• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I was bored, so I made a graph of the history of long courses

Eman

pubchart

Surprise, surprise, there are more being built recently than ever before

So, that's like 26 courses? Out of what? Maybe 3,000 or more courses? Still a pretty small percentage of super long courses.

It did make me look up some of my favorite courses and apparently courses in the 6,500 to 8,000 range seem to be my favorites.

Assume the temporary USDGC Winthrop Gold course isn't in the chart but it's typically been set up close to 10,000+ feet since 2001ish.

It did make me look up some of my favorite courses and apparently courses in the 6,500 to 8,000 range seem to be my favorites.

Yes, most of my favorites are also in the 6,500 - 8,000' range. Although I do derive inordinate enjoyment from well-designed short courses, too.

Is that courses placed into service that particular year, or does it include courses which extended their length as well?

What was the length of the original course in Old Settlers Park (Round Rock, TX)? National Doubles was held there for quite a few years and I remember it being pretty long. I think it opened in 1990.

Does this include extinct courses? Or only courses that are still open today?

The graph is based on The listed years of founding and lengths on this website. Some of the courses may have changed length since founding, so the listed date doesn't reflect when the course went over 10,0000 feet. Also, some courses recorded founding years aren't accurate, like Lake Marshall, The Lions, one of the two 12,000ft courses are listed as 2017 but was not complete until much more recently. However, I just left all courses as their listed year because I can't check that for them. Temporary tour courses like Winthorp are not included. Extinct courses are also not included.

So, that's like 26 courses? Out of what? Maybe 3,000 or more courses? Still a pretty small percentage of super long courses.

I have worked on 2 extant 10k+ courses (Lions and Raptor's Roost Wing) and am currently working on a third. Lions is still huge in the "short" layout but has 2 shorter courses on site. Wing has 3 sets of tees and 2 baskets per hole and can get as short as roughly 5k ft and has shorter courses at the same site. The new one will have both a shorter layout and a shorter course on site. I am not sure these courses function very well without the shorter options. I don't find either Lions or Wing to be any fun in the long setups but they weren't designed for me to begin with. 8k or so seems to be my preference for play as well.

I have worked on 2 extant 10k+ courses (Lions and Raptor's Roost Wing) and am currently working on a third. Lions is still huge in the "short" layout but has 2 shorter courses on site. Wing has 3 sets of tees and 2 baskets per hole and can get as short as roughly 5k ft and has shorter courses at the same site. The new one will have both a shorter layout and a shorter course on site. I am not sure these courses function very well without the shorter options. I don't find either Lions or Wing to be any fun in the long setups but they weren't designed for me to begin with. 8k or so seems to be my preference for play as well.

really interesting concept

i was thinkin of this too that some new dg courses outgrew my arm but i just didnt want to admit it

I don't find either Lions or Wing to be any fun in the long setups but they weren't designed for me to begin with. 8k or so seems to be my preference for play as well.

Noodle armed ole me enjoys the hell out of Lions from the longs even though I'm scoring high! The only hole that's annoying for me is 7 where I struggle to lay up anywhere successfully before the water!

There's a new course being built at Toledo Bend. I am following the Facebook page dedicated to it. From one of the posts: I've got 7 holes set on the "Ali's Revenge" Course. Five par 4's and two par 5's.

I think this one will be long.