• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Championship Course-Pittsburgh, PA Est. 2018

Answering one of the questions from above, based on two rounds last week - Apple Health tells me I walked 3.8 miles, took 7,800 steps, and climbed 56 floors during a round, which took 3.5 hours. This was playing from the white tees, though I had to pass the gold and blues on all but 4 or 5 holes. Those few shortcuts are probably offset by my chasing tree-bounces and wild throws all around the course for 85 shots, which experienced players probably wouldn't face. My age probably slowed me a bit also - but still probably 2.5-3 hours for a round.

I will say that as a beginner playing my first two rounds ever (other than the learn-to-play course three or four times), I felt like a ball golfer playing my first two rounds ever at Oakmont during US Open week. A bit frustrating, though it was good to see more experienced players also bouncing off the trees in the video above.

Last edited:
Double checked - 2:45 for the second round, much faster with a general idea of where I was headed.

It appears I can't edit previous posts, so please ignore the previous two. I realized as I was again putting my wallet, phone, etc., in my bag to play a round, that I often would leave my bag on the ground as I walked to various shots, or I would grab 2 discs and leave my bag in the fairway because the next tee was backtracking, etc. So I left my phone in my front pocket today to get a more accurate measure.

I took a screen shot as I approached the gold tee on one and subtracted that from all measurements, and took another walking off the 18th green as the final. It includes walking over to the pavilion to fill my water bottle after 9, but that's maybe a couple hundred feet and you should probably head there anyway.

Updated data:

5.2 miles walked
10,486 steps
61 flights climbed
2 hrs 36 minutes

Again, a newbie scrambling around for 85 shots, but likely 4.5+ miles in any case.

One green has a newly built elevated tee (the second on the course), and there are piles of building stones around tees at a fer other holes, so I suspect there will be quite a few elevated tees by next year.

Almost all the pins are set at C, and have been for at least two weeks, adding 1,300+ feet from the whites. As a beginner, it was a bit frustrating to have two good throws on a par 4, be at or past the A pin, within putting distance of the B pin, but still have 70-130 feet to the actual pin. For me, A to C pin locations means 5-6 shots.

Also - be careful out there. I fell twice, possibly breaking my left big toe on the 2nd hole. I'll spare you the bloody sock photo, but it made the rest of the round difficult, not being able to push off. Four inches of rain on Sunday made things a bit dicey. Wear sturdy shoes/boots and traverse some of the steeper hills.

Last edited:
The distance in feet of the longest walkouts between holes would be a more applicable stat than total steps/distance traveled. Out of curiosity, on the map hole 9-10 looks like the longest. How many feet from basket to teepad is that?

I played N Boundary on 7/3 and then walked to a Pirates game from a downtown hotel that same night. My phone says I did 8.5 miles and climbed 50 floors in one day after driving over 300 miles to Pittsburgh. The course has severe elevation and somehow more uphills throws than downhill or so it seems. My old body and injuries kept me from playing past hole 11 but I walked 12-18 just to see it. The course is a monster and maybe the hardest I've ever played. My next time in Pitt, I'll go play Deer Lakes, Knob or Moraine, they are simply more fun to play.

The distance in feet of the longest walkouts between holes would be a more applicable stat than total steps/distance traveled. Out of curiosity, on the map hole 9-10 looks like the longest. How many feet from basket to teepad is that?

I'm not clear on why the longest walk between two holes is a better measure of course distance than actual distance walked, but the walk from the 9th pin to 10th tee is 600-700 feet, depending on which pin and which tee. It's separated by the practice area and parking lot so it's a lot further than any other walk. Most of the others are 50-100 feet or so, though holes like 5 and 6 have white/blue/gold tees that are hundreds of feet apart.

Rounds have gotten a bit shorter as I've gotten better. Fitbit's MapMyWalk app says 3.83 miles, 2 hrs 3 minutes, 11.2k steps, 378 ft elevation gain as the quickest of my 15 rounds playing solo. Score was 78, +7, so not much scrambling and I know my way around now.

For context, I teed off today at 1 when a group of 4 was approaching the 9th tee. I caught them at the 15th tee as they were taking 2nd shots on 15. Their round must have taken 4 hours.

Following up on this, in case anyone reads it in the future.

I've played 30+ rounds here, know it pretty well now, and have gotten better, from a absolute beginner to what I'd guess is a high 800's rating.

Times/distances whittled down until this week I'm probably close to the limit. I shot a 74(+3) and don't recall searching for a single disc - I just walked right to each disc and threw the next. I also was racing dark/precipitation (it started snowing as I walked down the 18th fairway), so I was hustling.

Distance - 3.0 miles. From my car in the parking lot (after warmup in the practice area) to returning to my car. I walk past blue/gold on about every hole except 5, where gold may be about 650 feet longer with its tee in a very different spot.

Time - 1:35 The four previous rounds were 1:45. 1:46, 1:46, 1:51 so that's more representative of a normal, still brisk, pace.

Playing solo, no distractions, no waits, nothing notable off the fairway.

Latest posts