• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driven by Innova?

Means Innova sponsored the event- it is required that you add the "Driven by Innova" to event names for particular levels of sponsorship.

Means Innova sponsored the event- it is required that you add the "Driven by Innova" to event names for particular levels of sponsorship.

It's a weird phrase. Is it supposed to imply that Innova is in control, like a driver of a vehicle, or that Innova is an engine providing all the power that makes the vehicle go?

Slogans—often not needed and often written by committee. Usually the idea backed by the internal hierarchy wins, and it is usually some forced pun that half fits the situation. All you need is one person to say we need one, then as quickly as possible the group latches onto the most obvious choice, then it gets printed on everything. Drive, obv., a word used in disc golf, solved. Ultimately it means you get tired of inconsistent discs and you are driven to a competitor? See, nobody thought it through.

Basically means that the tourney got a CFR deal on custom stamped Innova discs, and also some Innova swag thrown in for am prizes and/or player packs.

Why "driven by" ? Some events will have a host and a presenting sponsor already, but nobody has a "driving" sponsor... until they go to Innova. It's a phrase that still sounds frolfy, but is weird enough that they're not going to step on the toes of another entity involved with the tournament.

It's a weird phrase. Is it supposed to imply that Innova is in control, like a driver of a vehicle, or that Innova is an engine providing all the power that makes the vehicle go?
Innova is supplying a large part of the AM player pack & potentially fundraising discs at a 'discount' closer to the real cost as opposed to what the TD can sell them for. This discount is 'giving' support to the TD for funding tournament expenses if they fill the AM side/sell the fundraiser discs. Probably different amounts of support depending on the event tier (ES/A/B/C-tier).

Very few tournaments are actually run with direct involvement from any of the manufacturers. Certainly the higher tier events may have some manufacturer input but they are mostly run by local TDs & volunteers.

Innova is supplying a large part of the AM player pack & potentially fundraising discs at a 'discount' closer to the real cost as opposed to what the TD can sell them for. This discount is 'giving' support to the TD for funding tournament expenses if they fill the AM side/sell the fundraiser discs. Probably different amounts of support depending on the event tier (ES/A/B/C-tier).

Very few tournaments are actually run with direct involvement from any of the manufacturers. Certainly the higher tier events may have some manufacturer input but they are mostly run by local TDs & volunteers.

I recall a particular Innova sponsored event years back where some said there were no Innova contributions to the players pack, but others said that was normal for Innova sponsored events. Did things change?

I recall a particular Innova sponsored event years back where some said there were no Innova contributions to the players pack, but others said that was normal for Innova sponsored events. Did things change?

I'm not a TD so can't say for sure but maybe some TDs can disclose some more detailed/current info.

Some Innova supported tournaments have CFR/TFR discs listed on their Factory Store/DGU/Disc Golf Values so Innova may have general TFR funds available to support events as needed? Alternatively, those funds may be set aside for supporting tournaments at courses with their baskets to make sure they remain there?

I'm not a TD so can't say for sure but maybe some TDs can disclose some more detailed/current info.

Some Innova supported tournaments have CFR/TFR discs listed on their Factory Store/DGU/Disc Golf Values so Innova may have general TFR funds available to support events as needed? Alternatively, those funds may be set aside for supporting tournaments at courses with their baskets to make sure they remain there?

Deets I had for this major tournament was the TD got to buy prize packs of preselected discs at a discount, and the CFR/TFR:discs can't be used in players packs and must be sold at a certain price point. The prize pack I got was a bunch of 150 class discs (I throw max weight), and all the CFR/TFR discs I've seen have been domey mids suitable only for use as wall hangers and TDs got stuck with them, still trying to sell them years later. Wonder why anyone would go this route if that's still the case.

It isn't that weird. You used a Innova driver to get the furthest up the fairway. Falls right in line with driver, mid-range and putter.

I wonder if they want that phrase used to make people think they are more involved with the tournament than they really are? Like in: We are the driving force behind this tournament.....it wouldn't be happening if it wasn't for us.

So perception-based instead of reality-based.

They are copying from other sports ... for example, seeing the ESPN College GameDay show is no longer "brought to you by The Home Depot," but instead now they say College GameDay is "built by The Home Depot."

Or NASCAR, "equipped by Craftsman" instead of presented by Craftsman. Trying to use a verb that's kinda related to their product since they paid for the sponsorship.

It is just a marketing trend. So I guess Innova is promoting it has the best drivers when they are the title sponsor

They are copying from other sports ... for example, seeing the ESPN College GameDay show is no longer "brought to you by The Home Depot," but instead now they say College GameDay is "built by The Home Depot."

Or NASCAR, "equipped by Craftsman" instead of presented by Craftsman. Trying to use a verb that's kinda related to their product since they paid for the sponsorship.

It is just a marketing trend. So I guess Innova is promoting it has the best drivers when they are the title sponsor

Laid up by Discraft

Holed out by Gateway

Latest posts