• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

God, I Love Pittsburgh Disc Golf

toddnick

Par Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Just returned from a gorgeous weekend of 80 degree weather on Friday and Saturday in the Pittsburgh area (there was an ice storm 3 1/2 hours away in Buffalo where I live), I stayed at one of the cabins (they are very nice) at Moraine State Park.

Friday - Left Buffalo at 6am and made it to Deer Lakes around 10 am. An absolutely beautiful day and only one other person on the course for the first round. Had lunch at Deer Creek Diner, food here is always a highlights of my Pittsburgh trips, great breakfast and lunch grub. Played a second round at Deer Lakes (this time there were about 5 other cars in the parking lot). Playing Deer Lakes again confirmed that it is my favorite disc golf course that I've played; it is a joy every time I step up to the tees on holes 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11, 13, 14, 15, and 16 (yup, twelve highlight holes). The three par 5's are all among my top 10 holes that I've ever played.

Saturday - First player on Moraine at 6:45 am. Moraine ranks just below Deer Lakes as the second favorite course that I've played. Such a great use of elevation and wooded holes; I consider the highlight holes here to be 2, 4, 6, 7, 12, 13, 15, 16 and 18. I think it has more lower ceiling holes than Deer Lakes which i generally don't like. Drove to Sugarcreek Park and completed a round as the only person on the course. This place is a newer really fun course primarily in the woods; carpet tee pads but with nice elevated baskets, hanging baskets, and a basket in a shelter. Several shorter holes here but has a few longer and quite challenging holes. Loved the round; doesn't hurt that it was like 70 degrees and sunshine all the way around. Then drove to Slippery Rock to play round #3 of the day at the "other course" from 2015 Worlds for the first time. It was a let down; it was hard to navigate, long walks between holes, mostly open bomber shots, lots of wind exposure, grass (white) tees, buildings and athletic fields border half the holes, etc.

Sunday - Again hit Moraine at 6:45 am and played in a few drops of rain. Then packed out of the cabin and headed home.

I wish that i lived closer to this destination town (I've also played and enjoyed The Pines in Hermitage and Knob Hill on previous trips). I'll be back to Pittsburgh for a similar weekend in early November, can't wait. Really hope that the new epic J. Gary course in Cranberry will be ready to play by then!

I totally agree, Deer Lakes is ever so slightly better than Moraine while both are outstanding! Most years I drive from the east coast to Indiana and Pittsburgh just happens to be half way in between, it's a great stop to play golf. Sometimes I drive 5 hrs before and after playing or play late in the day and drive the other half the next day. Don't forgot Knob Hill, it's even closer to the interstate(s) and under rated simply because DL and Moraine are relatively close nearby.

Damn, I just drove back from PA to WI on friday and stopped at moraine to play a round. I knew I should have posted here to see if anybody wanted to play, I could have met up with you at deer lakes.

People always forget about my open invite to play... sigh...

I'm glad everybody is enjoying the area. The club has been working our butts off making it what it is today. I'll forward this on the the facebook page!

Latest posts