• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Just two "minor" tweaks, that might improve your FH.

Kennets

Birdie Member
Disclaimer: I'm not a coach, nor am I a doctor or good at the game - i just like to throw FH and help people getting better at it. Please do not just go to the field and blow your shoulder/elbow out.

First off, English isn't my first language. I'll do my best!

There's a million well explained guides out there, but i thought i would tell you guys about my experience on how two "minor" things blew my mind.

- hip/shoulder separation! - i watched a FH tutorial with Ryan Sheldon on the subject and realized that when i threw, everything just comes through at once - hip/shoulder/arm. Getting that separation is key for better (effortless) distance.

What worked for ME, was doing a standstill motion, keeping the arm back (close to peak reachback)slowly shifting the weight from the back to the front foot, bracing on the front foot (slight push back and up), feeling how the hips turning, tensing up the core and THEN "power" the arm through. It's even possible to do without a disc - in a slow motion throw to get the feeling of it.

Just go to the field and fling your putters/mids whatever out.. don't focus on power, distance or lines - simply just get a grasp on how the lower body gets in on it (the same feeling when throwing a good BH).

I'm still trying to incorporate the same "lag" with a full run-up, but it's getting there.

Watching slow-mo's of pitchers actually got me to get a more proper understanding of the "seperation"

I'm hindered by my poor English to explain more in-depth - feel free to add on the subject

2. - grip (and release angle?)

For the fun of it, i tried out a power grip (Paul mcbeth) instead of my usual stacked grip and overshot a 330 feet hyzer shot with what felt like zero effort. And I've never tried out the grip before.

I've switched to the power grip for my drives and BOY did it add some fuel (for me mule) on my drives. When rewatching videos of myself, i had a swooping motion in my pull, but i guess that the switch in grip somehow forces me to pull in a more straight line and suits me better, since I've eliminated next to all flutter out of the hand.

I know this is probably common sense to many, just thought I would share it - it might help someone out!

(Humble brag): i know i had "decent" form before these minor tweaks, but this got me to actually hit my lines around the 430 mark instead of just praying to jebus that my disc would end up on the fairway.

FH noob. I'd like to be putting serious work on a FH some time next year, but I related to your first point. I'm trying to not repeat the lower body mistakes I've made in BH and sometimes it's nice to have a FH shot in the bag.

It's been very helpful just to be more conscious of how I rock and shift my weight into the abrupt crush on one leg or completely off the drive leg and be extremely patient to allow the lagged arm sling through. I focus on avoiding late cock by setting up with it pre-cocked like Wysocki or Jerm or SW22. I take a couple practice pumps feeling the lag and slash through the release point. These changes alone are giving me a serviceable approach FH without lots of practice. It is also indirectly helping me make progress on my BH leg mechanics and rocks.

I'll be coming back for advice from you FH cannoneers soon!

I have a competent forehand that is better at hitting gaps than my backhand. I started by flicking ALL approaches. Repetition in the short throws helped the longer throws come along. I can maybe throw 300' but that's enough.

It's been very helpful just to be more conscious of how I rock and shift my weight into the abrupt crush on one leg or completely off the drive leg and be extremely patient to allow the lagged arm sling through.

Thinking out loud, and wondering if this is on track: lag implies timing or sequencing - weight shift and hip turn (or maybe no hip if already front ala Ryan Sheldon) followed by shoulder turn. SW22 mentioned recently something about power from core rather than legs. Hip and shoulder separation might be sufficient to allow use of core or anterior oblique sling without the lag timing, just from the braced position. That slow forward brace the OP mentioned might be doing that.

Thinking out loud, and wondering if this is on track: lag implies timing or sequencing - weight shift and hip turn (or maybe no hip if already front ala Ryan Sheldon) followed by shoulder turn. SW22 mentioned recently something about power from core rather than legs. Hip and shoulder separation might be sufficient to allow use of core or anterior oblique sling without the lag timing, just from the braced position. That slow forward brace the OP mentioned might be doing that.

I'm not sure if i understand you fully (No harm meant, English isn't my first language).

For me, the lag timing comes directly as a byproduct of the separation. My BH mechanics is trash, but the feeling from the hips and up is very similar, the only difference is (as you mentioned) that i don't feel like I'm getting THAT much power from the legs.. yet.at least not on a run-up.

For me, my main focus is - keep the upper body coiled as long and much as possible (watch out for any strain), plant/brace, let the tension in the core guide you through the rest of the throw. It feels like the BH hammer drill - at some point you don't have a choice, your arm just power through all of the energy behind it.

FH is such a strange thing really - i don't feel like there too much in-depth material on it (or i might looking the wrong places for it)..

Thanks for your replies lads!

Been working on the same thing and yes the hip/shoulder seperation seems like its key but its hard to accomplish. Instead of focusing on core i have started to focus on footwork, small shuffle step elbow already cocked infront of wrist then hard push from rear leg into hard plant with your arm being relaxed doing its on lag behind thing. It goes back without
thinking about it in the shuffle step. When turning my backfoot like 70-90 degress the pressure on the backleg helps turning by upperbody and after planting im trying to extra push my elbow down the fairway.

I think this metod is great to start with atleast if you got alot of elbow pain before. I'm trying to incoporate more core turn into it but it often vreck my throwes straightening my back in the end turning the disc over.

Been working on the same thing and yes the hip/shoulder seperation seems like its key but its hard to accomplish. Instead of focusing on core i have started to focus on footwork, small shuffle step elbow already cocked infront of wrist then hard push from rear leg into hard plant with your arm being relaxed doing its on lag behind thing. It goes back without
thinking about it in the shuffle step. When turning my backfoot like 70-90 degress the pressure on the backleg helps turning by upperbody and after planting im trying to extra push my elbow down the fairway.

I think this metod is great to start with atleast if you got alot of elbow pain before. I'm trying to incoporate more core turn into it but it often vreck my throwes straightening my back in the end turning the disc over.

The "relaxing your arm" is something i somehow left out in my post. That's definitely a key factor too! The only "issue" i have with trying to stay loose in the arm and then explode last second, is that I'm afraid of putting too much strain on the arm - even though it doesnt feel like it, at all.

The "relaxing your arm" is something i somehow left out in my post. That's definitely a key factor too! The only "issue" i have with trying to stay loose in the arm and then explode last second, is that I'm afraid of putting too much strain on the arm - even though it doesnt feel like it, at all.

Ye same, it can hurt alot!
Thats why im trying to have my elbow already infront of my wrist and staying loose at the same time, its easy to loose the position if you swing back but I kinda focus on lock it there and let elbow go away from body in that position, it might go inline with my wrist in reachback then forward again. Seems to work good :) more consistent releases more spin without wobble, of course it could be other things changing my throw aswell by doing that.

Btw was just out and focus abit more on the core, small movements with arm. Noticed that stay forwarded towards target longer and turn really late felt really effortles and powerful, im going to work more on that :)

Latest posts