• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Central Assembly of God DGC

Jimb

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I've talked about Central on here before but wanted a dedicated thread. So... I was able to get this course installed in December of 2019. My expectations were reasonable or even low. I met a few new players on the course in 2020 which was cool. But 2021 really saw the course getting a lot more play with a Spring/Summer Thursday night league and a Fall/Winter Sunday league. All 30 tags were sold last year with additional players not getting tags.

It's so nice seeing more people playing the course. This year the Thursday night league has been averaging 12 players with a record high of 16 last week. It makes me feel awesome to know that the work that has been put into the course is paying off.

Here's the latest review from UDisc. I include this because it was better than the typical UDisc review. But, more importantly to me, it made my day. And I quote...

teafeathers
Apr 16
Small course on a sloping grass-covered hillside
above the church. Nicely designed and great views.
One forested hole and interesting elevation
differences keep it from being simple. Worth a round
if passing through for sure. Every town in Appalachia
needs a course like this.

If anyone knows teafeathers, please send them my way. I'd like to thank them but there doesn't seem to be a way to have a conversation on "the other" site.

Thanks for reading!

picture.php

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=11094

Pastor Doug showing off his handiwork.
picture.php

And making the ceremonial first putt on the newly installed baskets.
picture.php

He is a wonderful proponent of the course and personally did a lot of the work installing baskets over the last two days.

One of the 12 new baskets installed this weekend. The guys just finished them today. They're the Black Hole Gravity baskets from MVP.

picture.php

Today's crew walking out of the woods after finishing the last basket today.

picture.php

For those of you familiar with the course, you might say "12 baskets? It's a 9 hole course." Well, you'll just have to wait for the answer. :)

Sneak Peek at Hole X3, the 3rd of the new, wooded, holes at Central.

The white tee. It's a severe dogleg left at the top of the hill, just past the standing stump in the fairway just above center in the pic. Red tee is downhill to the left, out of sight and takes a totally different hyzer route to get to the landing zone.
picture.php

Looking back to the tees from the landing zone at the top of the hill. White tee is left of center, just above the same standing stump in the pic. Red tee is obvious to the right of center. Red tee timbers are just lying on ground now so they pop in the pic. This pic shows the elevation change much better.
picture.php

No new pics yet, but the three new holes are now in place and playable. Beej, cccp00a, and I will be adding gravel to finish the last couple tees and doing some more finish work tomorrow afternoon. (OK, it will be a while before they're "finished" but they are totally playable as is and should be even better tomorrow.)

It's Official!

It's official! Central now has 12 holes. :D

picture.php

These guys put in the work today trimming fairways, and finishing the newest tees. Thanks to Beej and CCCP03. :hfive:

picture.php

And also thanks to Karen, not "a Karen", from church who provided basket numbers and installed them! The bold, black, font really pops nicely against the yellow bands.

picture.php

Some More of the "Finished" Product

White X1 tee. The fairway for Red X1 is the clear area to the right of the picture.

picture.php

Tee for Red X3. This hole makes a hard dogleg left near the crest of the hill. If you look closely you can see the yellow directional marker on a tree close to the top left side of the fairway. The bridge across the wet weather run was made from a tree that had fallen across the fairway. The guys had some fun getting it down to the proper position as much as it weighed. It also makes a great bench when the run is dry.

picture.php

And this is that fairway marker that can be seen from both tees for X3.

picture.php

Are these new tees sponsored by Prodigy? 😉

Seriously though, that course looks like a lot of fun. It's wishlisted if I ever get over that way again. Nice work 👍