• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flat Thumb vs. Pinch Thumb

drk_evns

Eagle Member
Any insight onto the amount of contact your thumb has on the disc? I've always "pinched" with a bent thumb a la Avery Jenkins, but Drew Gibson told Bodanza to flatten that thumb out to increase contact. For me, it feels like it shifts where the pressure is applied.

I got more nose down with the Avery thumb tip, but it ended up hurting my thumb joint after awhile, so I keep it flat ever since.

I go flat but I pinch hard, especially on mids when I use a birdie grip. I indent the top with my thumb, just forwards of my middle finger. It always feels like snapping my fingers backwards when I get a good release.

Sounds like Avery built up a hard-core Nintendo Thumb.. an injury I try to avoid

Feldberg states in one of his video's that nose angle is controlled by a combination of your pinky and your thumb pressure.

I've just naturally formed the bent thumb. Sometimes my discs get permanent dents where I squeeze them. I haven't noticed any pain or issues in that joint, but I'll keep an eye on it. When I flatten my thumb, it feels like more of the pressure moves to my back three fingers and also further back on the proximal palmar crease/traverse. It seems to widen the contact area. The reason I feel more comfortable with the bent thumb, is that it brings all that pressure into a more focused point.

I'll have to try them both. I can see how I could hold it even more firmly with a flat thumb.

I've just naturally formed the bent thumb. Sometimes my discs get permanent dents where I squeeze them. I haven't noticed any pain or issues in that joint, but I'll keep an eye on it. When I flatten my thumb, it feels like more of the pressure moves to my back three fingers and also further back on the proximal palmar crease/traverse. It seems to widen the contact area. The reason I feel more comfortable with the bent thumb, is that it brings all that pressure into a more focused point.

I'll have to try them both. I can see how I could hold it even more firmly with a flat thumb.
Seabass has soft hands from working one of those computer jobs. shhh. =)

Any insight onto the amount of contact your thumb has on the disc? I've always "pinched" with a bent thumb a la Avery Jenkins, but Drew Gibson told Bodanza to flatten that thumb out to increase contact. For me, it feels like it shifts where the pressure is applied.
Hmm... did not know that about Avery. My backhand grip in terms of disc orientation in the hand and the way my fingers wrap around the rim are built on how Avery grips the disc. I wonder what switching up to his thumb orientation would do to my pop.

Hmm... Interesting. I wonder what your thumb orientation is like. I feel like I still get the pressure in the same spot, driving into the last crease on my index finger. It just seems to bring the tip of my thumb back to the same spot that the flat of the thumb was pressing on.

Might be driving the pressure into a smaller point though. Very interested to do something with this in the field in the next week.

I got more nose down with the Avery thumb tip, but it ended up hurting my thumb joint after awhile, so I keep it flat ever since.

I've always had the flat thumb, seems like more contact area = more spin, power and speed. One of many reasons why bigger hands lead to more spin and speed, it's just more contact space, same reason why a larger brake pad would add more torque and power to stop a car. Bigger brake pad = better brakes, larger hand = more contact space on disc = more speed and spin. I'd argue a flat thumb is an easy way to increase thumb size and contact on disc.

I know from my indoor rock climbing days that the larger grips and handles on the wall automatically make grips stronger, for the simple reason of more contact space on grip. Seems like this an appropriate comparison for gripping discs.

Interesting enough my friend noticed I was using a pinch thumb grip which I had never really thought about. He tried it out with some initial success.

I've always had the flat thumb, seems like more contact area = more spin, power and speed. One of many reasons why bigger hands lead to more spin and speed, it's just more contact space, same reason why a larger brake pad would add more torque and power to stop a car. Bigger brake pad = better brakes, larger hand = more contact space on disc = more speed and spin. I'd argue a flat thumb is an easy way to increase thumb size and contact on disc.

I know from my indoor rock climbing days that the larger grips and handles on the wall automatically make grips stronger, for the simple reason of more contact space on grip. Seems like this an appropriate comparison for gripping discs.
OK so contact (area of mass) could be good for traction/friction, like you said..

If you have a certain pressure and you distribute it over a wider area there is less psi. IE 30 psi of pressure across a pinch say 1 square unit at 30psi, vs a flat thumb of 2 squares for 15psi could be a valid argument against, especially in conditions of increased viscosity (rain)

My example of pinch being beneficial would be the impact of high heels on hardwood floor or the idea to use the skinniest tires possible on a bush 4x4. (Only tiny dick idiots put big swampers on.. or dudes from California with actual sand and beach issues)

I don't know which is better but I know what I prefer....

Flat thumbs, small tires on a big truck, and high heels.. The answer is simple you see. Yeehaw