• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pre round warmups & stretches

I am working through a shoulder injury due to rounding / muscling after my reach back on my pull through

At home I do:
Cat / Camel
Shoulder dislocates
Light face pulls
Side lying reach
Scapula pushups

When I get to the course:
I putt for about 5 mins
Arm circles starting small ending full range
Dynamic hip swings
Some static leg stretches
~20 Light throws focusing on form with light weight discs

I made the mistake of band-aiding my shoulder soreness (ice / aleve / etc) because I didn't want to take any time off. I just had to bite the bullet and change my throw while putting up with watching my discs go 200' for awhile

Never stretch before playing! Do a dynamic warm-up before..get a sweat going. Stretch after you play.

Eh. There is nothing wrong with some static stretching, as long as your warm when you do it.

We're disc golfers here, not Olympic sprinters.

My favorite pre round warm up is to play catch with a putter. Gets a sweat going, makes you run around, and loosens up all your throwing muscles. I'll start close and work back until I'm ready to uncork some 300 ish putter throws. Then I know I'm warmed up. A few ballistic stretches and static stretches and I'm good to go.

Putting warm up is overrated. I'll put for 5 or 10 minutes but that's about it.

Do some light stretching after throwing a bit (stretching cold muscles leads to more injury vs not stretching, plus people torquing the crap outta their body thinking they're "stretching" but they're really ripping minuscule muscle fibers the wrong way).

My typical routine is throwing mids and putters lightly, jogging out to them, throwing them back and jogging back to the tee pad. Do some light stretching and get limber. If I get there early for a mini or waiting on someone, I'll putt for a bit at the practice basket.

HUB has sort of said it but no amount of stretching is going to make a difference. If your arms are aching for a couple of days after playing 18 holes, you are almost certainly strongarming the sh7t out of the disc to throw it and not using your body to drive the arm.

You need to work on form rather than stretches. Go read Heavy disc articles.

If I would buckle down and stretch when I'm not playing---say, watching TV---I'd be much better off.

Oh this, I wish I could force myself to do this. Keep looking at Val Doss' Yoga things she's been posting and thinking, yep I will definitely start doing that tomorrow. definitely. no doubt. And then it's tomorrow.

Sorry guys but stretching greatly improves my playing ability. It takes my body and makes it much more loose and allows my body to naturally perform a throw with grace rather than trying to muscle a lot of things becuase my body is not prepared for the physical force I am about to do to it. Maybe for the Rec player whos playing ability is not the highest to begin with it wont help much to magicially improve their game but for me, it 100% helps and makes me a better player.

HUB has sort of said it but no amount of stretching is going to make a difference. If your arms are aching for a couple of days after playing 18 holes, you are almost certainly strongarming the sh7t out of the disc to throw it and not using your body to drive the arm.

You need to work on form rather than stretches. Go read Heavy disc articles.
Thanks for the advice! I do feel that I am trying to overcompensate for my lack of power by puting extra force on my throws. Improving my form is my #1 priority!

wow, that is bad form, lol. What did he do, throw in reverse and punch himself?

It's easy to forget what being tight and enacting a violent motion can do to you.

OP: "yet I feel sore for a day or two after playing 18"

I don't think anybody is saying "stretching is bad" - we're saying that if he's sore for a day or two after playing 18, then he's most likely damaging himself.

This guy that I am working with went from being in the same boat, sore for days after a round, to being able to throw pretty much all day with no soreness.

I wish I had some before footage. That was after 3 sessions and he's made improvements since November. My point, albeit meandering, is that finding somebody to help you / or taking the form-rebuild into your own hands - is the most important thing. If you're hurting yourself, something is really wrong and nobody wants to see you injure yourself.

Wow never heard of bruising due to form, was he banging a tree with his arm? :doh:

My brother in law LITERALLY slapped a tree with his hand mid drive last month, granted he doesn't take DG seriously and only comes out to smoke black and milds without his wife noticing... BUT STILL he slammed the back of his hand right into a 18" diameter tree at about 7am 43 degree outside... I wish I had taped it....

I play RHFH and I tore my bicep some years ago so stretching before rounds is extremely important to me. I use four to five different stretches every time before I throw and will repeat before tee-shots until I'm absolutely sure I'm warmed up.

Protip: you are a lot more limber than you think you are. That pain you feel during stretching is more often than not is a warning from your nerves that you are doing something that's putting a lot of strain on your muscles. Stretching not only improves range of motion and elasticity it will also recalibrate nerves to allow for greater flexibility without pain.

The most important stretch I preform last but I'll describe that one first because I think it has the most value to a disc golfer.

PHOTO-9_Chest-Bicep-Stretch.jpg

1 Clasp your hands behind your back
2 Gently lift your arm up and out, making sure to keep your palms facing in, elbows pointing to the sky
3 The elbows and hands part is crucial, by torquing the arms to get your elbows pointed upward you create a lot of great tension in the shoulders, back, chest and arms

I also do a basic tricep stretch

tricep-stretches.jpg

This is really good at preventing that pain you might feel on the lower inside of your arm near the elbow.

Then you have a deltoid stretch for that extra range of motion

Deltoids-Stretch.jpg

This is probably my second favorite stretch. It really works the muscles under the bicep that flexes the elbow.

stretching-anatomy-44-638.jpg%3Fcb%3D1393011271

Again this is really good for the bicep.

Last tip I can give is pushups. Throw a few pushups into your routine. Get the muscle nice and warm and then stretch it to reduce the amount of pain you feel and to increase elasticity.

I hope this helps guys.