• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

More than 10,000 Disc Golf Courses!

ru4por, I'd argue that quality is not 'completely' subjective... The focus of my post was on environmental quality, which can definitely be objectified. Eroded and compacted courses can objectively effect landscape experience and function. Surveys could and testing can prove this... Elephant skin landscapes, stunted vegetation, rilling and gullying do not help the newbie impression/experience and encourage returning to play again... Disc golfers who have been playing a while are more blind to courses like this because they are more focused on the shots/hole layouts... Newbies are soaking in the 'look and feel' of the landscape more and making judgements about what a disc golf course is (dirt courses). I agree wholeheartedly that we need more beginner friendly pitch n putt type courses. These courses take up much less space and are therefore much easier to armor/landscape for attractiveness and sustainability than 'full size courses'.

One of my first courses I played when I was learning, and the one to become my "home course" for several years, was probably the most played course in the area at the time. It was decently wooded, but also heavily travelled, so most of the fairways were packed dirt from all the traffic. It was also on a creek that, due to the heavy traffic, had some pretty bad erosion. Both my wife and I really enjoyed the look of the park though, even with those qualities. We just loved being out in nature in the middle of a big city.

Some of my fondest memories of DG come from that course too. My wife's, my best friend's and my first aces all came from that course. It helped that only a few holes were any significant amount over 300'. It was definitely beginner friendly, which I think accounted for its popularity more than anything else.

Point is, though, some of the things you mention, specifically compacted, it definitely was, yet it was still both attractive, and fun for beginners.

Yes, there are cases and contexts such as yours where eroded/compacted courses can be perceived as attractive and fun for beginners. But, overall, wouldn't you agree that prevention of those conditions with more planning and investment is not only better for wider public perception (newbies/beginners and outsiders who are potential NIMBYS) and land manager impressions (the ones who approve courses)? Isn't it also better for the longevity (sustainability) and environmental health of the landscape, such as the presence of more wildlife and plant species?

Yes, there are cases and contexts such as yours where eroded/compacted courses can be perceived as attractive and fun for beginners. But, overall, wouldn't you agree that prevention of those conditions with more planning and investment is not only better for wider public perception (newbies/beginners and outsiders who are potential NIMBYS) and land manager impressions (the ones who approve courses)? Isn't it also better for the longevity (sustainability) and environmental health of the landscape, such as the presence of more wildlife and plant species?

IDK, I miss the very skippy fairways. They made skip aces way more possible, and made it play different. I think there's room for both. Also, the wooded parts of that course had a lot of plant life/variety. It was just the fairways that were so heavily traveled. All the other grass around was fine. The only thing it really needed was bridges for the creek so people wouldn't crawl across small land bridges/trees causing the erosion there. We had fun crossing those spots, but it wasn't great for the creek.