• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

NEWS: Yahoo Article seems suspiciously DGCR fed...

Looks like they are playing around heavy equipment according to the description to provide some vertical obstacles.

Hello to disc golfers here-

I just ran across this thread, and first shame on me for the apostrophe error. Mistakes happen. My Bad. Second I just wanted to pop in and say, I completely understand why you feel the way you do, but I'd like to explain.

First, yes I played disc golf quite a bit in South Dakota when I lived there after meeting some great people who introduced me to it. I took off for a year to travel and played a few courses while doing so. My reason for writing about it is because of the people who played, and how cool they were and how much I loved playing too.

Although I planned on playing a lot in the Northwest I only ended up playing a couple of times here. I am definitely no professional, and I'm not even very good at it. I quit my previous career to write and one of my opportunities was to cover a sport not frequently covered in the media, so chose disc golf in order to help promote it. I make just enough to get by, and I write 12 or more hours every day with no time off (okay 2 days once) since I started. So, no you probably won't see me on a course for awhile, and probably haven't. I'm in a pretty remote area anyway. I felt I could help the sport more by promoting and getting others enthused about it.

Of course, though I'd like to, I can't travel to every course but try to include a little about them from what I can find online, and normally link to where I receive the information from. The info I had on McMurdo was from a blogger who was there, I believe. I am truly just trying to make the sport known to more people, and on disc golf, compared to say NFL, I make nearly nothing for the effort.

Admittedly, many of the disc golf articles are pretty blah as they are recaps with just basic results and I hoped to do something to make the sport more interesting to people on the outside.

There isn't always a lot of good info to be found, unfortunately, but if there is a problem with me using the info from here I will cease to do that and try to find other avenues.

If anyone has any other ideas, feel free to email as mentioned in my articles, I appreciate feedback, and I don't believe I've heard from anyone about this yet.

Thanks for listening. Feel free to email anytime at [email protected]

Sincerely,

K.C.

Exactly where in the "Pacific Northwest" were you playing? That terms covers Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Western Montana and Northern California.

I just ran across this thread, and first shame on me for the apostrophe error. Mistakes happen. My Bad. Second I just wanted to pop in and say, I completely understand why you feel the way you do, but I'd like to explain.

First, yes I played disc golf quite a bit in South Dakota when I lived there after meeting some great people who introduced me to it. I took off for a year to travel and played a few courses while doing so. My reason for writing about it is because of the people who played, and how cool they were and how much I loved playing too.

Although I planned on playing a lot in the Northwest I only ended up playing a couple of times here. I am definitely no professional, and I'm not even very good at it. I quit my previous career to write and one of my opportunities was to cover a sport not frequently covered in the media, so chose disc golf in order to help promote it. I make just enough to get by, and I write 12 or more hours every day with no time off (okay 2 days once) since I started. So, no you probably won't see me on a course for awhile, and probably haven't. I'm in a pretty remote area anyway. I felt I could help the sport more by promoting and getting others enthused about it.

Of course, though I'd like to, I can't travel to every course but try to include a little about them from what I can find online, and normally link to where I receive the information from. The info I had on McMurdo was from a blogger who was there, I believe. I am truly just trying to make the sport known to more people, and on disc golf, compared to say NFL, I make nearly nothing for the effort.

Admittedly, many of the disc golf articles are pretty blah as they are recaps with just basic results and I hoped to do something to make the sport more interesting to people on the outside.

There isn't always a lot of good info to be found, unfortunately, but if there is a problem with me using the info from here I will cease to do that and try to find other avenues.

If anyone has any other ideas, feel free to email as mentioned in my articles, I appreciate feedback, and I don't believe I've heard from anyone about this yet.

Sincerely,

K.C.
Don't worry about it! You are doing a fine job. Disc Golfers are a hard crowd to please. Keep writing articles as best you can. This sport needs all the help it can get. After I started my radio show, Discgolftalkradio.com, I was blasted similar to what your hearing here. Some probably deserved and some not so much. Don't let a few detractors keep you from doing what your doing.

Thanks for the good press, if your in San Francisco drop me a line.

Sincerely,

K.C.

please keep doing you're thing and writing about dg. press is only going to help expand our sport.

trolls will be trolls. ignore 'em.

Good for you KC, just what some of the big talkers on this site needed. Keep up the Discgolf coverage, it is appreciated.

That was an awfully written article. I especially enjoyed this sentence (which isn't even a sentence):

"If you're in Saudi Arabia, Abqaiq is a Saudi Aramco camp that's located in the interior of the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia, and there is a disc golf course here."

YIKES!

DSCJNKY

KC, thanks for your article on the GOAT PATH X-TIER. When this site switched servers I googled the Goat Path to see if I could access it that way. Your article popped up and I was totally amazed to see it. Keep up the good work.

That was an awfully written article. I especially enjoyed this sentence (which isn't even a sentence):

"If you're in Saudi Arabia, Abqaiq is a Saudi Aramco camp that's located in the interior of the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia, and there is a disc golf course here."

YIKES!

DSCJNKY

i think the quality of the writing would be greatly improved if KC took the time to read everything out loud after she wrote it. besides the grammatical errors and sentence structure, the writing is awkward and stiff. if i hadn't seen the picture of her, i would have assumed she was a non-native English speaker.

@KC... I didn't mean to be a dick and blast you after you had already come on and posted (I didn't read the entire thread).

However, like G-Long said, before submitting an article, read it out loud, read it backwards, have someone else read it, etc. Use Microsoft Word and pay attention to the green, red and blue squiggles that highlight spelling and grammatical errors... and fix them before submitting your article. It was more than just a bad apostrophe that made the article bad.

And, don't pay attention to all the guys on here saying "it's OK to write poorly on behalf of the sport"... And anyone who says otherwise is a troll. Publicity may be good for the sport, but bad writing is not good for you (professionally speaking).

Think about it like this... the next time you apply for a permanent reporter position (if you even plan to do so), the hiring committee is going to Google your name and read your previous articles. This is not the article you want them to read. The internet will gladly keep these documents alive forever, so take some time to make sure they're done right.

And again, sorry for being a dick.
DSCJNKY

Having read the article, and looking up KC on Facebook, I was pleasantly surprised at the fact that a woman is writing on Disc Golf. I agree with some in this thread about proper writing being important, for two reasons. The first is for the people that are reading the article. If it isn't written properly, they really take no merit in what it says. The second reason being for the people you work for, or apply to work for. These articles will be around forever, and employers will look at them as your portfolio. These are things to look at when writing any article.

On the other hand, I am elated that you are taking the time to write about this amazing sport. I have been playing for close to nine years, and was hooked after the first 4 or 5 holes that I played. This sport is an addiction in a very positive way. If everybody that had another addiction would replace it with disc golf, auto fatalities would deminish, death tolls would go down, crime rates would drastically decline, etc. My point is simple. It isn't always how you write an article, it's what you say in the article to grab attention.

You're doing a great job, KC, and I hope you keep writing about Disc Golf. I will be watching your articles, as well as your Facebook page. Thank you for doing what you do.

@KC... I didn't mean to be a dick and blast you after you had already come on and posted (I didn't read the entire thread).

However, like G-Long said, before submitting an article, read it out loud, read it backwards, have someone else read it, etc. Use Microsoft Word and pay attention to the green, red and blue squiggles that highlight spelling and grammatical errors... and fix them before submitting your article. It was more than just a bad apostrophe that made the article bad.

And, don't pay attention to all the guys on here saying "it's OK to write poorly on behalf of the sport"... And anyone who says otherwise is a troll. Publicity may be good for the sport, but bad writing is not good for you (professionally speaking).

Think about it like this... the next time you apply for a permanent reporter position (if you even plan to do so), the hiring committee is going to Google your name and read your previous articles. This is not the article you want them to read. The internet will gladly keep these documents alive forever, so take some time to make sure they're done right.

And again, sorry for being a dick.
DSCJNKY

:clap: You came off as much less dickish than I, good sir. My brain is still aching from finals week, so also a "thank you" for articulating what I could not!

And KC, thank you for addressing your critics here! You are obviously passionate, and I admire your drive...but maybe instead of putting yourself in the position of simply regurgitating tourney stats, you could maintain an active presence on DG forums (ahem, DGCR), and get involved in covering one of the many events discussed therein -- not necessarily pro events, but maybe less-written-about DG events like the creation or redesign of a course, or non-sanctioned events (charity, fundraisers, Ace Race, etc.). Conduct actual interviews with the folks involved instead of relying on the Internet.

Lastly, become a Bears fan and you'll have won me over. :p

K.C. Dermody obviously has considerable enthusiasm for disc golf and is getting some AWESOME exposure for our sport. I think it almost goes without saying that anyone who is on this website is a fan of disc golf and is very pleased to see our sport get the exposure that being connected to one of the most popular websites on the internet like Yahoo is. :thmbup:

I think most of the criticism (while constructive, but criticism nonetheless) comes from the fact that a) Dermody's journalistic skills aren't terrible, but could use a little improvement b) these articles are coming from an almost complete unknown and outsider. I don't claim to know of all the main movers & shakers in the sport but until these articles came out, I'd never heard of her. I'd also make an educated bet that this is someone who has never attended a PDGA Pro Worlds, USDGC, PDGA Major, National Tour, or SuperTour event. A quick search on the PDGA website shows that K.C. is not even a PDGA member. It looks like most of these articles consist of content which could easily be gleaned from the PDGA or DGCR websites and other internet sites. Is this someone who just sits at home and writes articles about people they have never met, or even watched play, and is writing about events she wasn't even present for? If so, that just strikes me as really weird. Doesn't that strike you as funny as well?

I'd also suggest that K.C. Dermody and anyone else who is interested in providing feedback on her writing style read the What do you think of these "contributor" articles from places like YCN and Examiner? thread. While one must take scarpfish's initial post with a grain of salt because a) it comes from scarpfish b) it is posted in a style that is hardly constructive criticism, (loosely defined as something done in a positive manner and with the intent of helping and making things better) I think some valid points are raised. :\

Latest posts