• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Instant rating feedback?

nothinbuttree

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
This may have been dealt with before, if so, kindly point me in that direction. :)

Is there anyway, either on this forum, or elsewhere, to get some idea of how my just completed round at course X might be rated, were there a tournament there? Now I know each tourney is different--weather, tee position changes, propagators present, etc.

I also know about SSE, but that is almost the opposite of what I would like. That shows what a 1000-rated player (scratch) would likely score on that layout, on average. I am just a wee bit from being a 1000 rated player, so not much help there.

Example:
Course X is a par 58, 6500'. SSE is 49, meaning the average 1000-rated pro would be most likely to score -9 on average, playing it multiple times.

I play it, and get, say, even par. What round rating would that equate to?

I also know one can go to PDGA and look at prior tournaments, see scores with the rated rounds for a particular layout, and usually get a close guess at what that par would be.
But, many courses have had no tourneys, and let's be honest--that's a lot of work when one plays several courses a week.

Any thoughts?

And without a reference point such as a tournament, that becomes much less meaningful.

If you have the SSE, that acts as a reference point.

Approximately 10 points a throw. So PAR ~910 round

That's very rough, but the most simple answer.

Both this and the ratings posted on rounds scored on this website seem to be in the ballpark of what I've seen for sanctioned league/tournament results.

….at least for am type players. It doesn't seem like a 1045 rated player has much of a chance to shoot their rating on "easy" courses.

Both this and the ratings posted on rounds scored on this website seem to be in the ballpark of what I've seen for sanctioned league/tournament results.

….at least for am type players. It doesn't seem like a 1045 rated player has much of a chance to shoot their rating on "easy" courses.

I feel like the opposite is true. The rounds that I record on here seem to be much higher rated then I would imagine.

The free PDGA app, if the course is in the database and you put in a par and distance for each hole, will calculate a "rating" for your round. It's rudimentary, but it seems to calculate something within the ballpark.

I feel like the opposite is true. The rounds that I record on here seem to be much higher rated then I would imagine.

Yeah. Somewhere between AM scores and 1045 is where it looks like it gets really tough to shoot your rating at local smaller tournaments around here. Chris Dickerson can go out on tour and finish top 10 and play his rating or better. Or he can come to a local tourney, beat a bunch of 990-1020 rated guys by a couple of strokes (which means some of those guys probably played really well) and average about 1030.

This site will also calculate it if you use the Scorebook. It's not perfect, but it'll give you a good idea.

Y'all are gonna roast me but I did not know this existed. :doh:

I will definitely try this! Guess I should have taken the site tour when I signed up!

Three answers for you:

1. DGCR website (scorebook) or DGCR app

2. PDGA app (shows up as Disc Golf 2 - PDGA in Google Play store)

3. Make your own sheet for your area like this Google Spreadsheet (hopefully this shows up right) by looking through tourney results. I did this by finding a 1000-rated round at a tourney, then a 900-rated round, quickly manually calculating the points/throw and using that to create the 900, 800 & 700 rated columns. This spreadsheet was made to allow handicap matches between players with different ratings (i.e. for my son & I). The way it is set up now I left the two ratings boxes unprotected so other people could use it to generate handicaps but I protected the rest of the spreadsheet so the course numbers couldn't be altered.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SD6S-Vcfdj0WLKwtf1NXi-2M1SUTKGweSR9rLgIGsAA/edit#gid=0

None are perfect, all are much better than nothing.

Latest posts