• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Off axis Torque

discntildeath

"or off axis-torque as the direction of the force vector will not be parallel to the plane of the disc"

This is from the grip it to rip it article

what does this mean in stupid people terms cuz i dont get it yet and cant figure it out??????

This is the full paragraph from the article

"Grips that allow the disc to stray from this line or have the disc resting below the seam will be prone to problems such as air bounces, nose up releases, or off axis-torque as the direction of the force vector will not be parallel to the plane of the disc."

Torque is a rotational force applied at a distance to the center of rotation. In this case, the torque is the force causing the disc to spin around its center at the hit.
The vector (direction) of the force is along a tangent to the disc.

Assuming I'm understanding the term correctly, off-axis torque is any force applied in some other direction (for example, up or down). For example, it could be a thumb pushing down a little on the edge of the flight plate at release, or the wrist rolling open at the time of release.

I think the term is accurate but somewhat misleading. It's not necessarily torque around the disc's center, it's just force in any direction other than the desired one.

Did that help or hurt?

totally helped i thought he meant something around the lines of my body leaning to much one way or the other or something like my body isnt in good line but if your right things are really starting to come together and im slowly realizing how important grip is to fix my throw because i was gripping to loosely and my wrist wasnt in line and my pressure points werent very good with the timing i have and i was always throwing discs really right or had to put to much hyser on them to get then to go straight and that never worked ill work on it tomorrow and i hope it gets better because i really am starting to understand thanks!!!

msirota is correct with the description of force not in the correct direction.

a way that i think about it is with two analogies.

the first is a top. when a top is spinning on axis, the pole extending out of the "top" of it will stay in a straight path. if you were to hit the pole and knock it in a direction, the path the pole took as it rotated would be a circle spiralling off around the center. the force knocking the pole off center is similar to off axis torque.

the second is a record player. record spin flat on a set plane (horizontal). if you were to lift one edge of the record as it was spinning, it would no longer play cleanly. the force acting to lift the edge of the record is similar to off axis torque (shifting the entire turntable would have a similar effect).

off axis torque is generally caused by extension that is not parallel to the plane of the disc and also by wrist rolls over/under.