• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Philly Area - 5/17 to 5/21

weeman

Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Going to be in Philadelphia with work next week and am looking for a couple places to play and people to meet up with. I get in Tuesday and was planning on going down to Delaware to play either Iron Hill or Cape Henlopen (bucket list courses) then the other on Wednesday. Will also be in New Jersey traveling doing site visits for work so anything up towards Bridgewater, NJ I may be game for. Thursday and Friday afternoons I'll be in Philly and probably looking for someplace to play. Saturday I'm playing the tournament at Tyler State Park in Newtown, PA.

What else around is worth playing? Any leagues/minis on Tuesday through Friday that I could come play in?

Thanks for the input, all.

You can't go wrong with Iron Hill. Henlopen is a long ride from Philly but a unique and fun course playing in the dunes. The best courses in the Philly area in my opinion are Camp Sankanac and Stafford Woods. Sankanac is private so check the website for hours. I know there is no Saturday play there. There is always a scene at Sedgley any night of the week. It's an original Headrick course so it's all par 3 short in the woods. It's also the only course in the Philadelphia city limits. I usually can't play during the week but PM me. You never know.

If you're not out this way often, I've been told Camp Sankanac is a must. As NathanNoodleArm stated it's a private course so check the site or call (http://campsankanac.org/ 610-469-6320). While you're down that way you could check out French Creek as well. I Think the list you've got so far looks good with the addition of Sankanac.

FYI, the bridge at hole 10 of Sankanac is out and has a temporary stepping stone path across the creek. So wear appropriate footwear.

Last edited:
I can't play (injury) but could guide you thru Sedgley in Philly or Stafford Woods in Voorhees, NJ just about any day. Iron Hill is great, I hate Cape Henlopen and Sankanac is very good. Tyler St Pk is near a top 10 with 36 holes, that one might not be too far on your way to or from Bridgewater, NJ.

Sedgley's a great place because of the people and the history -- but the course itself when you compare it to Stafford, Tyler or Iron Hill isn't even close. I play at Sedgley more than anywhere else, but that's because I live in Philly. Given the fact that you're playing a tournament and can make it to Tyler, I'd play there to practice instead of Sedgley -- but whatever.

Sankanac's a great course but it's a drive and it's not an easy drive. Getting to Stafford or Iron Hill is waaayy easier.

If you do make it to Sankanac you'll be close to French Creek -- an Iron Hill type beast of a course.

Didn't see Nockamixon mentioned on the list -- it's reachable if you can spare an hour of driving and most people's favorite course in the area.

You can't really miss with any of these and if you're looking for quantity the next tier would be Brandywine, White Clay, Lums, South Vineland then dropping down to Bellevue, Landis, and that course close to the Del Mem bridge that I always forget the name of . . ..

Thanks for the input, folks. I've played Tyler before when it was still only a 27 holer so I will only be playing 9 of the holes blind come tournament time. Will definitely look into Sankanac if the timing is workable and French Creek. Stafford Woods may be on the list now that I look it up on the map. Going to be cruising around that area checking out job sites anyway and should be able to get to it without going out of the way. Now I just need to figure out the timing to get to all of these. Thanks again everyone.

The layout at Tyler is significantly different from the old 27 hole layout.

If you do get farther north, Nockamixon is exceptional. It might be wet after all the rain we've been getting.

Last edited:

Latest posts