• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Epic shots at the USDGC

Only one on an obnoxiously large beach cruiser patrolling holes 9-11. but there is always next year.

Not hole 5, hole 15 (the old clown's mouth hole). Not only did it fall to the ground, I believe it rolled away down the hill. If memory serves, he didn't hit the comebacker either. I also believe that made him the last player ever to hole out on that version of the hole. It was changed to its current incarnation in 2006.

Barry did 3-putt on 15, including airballing a comebacker after his first putt rolled down the hill, and ended up taking a 7, but I'm pretty sure the first putt wasn't a drop-in. If memory serves, the gator-arm was on hole 5. Wasn't from 1', though, because he had to lean forward slightly to reach the basket: probably closer to 4'. He bent over, placed his mini, picked up his putter, reached out to to drop it in but didn't reach quite far enough. Ended up taking a 6.

Billy Crump did a video of the '05 final round, with Barry providing commentary. It was available on USDGC.com briefly, but got taken down. Maybe someone can talk Billy into re-releasing it, or maybe the USDGC could work out a deal with the various videographers over the years and put out a compilation DVD of all of the available final rounds.

Last edited:
but I'm pretty sure the gator-arm was on hole 5. Wasn't from 1', though, because he had to lean forward slightly to reach the basket: probably closer to 4'. He bent over, placed his mini, picked up his putter, reached out to to drop it in but didn't reach quite far enough. Ended up taking a 6.
That's the shot I meant.

Was that in 2005? and what round? R4?

Barry did 3-putt on 15, including airballing a comebacker after his first putt rolled down the hill, and ended up taking a 7, but I'm pretty sure the first putt wasn't a drop-in. If memory serves, the gator-arm was on hole 5. Wasn't from 1', though, because he had to lean forward slightly to reach the basket: probably closer to 4'. He bent over, placed his mini, picked up his putter, reached out to to drop it in but didn't reach quite far enough. Ended up taking a 6.

Billy Crump did a video of the '05 final round, with Barry providing commentary. It was available on USDGC.com briefly, but got taken down. Maybe someone can talk Billy into re-releasing it, or maybe the USDGC could work out a deal with the various videographers over the years and put out a compilation DVD of all of the available final rounds.

I saw that video too, and it's been a while, but I believe the dropped putt was on 15. IIRC, Barry proceeded to park 16 with a Roc, and that was pretty amazing before JohnE's Wizard shot. Billy was pretty impressed by it, and Barry said something to the effect of "Yeah, well, I was pretty worked up after that last hole."

But, like I say, it's been a while.

Big Germ's ace throw over the water at this years Throw for Pink, only one to ace over the water...

Not an ace.

If that's an ace, then I've got about 100 unaccounted for aces on the hole I play up and down my neighborhood street.

Imagine if Barry's bounce out on hole 17 would have stuck during "The Battle" with Climo?!

Patrick Brown's cut roller for his second shot on hole 4 this year in R3 that went around the mando and landed within 8 ft of the pin might have been as good as McCray's 100 ft skip shot.

I second Patrick's cut roller on hole four. I can't find video of it (I guess it wasn't properly archived because that is the day they had trouble with the video). His drive was short and right of center, pretty much the worst spot without hitting a tree. He threw a forehand cut roller that went around the mando tree, up the hill, stood up almost straight, rolled into the semi-circle of trees and laid down for an easy putt. Best roller I've ever seen not from the tee (maybe the best among those as well).

barry's super short miss was on 5, it was about an arm's length away.

barry's super short miss was on 5, it was about an arm's length away.
Yes. On the video you can see the water in the lake.

Does anybody know what year and what round this was? And what score did he take?

I second Patrick's cut roller on hole four. I can't find video of it (I guess it wasn't properly archived because that is the day they had trouble with the video). His drive was short and right of center, pretty much the worst spot without hitting a tree. He threw a forehand cut roller that went around the mando tree, up the hill, stood up almost straight, rolled into the semi-circle of trees and laid down for an easy putt. Best roller I've ever seen not from the tee (maybe the best among those as well).

I'd say that was the shot of the tournament, but just like McCray's skip in on 5 it had to have some luck involved, especially at the end of its path. I probably broke that part of the DGplanet archive becasue I rewound it so many times...

Yes. On the video you can see the water in the lake.

Does anybody know what year and what round this was? And what score did he take?

final round 2006 when he blew away the field.

final round 2006 when he blew away the field.

It was the final round, but I'm virtually certain it was 2005, because that's the last year I was able to attend the USDGC (spectator) and the last year I bought a spectator Roc.

It was 2005. I recall Billy talking about Scott Martin talking to him after the screwup and he wasn't even on the card in 2006 <schultz, schweb, brinster, jenkins>

Can anybody find the video? I saw Barry's shot on youtube, and I've searched there for, but I can't locate it.

Latest posts