• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever considered moving for better golf?

I think the Philadelphia area is a great central location for disc golf!
Even though Philly only has 1 course (one of the first ever - Sedgley Woods) within 1 hour driving I can think of about 10 courses, maybe more!
Within 2 hours that number doubles
Within 4 hours you get to include Pittsburgh courses, Paw Paw, Maryland, some VA courses, not to mention the NY and CT courses!

I know we are talking immediate area here, but as far as a central location goes, I love it here.

Sedgley Woods
Tyler State Park
Vineland, NJ (2 courses)
a # of small 9 holers
Allentown courses - Little Lehigh, Nocamixon, Jordan, etc.
Tinicum
French Creek
Brandywine
Kennett Square

that is just off the top of my head all within an hour from Philly....

jeremy said:
mikesolt said:
SE PA aint a bad location either :)
Too far north

In all reality, here in Philly - we only got measureable snow once or twice this year and they were each only a few inches and gone within a day or two!
Sure, it gets cold, but as long as there is not major snow, who cares?

I love this area for the great mix of weather we get here while still being able to golf year round basically!

We'll be wearing shorts in just a few short weeks! Hopefully by 4/5 for the Philly Open......

ericdmb said:
I think the Philadelphia area is a great central location for disc golf!
Even though Philly only has 1 course (one of the first ever - Sedgley Woods) within 1 hour driving I can think of about 10 courses, maybe more!
Within 2 hours that number doubles
Within 4 hours you get to include Pittsburgh courses, Paw Paw, Maryland, some VA courses, not to mention the NY and CT courses!
I like doing this with my zip code.

According to the PDGA website, 38 courses within 60 miles, 98 within 120 miles and 309 within 240 miles. It helps having Kansas City and the Twin Cities within those ranges. Now the number of courses worth driving two to four hours for might be a bit different.

I have to agree with SkaBob on this one. I love living in Michigan, you have your pick of beginner courses all the way up. I live in a city that carries to courses(neither very big) but have a blast playing on them none the less.

Moistymoe, do you get out to Wagner dubs, Bobis dubs or the Chain Gang league? I play starr quite a lot, we should get a round in sometime...

SkaBob said:
Moistymoe, do you get out to Wagner dubs, Bobis dubs or the Chain Gang league? I play starr quite a lot, we should get a round in sometime...
Me too, me too! :p

sleepy

I'm still at a point now where I just play casual, I play Wagner a lot, Starr not so much due to the fact I still can't navigate my way through it. I'd love to go for a round sometime though, probably help out my game a bit.

sleepy said:
SkaBob said:

Hey I do golf with you! Every 8 months when you have time for a round... :shock: :lol:

moistymoe said:
I'm still at a point now where I just play casual, I play Wagner a lot, Starr not so much due to the fact I still can't navigate my way through it.

I'd be happy to show you the right way around the place...It's a little confusing if nothing else when the tee pad for one of the holes is nonexistent, and it's true location known only to a few...

Haha just PM whenever you get a chance to play, I'm free Tuesdays and Wednesdays during the days and the weekends. The sad thing is I use to live right behind Starr and still don't have a clue

SkaBob said:
sleepy said:
SkaBob said:

Hey I do golf with you! Every 8 months when you have time for a round... :shock: :lol:
I know, it sucks. Such is the life of a grad student! :cry:

sleepy

So my short weekend flight to Iowa was a blast. We toured the university, and managed to get in 2 rounds of DG. Played Saturday evening at Turkey Creek...Pretty fun course, way way way crowded because of the weather being so amazing and other courses being underwater. Played at Peninsula Park on Sunday before we headed back to the airport, that is a really great course, I wish 1/3rd of it was not submerged. We even tried to get to a course up in Cedar Rapids on the way to the airport, but could not find it.

As it turns out, my weekend was only a preview as my wife and I will be moving to Iowa in the fall! I met some really cool people, especially the guy that works at that little bait shop/disc store right before you get to Turkey Creek.

Side note, the coolest thing I noticed in Iowa when comparing the DG scene to ours in Richmond...When I would stop a random person on the road to ask how to get to a disc golf course or mention disc golf in random conversation, EVERYBODY knows the sport! I get so many odd looks when I say the words "disc golf" here, even when I think...oh maybe they know "frisbee golf" that only helps sometimes :p

I look forward to playing with the many Iowa disc golfers on these boards.

jnecessary said:
Side note, the coolest thing I noticed in Iowa when comparing the DG scene to ours in Richmond...When I would stop a random person on the road to ask how to get to a disc golf course or mention disc golf in random conversation, EVERYBODY knows the sport! I get so many odd looks when I say the words "disc golf" here, even when I think...oh maybe they know "frisbee golf" that only helps sometimes :p
That's partially a college town thing. You may not get that everyplace you go. The first time we tried to play at Waterworks in Des Moines we asked a park ranger where it was (Waterworks is a big park) and he had no idea what we were talking about.

IC is a really cool town. It's hard not to have fun living there.

if you dont mind a harsh winter minnesota has a shit load of courses. within the twin cites you can get to atleast 10-15 within 30 to 45 minutes drive

jnecessary said:
So my short weekend flight to Iowa was a blast. . . .
I look forward to playing with the many Iowa disc golfers on these boards.

Glad you had a good visit. I'm sorry our schedules didn't mesh so I could show you around. Let us know when you are moving up and we'll have to get together to play.

I dunno if anyone's mentioned Michigan golf yet...

I don't have to move for an abundance of great golf. Within an hour's drive there're so many courses it's amazing. And so many of them are just phenominal. If you ever get out this way, come out when the toboggan's baskets are in, or play with a local that knows the course, but PLAY THAT COURSE. If I lived anywhere I didn't totally love like nothing else, I'd move here for golf if that's how I was choosing.

i think that MI gets a bad look due to the winters, but i have allways said that MI has to be one of the best d.g. states.

ann arbor is a mecca, there are 5 courses ( 6 if you count the few baskets at pioneer high) within 10 mins, and then hudson mills and kensington, both world class courses, within 30 mins, not to mention the many courses in the metro detrot area within 30-60 min drives.

that paired with the fact that discraft is in wixom makes michigan a top breeding ground for disc.

Latest posts