• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Elite throwers vs 430' throwers

Most of the technique instructors talk mostly about how to properly get into the pocket (brace, balance, pronation, footwork, nose angle, etc). The reasonable assumption is if you get those things right, the disc will whip out like it should. After a few years, I'm not so sure. Many recommend only standstill throws for a long-ish time, probably to get a feel for that whip/snap/BetoDrill sensation, which was NOT simple for me to feel, even if all the motions are technical. I play with a guy who doesn't really do any form work, but most certainly has a feel for the snap, because that's his whole throw. He can't explain what he does.

I don't think form up to the release is as important as form during the hit. But I'm a sub-900 golfer, so my opinion doesn't really matter.

i read back through all the old technique forum, and the conversation is disproportionally about the snap/hit, compared to recent years.

The stuff before the hit is just to set you up for maximum leverage at the hit.

IMO when it comes to distance, its Anna Karenina principle: All good form is good for the same reasons, all bad form is bad for any number of reasons. Those reasons can range from stuff like technique/mechanics to stuff like athleticism and mobility. You can really throw 400' any number of ways, but I think hitting 500+ means a complete rework of how the throw is done and how you think about it and having all of your "ducks in a row".

There is a shift in details in discussion on the DG form, but I do think it reflects the increase in distance we are seeing in the sport. I know nobody agrees but at the professional level 500 is the new 400 and 600 is the new 500 and I think YT channels are trying to update the coaching dogma to reflect that. I do think SW22's work remains evergreen because it focuses on more core foundational mechanics.

The stuff before the hit is just to set you up for maximum leverage at the hit.

IMO when it comes to distance, its Anna Karenina principle: All good form is good for the same reasons, all bad form is bad for any number of reasons. Those reasons can range from stuff like technique/mechanics to stuff like athleticism and mobility. You can really throw 400' any number of ways, but I think hitting 500+ means a complete rework of how the throw is done and how you think about it and having all of your "ducks in a row".

There is a shift in details in discussion on the DG form, but I do think it reflects the increase in distance we are seeing in the sport. I know nobody agrees but at the professional level 500 is the new 400 and 600 is the new 500 and I think YT channels are trying to update the coaching dogma to reflect that. I do think SW22's work remains evergreen because it focuses on more core foundational mechanics.

Very true, and no disagreement from me. Me, not being any sort of coach, would rather have learned the hit feel then added proper form.

Perhaps I'm asking coaches how they'd teach someone the whip feel.

A lot of these conversations are cyclical and it's notable that the DGCR corpus is only one version of the many tales.

Chris Taylor & blayed are wise to point out moving milestones and some of the "selection" process. Like golf or baseball, you're starting to see athletic cream that rises to the top, and like many sports the tippy top had numerous advantages. The 10s/12s comparison is apt. 600' is rapidly becoming the new 500' at the peak of the game.

In the spirit of cycles, it reminds me of the DGCR classics:

I don't think form up to the release is as important as form during the hit. But I'm a sub-900 golfer, so my opinion doesn't really matter.
Don't be so hard on yourself, seedlings. Your opinion does matter. And your profile picture still causes me to double take and it's been months since you changed it.

On a more on-topic comment, I've been working toward feeling the weight of the disc more. The hammer drill that's been shared a bunch here has been helpful, and I've noticed more distance with the same or less effort. But I'm still working on my timing since I'm not getting the disc to feel "heavy" quite yet. I had it when I was younger but that was 10 years ago, and finding it back has been challenging.

Don't be so hard on yourself, seedlings. Your opinion does matter. And your profile picture still causes me to double take and it's been months since you changed it.

On a more on-topic comment, I've been working toward feeling the weight of the disc more. The hammer drill that's been shared a bunch here has been helpful, and I've noticed more distance with the same or less effort. But I'm still working on my timing since I'm not getting the disc to feel "heavy" quite yet. I had it when I was younger but that was 10 years ago, and finding it back has been challenging.

To quote School of Rock, "those who can't do, teach... and those who can't teach, teach gym." I can even teach gym!

I'm probably an anomaly. I try very hard through all the drills to get all the required athletic positions - as closely as my 1974 vintage physiology and flexibility allow. I am just now starting to feel power in the snap. Everything up to the pocket can go absurdly slow, and all the power comes late without much trying (like my buddy with bad form). Of course, I may never have gotten this far without all the form effort.

I suppose it's about time to change the avatar again, haha.