• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG -health and recuperation from injuries and prevention

JR

* Ace Member *
Take everything I write with a grain of salt and consult professionals because I'm not one. I don't remember everything I heard and may have gotten some ideas wrong. I hope that people would avoid health troubles and I'd like to see your experiences with health issues related to disc golf and the prevention and curing methods.

I visited a physiatrist today regarding my back and tendonitis. There was a thread about tendonitis recently here on general discussion board. I thought I'd make this a new topic so that the issues aren't buried in the end of a thread that might not get read as much as a new topic.

On this forum and especially PDGA forums I've seen a lot of people complain about back troubles, knees and tendon troubles in the arms. They seem to be the nature of this sport at least for people with less than stellar technique which every beginner is. I suspect that many experienced players aren't that hot either when it comes to form.

Thankfully I haven't had knee troubles that wouldn't have gone away by resting a day or two. I can't contribute anything to that. Unfortunately I've had mild back problems in the last year and horrific tendonitis trouble for years on and off.

The physiatrist said that if one were to lie in a bed not using his muscles at all one would loose 20 % of muscle mass each week. There are no sure methods of deciding when to start physical activity. DG is apparently way too stressful for the body at least for people with tendon troubles in the arms. So training with weights or some such thing like gym equipment with guidance from pros is what one ought to do when the sore parts have healed enough for a little exercise.

The bad part is that if inactivity has lasted long and there is muscle atrophy one should start with 5 % of weight training weight and repetition wise if I understood correctly. Then add another 5 % of the original maximum weekly. For back problems one should never stress as much as the previous maximum. Oh boy... You're not gonna see distance records from me.

Another horrible fact is that pains stop way earlier than tissue damages are repaired. For me my back injury requires lessening of working out and a definite denial of 100 % power usage in running starts or hip twists in throws. For at least 4 more moths making the minimum time for tissue repair time 6 months and it can take 12 months during which time I have to do everything ergonomically and with slowly increasing power but never close to maximum power :-(

There are two methods by which pain occurs. A physical malice like a tear in tissue causes pain and the pain comes immediatelly. Nerves can cause pain the night or day after the stress has occurred. Nerve pain can be caused by a chemical imbalance caused by unnatural blockage in the circulation of glucose/lactates caused by tissue damage.

For tendonitis there is also no rule as to when one can safely return to DG after beginning with weight or some other training very mildly and slowly increasing the workload.

I have three back troubles one of which seems to be caused by DG and one which seems to occur for many players. My spine is tilted to he right from little over half of the height of the spine. Apparently this is due to throwing with only right hand. It takes a long time to do gym exercises to get rid of this. Who'd wanna anhyzer from crooked back for every throw? Correcting that with more initial hyzer makes discs fly higher which isn't a good thing always and cuts away some of the distance of the flight.

The solution is to twist the hips on a gym equipment that I don't know the name of. You sit in it and there are handles in front and to the side of you. You grab the handles and twist your hips. The cure is to twist more often to the other side that you throw to more than to the side that you throw to.

A lot of injuries and issues happen because proper stretching isn't done. Some people still don't consider Disc Golf a exercise, and figure, I don't need to stretch, I'm playing disc golf. Those are the people that get hurt. I have noticed a huge difference when I play a quick round and don't stretch first.

Just like with any sport or physical exercise, you NEED to stretch.

well, crap. I guess I'll miss another night of league then and let the tendons heal some more. No pain the last couple days so I though maybe safe to go back, but now I'm thinking I'd rather miss a league night and make the playoffs than play tonight and miss the playoffs because I re-injure the arm.

I've found stretching to be important pre/post playing as well as maintaining as active a lifestyle as you can. Doesn't mean a lot of exercise, but does mean spacing out our more sedentary hobbies (watching tv, playing on computer, etc.).

Fritz said:
A lot of injuries and issues happen because proper stretching isn't done. Some people still don't consider Disc Golf a exercise, and figure, I don't need to stretch, I'm playing disc golf. Those are the people that get hurt. I have noticed a huge difference when I play a quick round and don't stretch first.

Just like with any sport or physical exercise, you NEED to stretch.

I stretch every time before play and I also do plenty of warm ups as well. I've got way too much power for not stretching and warming up. I'd pull a muscles at least immediatelly with the first full power throw. In the summer olympics of 1936 a fervent nazi speer thrower wanted to win for his leader that was in the audience. So he did. It broke a long Finnish streak of victories in major events. The Finnish team thought that anybody can throw farther than that German guy. Once. The same way the German did. By breaking his shoulder so that he never threw again. The doctor I saw today said that a Finnish shot putter from about twenty years ago broke a bone in his shoulder by shooting the ball too hard. So it's easy to break oneself with own muscle power. That's how my tendonitis came about.

BU, it _is_ better to be safe than sorry.

With luck maybe all of the common injuries and how to avoid them could be assebled into an article or FAQ or asembled into one thread and stickied.

I usually get 5-10 minutes of stretching in before I play. I never pulled a muscle playing, but I did have a few days where my shoulder, and left hamstring were sore so I stretch them now.

The problem I have is my sternum. I think I may have damaged the cartilage in my sternum from taking some hard hits and falls when I was younger. Sometimes I can barely pick up a drink or put any laterally strain either arm. One night it hurt so bad I fainted for a few seconds, I got scared and thought it was a heart attack or something. Doctors checked me out and said my condition can be very painful and sometimes cause that, but there isn't much they can do since it's the cartilage. Similar to bad knees, you just cant replace the carilage in there.

Usually it's a couple days of rest and I'm good to go, but sometimes it can last well over a week. Sometimes my chest will pop while stretching, which sounds painful but it actually feels really good.

I'll add that warming up is at least as important as stretching. A couple minutes of jogging before you stretch will make a huge difference.

garublador said:
I'll add that warming up is at least as important as stretching. A couple minutes of jogging before you stretch will make a huge difference.
Indeed, though I would say warming up is more important.

You should always warm up before stretching.

Stretching cold muscles = Bad.