• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DISCatcher Sport Review

Magiken

Gold level trusted reviewer
Pros
• Easy and quick install
• Portability
• Stable

Cons
• No inner chains
• Pieces can twist with repeated hits requiring further tightening of the screws
• Top mount can tilt very slightly one way or another.

Random Thoughts:
I've had this basket for several weeks now and so far it has performed admirably. It takes only a minute to set up (although I'd toss the included tool in a drawer and use a real screwdriver) and it's light enough that you can move it around fully assembled relatively easily. I've never seen any indication of instability (i.e. falling over) and the only nitpick is that if the top screw isn't super tight, the chain portion may twist if hit hard and also that the basket itself may tilt very slightly. This last bit is actually a design flaw so if Innova's watching: you might want change how the chain portion rests on the pole. Having a bar in the middle allows for this very slight tilt. A double bar or collar would correct this. Again, this is very slight and not a deal breaker. I also liked that unassembled, it has a relatively small footprint. I haven't thrown it in the car yet but I don't foresee it being an issue. As far as the performance, I haven't had any complaints. I've read about blow-throughs being an issue with this basket but I haven't witnessed one yet. I assume it would depend on your putting style and what distance you're firing from. Thus far, I haven't gone past 40 feet or so as that is what I most need work on, and I putt with a relatively flat (parallel to the ground) attack angle. The courses I play on have all manner of baskets and I can't say I've noticed any difference between those baskets on the course and this one. Of course, do keep in mind my relatively short amount of experience with the sport (started in August, 2009). On quality, I am noticing the finish already starting to come off of the inner pole but I don't know if this is an issue yet because I haven't seen rust. I'll try to update this review with a long term review in several months.

Bottom Line:
A very good basket that has absolutely helped my game and our backyard enjoyment.

Innova product website here: here.

Debate starter:
As I was reading about baskets and such, I started noticing some debate about the size of baskets which triggered an impulse in me to understand basket dimensions (located here: http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/PDGATechStandards_121909.pdf). I must admit I was shocked to find such large tolerances for basket dimensions. I was actually surprised to see tolerances at all. I suppose you have to account for different baskets over the years and a lack of funding to just wholesale rip and replace baskets, but even for the "Championship" specs the tolerances are high. Let's take arguably the most important measurement: the Target Zone Height. There is a tolerance of 18.9" to 21.3". That's a huge tolerance (2.4" or 11%). You could easily fit a disc in that space, which means making or missing a shot could come down to the basket itself in a not so obvious way. Anyway, I bring this up because I'm curious what the general thoughts are around having such large tolerances from basket to basket. I think if you ever want to legitimize a sport, certain rules and specs have to be concrete and I would think baskets would be in this category.
FYI: The DISCatcher Sport Target Zone Height is 19" which I like because it's on the low end so it should dial me in better.

Last edited:
I love all of mine and for the extra 20 you can put inner chains on it and your good to go

I love mine. I have had it for about 3 weeks and it is holding up great. I actually brought mine to school and taught DG to my P.E. classes and it is holding up great, even with the child given abuse. I agree that it can tilt slightly and the screws are not the greatest, but it works. I have noticed a few spit throughs and spit outs, but I am not concerned. I know that I can put extra chains on it, but I would rather leave them off and know that the baskets on the course will catch better than this one and if I can make them at home, I can make them at the course.

Thanks for posting!

I was unaware of the variances in basket dimensions. You learn something every day.

Debate starter:
As I was reading about baskets and such, I started noticing some debate about the size of baskets which triggered an impulse in me to understand basket dimensions (located here: http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/PDGATechStandards_121909.pdf). I must admit I was shocked to find such large tolerances for basket dimensions. I was actually surprised to see tolerances at all. I suppose you have to account for different baskets over the years and a lack of funding to just wholesale rip and replace baskets, but even for the "Championship" specs the tolerances are high. Let's take arguably the most important measurement: the Target Zone Height. There is a tolerance of 18.9" to 21.3". That's a huge tolerance (2.4" or 11%). You could easily fit a disc in that space, which means making or missing a shot could come down to the basket itself in a not so obvious way. Anyway, I bring this up because I'm curious what the general thoughts are around having such large tolerances from basket to basket. I think if you ever want to legitimize a sport, certain rules and specs have to be concrete and I would think baskets would be in this category.
FYI: The DISCatcher Sport Target Zone Height is 19" which I like because it's on the low end so it should dial me in better.

Tolerances are usually enforced for manufacturing reasons. You cannot build something repeatedly over and over again and make them perfect every time. So you get dimensioning tolerances. It also helps keep the cost down.

You would probably be surprised to know that each basket leaving innova, discraft, gateway, etc... vary in size. If you ordered 18 baskets and measured each one you would find that not every one is the exact same. I mean they do look a lot alike.

Tolerances are usually enforced for manufacturing reasons. You cannot build something repeatedly over and over again and make them perfect every time. So you get dimensioning tolerances. It also helps keep the cost down.

You would probably be surprised to know that each basket leaving innova, discraft, gateway, etc... vary in size. If you ordered 18 baskets and measured each one you would find that not every one is the exact same. I mean they do look a lot alike.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Dave: I totally understand manufacturing tolerances but this is the only place where the target size is specified, so I'm forced to assume that it's the "rule", and if you look at the rule book for the size of a hockey goal, basketball ring, or (ball) golf hole, it's a precise measurement. No tolerances. So I'm curious if this is to allow for the current level of quality control of the manufacturers (like you state), or the variances in the rules over time, both, or something else. And just generally wondering what the golfing community opinion is on the subject being as it's not a small tolerance.

Have one. Love it. Mine does fine without inner chains but I'm a straddle putter, so I'm not firing the disc in there. And if it does spit out, it's not that big of a deal as I only use mine for practice. Heavy enough to be sturdy, but light enough to move around.

The set screws that hold the pipes in place could start to "walk" and ding the poles after repeated assembly and disassembly. I'm probably going to shim the gaps in between the males and females so that less stress is put on the screws. But it is rather solid.

I hate the variance in baskets, one of our local courses (would be my favorite if not for this) has a variety of older baskets and the target zone is really short on a lot of them and the chain diameter changes from hole to hole. I wish there were something I could do to help get all the baskets replaced but they'd probably just get stolen anyways.

I hate the variance in baskets, one of our local courses (would be my favorite if not for this) has a variety of older baskets and the target zone is really short on a lot of them and the chain diameter changes from hole to hole. I wish there were something I could do to help get all the baskets replaced but they'd probably just get stolen anyways.

One of my local courses has...I think they're called Mach II? The old DGA Mach something baskets...they're old...and they're really small feeling. I have a horrible time putting on them...sometimes.

\/\/

Latest posts