rim and skipping or rolling.

This applies to inside the circle putts too - is your putter hitting the chains flat, or at a steep hyzer angle? When you miss, what's the angle of the putter when it hits the ground? Angle doesn't matter when you make the putt - but it can have a big effect on what happens when you miss.

I dont think you should pick a putter solely to avoid rollaways. You should pick the one that you make putts with the most often. I.e. one that feels right in your hand and the flight characteristics of which suit your putting style.

The Link is a very comfortable feeling, not deep, medium beaded putter. I dont think it has magical anti rollaway capabilities though. :) It does come in soft and extra soft if you prefer.

I do have a gummy Harp that i use for fh upshots, need to go out and try putt with it!

Any benefit gained by the gumminess of your Harp will be counteracted by its overstability. Roll aways happen because your putter is landing on edge, and overstable putters (all other things equal) are going to land on edge more often than neutral putters. Also, I'm not sure why you're assuming that a beaded putter will rollaway less than a beadless putter. I have putted with a bunch of different putters and never found that to be a correlation at all. Factors that do impact roll aways:

-stability (OS discs are more likely to land on edge and thus begin rolling)
-plastic (squishy-rimmed discs seem to want to sit down a little better than firm discs)
-depth and general rim shape (wider, wheel shaped putters like a Dagger and Wizard are no more likely to begin rolling, but once they start they do seem to roll further)

All that being said, the thing that impacts rollaways more than anything else is not an attribute of the putter in your hand, but rather an attribute of the putter in your head. Learn how to putt using varying degrees of hyzer/anhyzer, both nose up and nose down. That way when you do have a putt on a tricky green, you can match your putter angle to the ground to minimize rollaways.