• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flip vs flex

semisensei

Par Member
Which is the superior line for consistent golf shots?
Brian E mentioned in the Blue Ridge Championship's final round that Gannon Buhr thinks that the flex is "the future" for disc golf, and that he emulates Ricky's style, which favors the flex.
Your thoughts, Tech & Strat?

Which is the superior line for consistent golf shots?
Brian E mentioned in the Blue Ridge Championship's final round that Gannon Buhr thinks that the flex is "the future" for disc golf, and that he emulates Ricky's style, which favors the flex.
Your thoughts, Tech & Strat?

He also said that Paul McBeth favors the hyzer flip type. Personal preference.

There's a time and place for both i.e. tunnel shots vs open space or the direction of the wind in relation to where you need your disc to land.

I tend to favor the flip but I'd be lost without throwing flex shots frequently as well.

Hyzerflips are also great for FH/BH dominant players that need to emulate the reverse shot shape. I have a fine approach FH but distance is minimal. If I need a "distance FH" I'll play the BH hyzerflip to late turn shot, or accept losing a stroke and play a shorter controlled shot instead.

Everyone has their preferences, but what Grip said rings true:
There's a time and place for both i.e. tunnel shots vs open space or the direction of the wind in relation to where you need your disc to land.

Sorry for double post, but the 5 min monster got me. :eek:

As Grip alluded to, the two shots may yield similar results, but the "better" choice may depend on the unique set of conditions in play, at that particular time.

One should also consider what happens if you something goes wrong, what the most likely miss is, and which shot minimizes the "penalty" for missing .

As a player that prefers flex shots I think that the flex shots allow you to throw more consistent and reliable discs (read overstable). Still, a good player needs to learn both.

Shape required and wind direction is a huge factor. Its easier to throw a flex over trees, they also fly better in right to left winds. Hyzerflip is often better in the wind since it's capable of a longer straight flight prior to the helix.

I enjoy the beauty of both type of shots, my best distance is going to be a flip with wind. For my purposes it's about knowing which disc and wind condition to pull it off.

I know my best disc for a flip is a Star Mamba in the open or no greater than moderate woods. On a tight line a Fission Wave, as wind increases in the open such as 15 mph hour and greater, I turn to the Wave and ignore the mamba. 25 mph wind a Halo Mamba will flip to stable, but I can also flex it in lesser wind.

My flex disc a flippy Star Destroyer, G-Star Corvette, and more recently a Plasma Volt in heavy woods to hit gaps.

Then there's that one disc that seems to go against the current. My Neutron Rhythm I would think would be a flip disc, but nope a greater flex disc. It's my most reliable disc in the bag for hitting gaps, or open distance greater than some of my 9-speeds. I'm always looking to use it and have a backup.

Ricky can carve up the woods with all kinds of shots. If we were playing woods only i don't think Gannons would be on the podium.

Instead it's 90% open courses, where flex shots both reduced the margin for error with stabler discs, and you have the air space needed to throw it.

Lines are obviously different, but when the line does not require a flip then flexing it seems like the more reliable option to me. For a flip you need to gauge how much it will turn and therefor have to think about the angle and speed you throw it at. The amount of flip you get also changes a lot with the wind. For a flex you need to gauge the angle but you can otherwise give it the power you need for the distance and just gauge how much fade will take it out of the flex line. I think there is also the trend towards overstable discs, especially someone like Ricky just fills his bag up with pure beef discs.

I enjoy the beauty of both type of shots, my best distance is going to be a flip with wind. For my purposes it's about knowing which disc and wind condition to pull it off.
Then there's that one disc that seems to go against the current. My Neutron Rhythm I would think would be a flip disc, but nope a greater flex disc. It's my most reliable disc in the bag for hitting gaps, or open distance greater than some of my 9-speeds. I'm always looking to use it and have a backup.

Yup and yup.

The rhythm is an odd duck, Interesting to hear what people with more power experience with it, im surprised the flex holds up under more power, I assumed it was going to be in your flip category too. I feel like it does some hybrid of both with the "forward penetrating fade" and some kinda autocorrect to a straight flight... but I've also never been a great hyzer flipper :D Either way happy to see it mentioned by someone other than me haha

I think the flex shot is the way it's heading just with the way new discs are.. You know wider rims and stuff and the accelerated learning curve in a resource rich environment... more power to harness sooner, I think newer players will gravitate towards the flex accidentally.

Last edited:
In my experience new players gravitate towards the flex because it is the easiest way to get distance with terrible form. Certainly was the case for me long ago.

Me as well.. I'm currently in the middle of a star Scorpion flex revival. :D

And a form rebuild...

Experiment with both and see what works best. I'm forehand dominant and I'm playing with both. I tend to prefer a baby hyzer flip, but I was playing with shallow flex lines yesterday with some pretty good success. There are a few shots on my local course where I'm playing with both lines. I need the disc to start straight, turn about half way, then fade fairly decently at the end. So far the flex seems to work best for these lines because in general the discs that flip up and turn the way I need them to don't have the stability needed to come back hard enough at the end.

I have been playing since the late 90's and it seemed like we all learned the flip as the go-to drive technique back then. In the last couple of years watching the DGPT, I have noticed how effective the flex shot can be. I started incorporating it into my game and it has really helped my scores. Interestingly, I use it more in the tight woods than in the open. Sounds like that might not be the norm, but here in the mid-Atlantic region we have a lot of tight wooded courses and I find myself needing to hit squirrely lines by flexing an overstable disc.

I have been playing since the late 90's and it seemed like we all learned the flip as the go-to drive technique back then. In the last couple of years watching the DGPT, I have noticed how effective the flex shot can be. I started incorporating it into my game and it has really helped my scores. Interestingly, I use it more in the tight woods than in the open. Sounds like that might not be the norm, but here in the mid-Atlantic region we have a lot of tight wooded courses and I find myself needing to hit squirrely lines by flexing an overstable disc.

Your usage is the exact opposite of mine. I find it much easier to hit tight gaps throwing with hyzer.