• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf & Business Networking

Tjamesd

Birdie Member
I am wondering if anyone here has approached disc golf as a means to network for business purposes (this is done extensively with ball golf).

I love disc golf, and play on a weekly basis. My boss wants me to join a networking group, but can't stand your typical networking groups (BNI, Grotto, YBP, etc.). I've convinced her to let me try it, which led to my work paying for my PDGA and local league for next year (!!!!!).

Don't worry, I'm not going to be a pushy salesy jerk on the course (Promise!), but I'll look for opportunities to have beneficial/useful conversations.

Has anyone tried this? Success? Failure? Thanks!

I am wondering if anyone here has approached disc golf as a means to network for business purposes (this is done extensively with ball golf).

I love disc golf, and play on a weekly basis. My boss wants me to join a networking group, but can't stand your typical networking groups (BNI, Grotto, YBP, etc.). I've convinced her to let me try it, which led to my work paying for my PDGA and local league for next year (!!!!!).

Don't worry, I'm not going to be a pushy salesy jerk on the course (Promise!), but I'll look for opportunities to have beneficial/useful conversations.

Has anyone tried this? Success? Failure? Thanks!

Not sure how helpful it will be - btw - what industry do you work in?

But...that's a sweet deal. Wish I could talk my boss into that. Although...our company won't let us take a $20 training course....so there's that.

It's not networking per se, but my boss and I play a round together on occasion to decompress and go over a variety of work-related topics in a traditional ball golf sense.

I know a local guy who makes/sells moonshine, and he has made a small fortune from on-the-course networking and marketing. And the dude in Golden Gate Park who sells Jello shots and mushroom caramels does ok too.
So I guess it depends what you do.

i wouldn't be too receptive to business talk while playing. I'm there to play and to enjoy the environment, since I'm usually cooped up in the office at least eight hours a day. work stays at work period

In all seriousness though, I've taken a few clients who I consider friends out to play over the years. Just time to laugh (mostly at them) and drink a couple beers. But I've never tried to market to strangers or other players out on the course.
More often I'd prefer to not even answer the question "So, what do you do for work?" when I'm out playing.

im more likely to see my clients on the course than see any professional peers out on the course

An important first question.

Followed by, exactly what you intend by "networking".

My brothers and I are insurance agents. We've never talked insurance on the course, but we've sponsored holes at tournaments and done other things so that, over time, we know a lot of people, and they know what we do. There's time to chat after the round, waiting for everyone else to finish, or before the start of club meetings, or plenty of other places.

Stereotypes aside, a surprising number of disc golfers around here are professionals and entrepreneurs. Especially the ones active with the club. The result is that, over the years, we've done a good bit of business with them---both ways.

So I'd say, let it be known what you do, and don't push it beyond that. Sponsor holes, tournaments, whatever's available. Join the club, if there is one, and be active in it. Ask people how their day went, and you'll find out what they do. Just make friends, "Network Lite" would be my suggestion.

My wife and I, on separate occasions have used disc golf as a team building exercise at work. Taking the opportunity to build teamwork and introduce others to our game. Found that the local brick and mortar store and even Discraft were happy to help supply plastic for newbs and even a few towels and stickers for some games.
Planning another for spring, since I am in a new office.

I'm in banking, personal, business, estates, trusts, you name it I do it. Mostly I'll just be chatting with people building relationships... if they know what I do, and know that I'm easy to get along with, they'll come to me if they have needs (hopefully).

I'm in banking, personal, business, estates, trusts, you name it I do it. Mostly I'll just be chatting with people building relationships... if they know what I do, and know that I'm easy to get along with, they'll come to me if they have needs (hopefully).

If you want to do this, make it in addition to doing what your boss asked you to do (that you don't want to do). IMO, you're not fully embracing the guidance you were given. Do both.