• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New disc selection article

Blake_T1

* Ace Member *
i just finished my new disc selection article. i will html-ize it tomorrow and post it as soon as i can. i'll post again after it has been uploaded.

the article is done and can be found at:
http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/articles/choosingadisc.shtml

am interested in comments, questions, etc. if anyone has any

Great article! I'm sure it will be referenced often on this forum and others. It's very complete as far as I can tell.

I do have two questions, though:

1) Here's an except from the opening paragraph:

With this article I hope to help make the disc selection process easier for players who do not with to buy one of everything or are just getting started.

I'm assuming the word "with" should be "wish," correct?

2) In the table at the bottom of the article I noticed that some of the discs fall into multiple categories (e.g. the Orc, Beast, Illusion and others are both listed as Type 4 Stable and Type II Overstable). I'm assuming this was done on purpose. Should there be a sentence somewhere mentioning these discs that fall into multiple categories or acknowledging that some discs can fall into multiple categories depending on how they're thrown?

Hey Blake, excellent article. One thing you don't seem to cover is choosing the weight of the disc. I just started playing disc golf last year after many years of ultimate, so automatically chose 175 grams because I figured that it was a weight I was used to. Just recently I started experimenting with lighter discs, and my current favorite for distance is a 150 gram champion valkyrie. The lighter disc seems to compensate for the extra over-stability of the champion plastic, and my control seems a bit better too. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on how weight impacts discs as well as your recommendations on what weights to choose.

Thanks for an excellent website,
-pete

thanks.

the changes have been made and i added a sentence including a statement about people with higher power being able to use type II overstable discs as stable drivers

Pete,

thanks for pointing that out. it totally slipped my mind when i finished the article last night around 2am.

i will add that too.

I just started playing disc golf last month and I have already become mildly obsessed. I figured that now is a good time to buy my first disks but until earlier today I wasn't really sure what I should start with, to this point I have been playing with different rented disks from the local course. I read some articles and tips on a few websites and then came across yours, it was by far the most helpful. Thanks for putting the time in to help out us newbies! :D

PS - I just ordered a Leopard SE(169), a KC Eagle(169), a KC Roc(173), and an Aviar Putter(175) for my first discs.

sounds like a good selection for your first few.
Roc is awesome for a lotta shots, and good putter. Distance drivers are a good selection as well for your first ones.

Blake: Great article! IMO the Valkyrie is a tier 2 driver, at least in DX plastic. I only have one, which is very worn, at the moment and maybe my view is coloured by it´s performance.

Acidbath: Isn´t the Roc a bit to stiff to putt with?

thanks for the comments on the article.

you are not the first person to question the tier structure of my disc choices, but there are a few reasons i included the valkyrie in the tier 3 discs.

first, i didn't specify plastic, and if i averaged out the plastic variations as well as weights, i find the valk to be a definite tier 3 in champ plastic, a 2.5/3 when new and heavy in dx, but more of a 2 when broken in or in lighter weights.

part of what i also looked at was how well do the discs fly on a bad throw or for lower powered players. 175g dx valkyries tend to fly very low speed overstable and nose angle dependent for newer players and are not very forgiving when they are popped up or underpowered.

a JLS is another disc that people questioned but my experiences with newer players and the JLS has led me to believe it's better suited in tier 3, especially in quantum plastic.

thanks