• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Opinion on Frost/Fluid/Elasto plastic vs Tournament/VIP/Opto/GL/Lucid/Fusion

chowee21

Par Member
Comparing the 3 main types of plastic Trilogy offers, give your opinion (and rate them) which one breaks in easiest, and which one is hardest...

My experience (looking at my Latitude 64 Saint) is that Frost beats in fastest, followed by Opto, followed by Gold line..

Outside of what beats up faster, I've been throwing the snow/frost Ballista and Sampo. I HATED innova Gstar plastic, but the snow/frost etc. plastic actually feels good in the hand and if anything to me seems to be a bit more stable than the opto counterpart.

Easiest to hardest
Fuzion>fluid>lucid (I throw DD)

Fluid and lucid are both very durable and close ime, because fluid flexes more when hit, it helps minimize damage.

For wear my experience from most to least durable has been Frost > Opto > Gold, but your mileage may vary.

I throw Fluid Truths and Felons, Frost Bolt and Elasto Giant, so 50-80% of my drives are with this plastic. I lost the one Truth that I'd been throwing for a few months that had the most wear, but it had not changed flight characteristics perceptibly.

I've thrown my frost bolt into a brick wall at a pretty good clip and couldnt even find a scuff.

I have a friend who says he had a fluid disc that changed flight characteristics after one round (good guy and reliable source. I'm guessing there was a flaw in the mold and this was not exclusively caused by wear or impact damage during the round...)

For wear my experience from most to least durable has been Frost > Opto > Gold, but your mileage may vary.

I throw Fluid Truths and Felons, Frost Bolt and Elasto Giant, so 50-80% of my drives are with this plastic. I lost the one Truth that I'd been throwing for a few months that had the most wear, but it had not changed flight characteristics perceptibly.

I've thrown my frost bolt into a brick wall at a pretty good clip and couldnt even find a scuff.

I have a friend who says he had a fluid disc that changed flight characteristics after one round (good guy and reliable source. I'm guessing there was a flaw in the mold and this was not exclusively caused by wear or impact damage during the round...)
I find the elasto and opto to be comparable in durability, the fusion, tp, gl plastic beats in quickly in my experience, the elasto plastic doesn't show wear, but give it time and you'll notice the flight change, I have a giant I used from when they came out till early this summer and it had beat into a s curve disc that would turn over in a head wind. New, the disc was a meat hook...

I find the elasto and opto to be comparable in durability, the fusion, tp, gl plastic beats in quickly in my experience, the elasto plastic doesn't show wear, but give it time and you'll notice the flight change, I have a giant I used from when they came out till early this summer and it had beat into a s curve disc that would turn over in a head wind. New, the disc was a meat hook...

Cool. Was the Elasto Giant in heavy use? That actually seems fairly quick from meat hook to headwind challenged. Perhaps the change is less progressive once they start to change?

I'll have more data of my own in 6 months.. :)

As a rule, I only throw opto.
However I did pick up a saint and diamond in frost for winter, and have only thrown them a few times and put them away.
I will get them out in a few months, and at that time I will know more.
I hope they do the saint pro and fury in frost.

Latest posts