• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

From SC to Western PA. Any recommendations appreciated.

In mid-to-late July, I'll be driving from Northwest SC to Seven Springs, PA. I would love to stop for a few rounds of disc golf on the way.

I've looked through all the databases and found only a few really good courses on that route (up 77, over on 79). I know most of the really good ones down here (SC), but will concentrate more on things from Virginia, through WV, and into PA, to get some new states on the list.

Any suggestions for great places to stop?

Thanks.

Seven Springs Resort is a terrific place to stay. There is a course on site, though I am not sure I would recommend it. From Seven Springs it is just a short drive to a bit of a disc golf mecca. Deer Lakes was my favorite. Moraine, Knob Hill were both fantastic. I have also played Schenley....a nice, old school, park style course that has less elevation and challenge. I believe it is Two Mile Extention that gets some big love here, but I have not played it. We were able to take a drive to Seth Burton/ Orange Crush as well. Very much worth the drive. Whipping Post/ Woodshed should be considered. I have not played these.

Seven Springs Resort is a terrific place to stay. There is a course on site, though I am not sure I would recommend it. From Seven Springs it is just a short drive to a bit of a disc golf mecca. Deer Lakes was my favorite. Moraine, Knob Hill were both fantastic. I have also played Schenley....a nice, old school, park style course that has less elevation and challenge. I believe it is Two Mile Extention that gets some big love here, but I have not played it. We were able to take a drive to Seth Burton/ Orange Crush as well. Very much worth the drive. Whipping Post/ Woodshed should be considered. I have not played these.
Thanks! I had already noticed the Seth Burton course is on our way up. The PA ones you mention are a bit of a drive from Seven Springs (everything is). I had read that 7S is not a good place to play and, even staying on site for the game convention, I doubt I'll give it a go. It looks like everything in Pittsburgh is over an hour distant each way, which may be too long to make the round trip from the hotel. I guess I'm spoiled by having so many good courses within a 30 minute drive from here. :)

Depending on your route through VA, consider Spillman and Stinky's (the latter requires calling ahead). Although Jenkins Mountain is close by (with brewery and winery), the course can become overgrown, and might not in the best shape (if however you time it near a tournament, it's worth the stop).

It would be easier to give recommendations if we knew what courses you have already played. That said:

Harmon Hills is fantastic and only adds 30 minutes to your route. Sugar Hollow would also be on that route, and is well worth playing.

New River Gorge National Park is on the way. Lake Stephens is nearby and looks promising.

Seth Burton / Orange Crush are on your route, and Orange Crush is a must-play if you like hills and woods.

I will second ru4por's suggestion to hit some Pittsburgh courses. Lots to choose from between Deer Lakes, North Boundary, Moraine, Knob Hill, and Schenley. Linbrook and Two Mile Run Extension are outstanding niners, and I also hear good things about Denny Park.

Have a great trip!

Thanks! I had already noticed the Seth Burton course is on our way up. The PA ones you mention are a bit of a drive from Seven Springs (everything is). I had read that 7S is not a good place to play and, even staying on site for the game convention, I doubt I'll give it a go. It looks like everything in Pittsburgh is over an hour distant each way, which may be too long to make the round trip from the hotel. I guess I'm spoiled by having so many good courses within a 30 minute drive from here. :)
The Seven Springs course is a nice hike. They do have a cool alpine slide and some very good mountain biking trails there, as well. The pool was wonderful, lol.

Agreed, there is not much right near the resort.

North Boundry is the course that many reviewers here have touted as terrific, not Two Mile.

North Boundry is the course that many reviewers here have touted as terrific, not Two Mile.

Two mile run is about as good of a 9 hole as you'll ever see. Linbrook is also great.

It would be easier to give recommendations if we knew what courses you have already played. That said:
Thanks for the info. I've played a total of 10 or 11 courses, one in NC and the rest in upstate SC, so I'm wide open for suggestions. My route will probably be I-85 N to I-77 N to I-79 to I-68, though there are a couple of similar options.