• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lower Body/Hips Motion

Donkalicious

Hi everyone,

I've been pursuing 400+ distance for the past 4 years, and for as many times as I thought I had an "aha" moment that would be the one, I'm still struggling to even hit 350.

I've learned that words are not always the best way to convey this type of thing, but I'm hoping you all might be able to help.

As a preface, a few things I think "I know":

1. The arm (specifically from the elbow down) should be used as a hinge.
2. The arm (elbow up) should be at an angle not less than 90 degrees relative to your chest and is, for lack of a better word, kept locked in that position until late in the throw when your elbow has finished hinging.
3. "Reach back" is fine as long as it doesn't interfere with 1 & 2 above, but "pulling the lawnmower cable" is not part of proper form.
4. The torso is loaded/twisted so that it can be pulled/accelerated by the lower body.

The above points aren't the heart of my question, but if anything sounds wrong, I would appreciate corrections.

The legs down is where I think I'm struggling. When my core is loaded, I feel a strong connection between the motion of my hips and my torso (my torso is being pulled along by my lower body's movement). It feels smooth in practice, and until I actually try throwing a disc it seems like I should be getting good distance, but low 300's (driver) 240 ish (midrange/putter) is always where I'm at.

So here's my question, can those with big distance give a precise explanation of the motion of your lower body? I've seen all the drill videos, watched the pros on slow-mo over and over, but the visuals just aren't getting me anywhere.

To give a few examples, I have tried:

- Starting with a lifted left butt cheek (pressure would be into a wall my back is to) and swinging in a downward crescent motion until my right butt cheek would be applying pressure into the wall. Weight being on the instep of my feet.

- Again with pressure starting on my left instep, a simple horizontal push into my right side.

- Lifted left butt cheek, right knee is bent and angled inward toward my groin, and then a pump upward into my right side.

What's so strange/frustrating is I'm usually very athletically competent, but my instincts for how to get my lower body into the throw seem to be completely off. I learned to do a standing front flip in an hour, but 4 years of active effort hasn't been enough for me to even consistently hit 350. I just don't get it. It's really hard to come to terms with.

I'd greatly appreciate any description you have to offer.

I think I have, but I must not have given that clearing the hips video enough of my attention before. That looks like what I might be needing. Much appreciated

hips.PNG

This is interesting, and I think I can see it in Tristan's throw. The back hip is moving towards the target during the back swing and all the way through. I need to stand up and try this a few times, but I don't think I've done that

Running it through my head, I think I rotate the back hip target ward, but as I begin the throw I'm rotating it along the same path back to where it started.

Last edited:

Latest posts