• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hole Handicaps

Baby steps, I took you off of my ignore list since I feel like your posts have gotten better. I will be less snarky towards you.

But I understand handicap leagues, I just dont like that I can absolutely beat the course and shoot hot and still lose by a lot because of the handicap. Never liked that concept.

I've never cared for it, from the opposite end. If someone shoots 10 strokes better than I do, I can't bring myself to claim I beat him, because of our relative handicaps. It doesn't actually feel like a win. It feels like an advantage you might give a little kid -- a head start in a foot race, for example.

But I come from non-handicapping sports. A portion of disc golfers like handicapped leagues, and I'm all in favor of whatever people enjoy.

Best score (best ball) is far less popular, handicapped or not. We use it in a tournament I run, and I like it, but it hasn't caught on. If people are going to play doubles, they tend to like best shot, where most of their mistakes are erased, and there are more opportunities to gamble on a risky shot.

So mix best score & handicapped, and you've really narrowed down the number of players who might be interested.

I agree. We run one of our leagues with a handicap division. Offering both a raw score season and handicap season. We generally find AM3 players gravitating toward the handicap division and AM1/2 players playing raw score.

But I understand handicap leagues, I just dont like that I can absolutely beat the course and shoot hot and still lose by a lot because of the handicap. Never liked that concept.

and this is why I think better players mostly stay away from handicap leagues, but AMs like them.

The better option is to run it mixed.....payout for best non-handicap score and payout for the best handicapped score. Each player enters which ever pool they want to play for.

You ask what is actually an interesting question then slap everyone reading it with a dumba$$ed insult. Should be pretty obvious why so many have you blocked.

While I don't think it's too complicated for disc GOLFERS, I think it is too complicated for disc golf. Not that it can't be used...but the proverbial "the juice isn't worth the squeeze" probably applies. People who are already tracking handicaps, course average scores, etc...no problem. But to do an extra work for a format that's not very popular, and not even very popular in ball golf...probably not worth it.

It's also a bit off in that for ball golf, this is not a complicated thing at all. Ball golf is largely driven by a national handicapping system, courses are pretty much all handicapped (slope), holes at those courses are already handicapped, and they're primarily using paper scorecards.

Most ball golfers don't even bother with slope in these contests...they show up, they say "I'm a 4, you're a 7, you get 1 shot each on the 3 hardest holes...oh look they're already noted on our scorecards, circle those 3 holes, you get to drop a shot on those 3".

The biggest difference I see is that ball golfers notoriously inflate their handicaps (the environment seems to be that of trying to negotiate an advantage if you can), disc golfers would seem to prefer to appear as good as possible.