• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Question on obtaining relief

Brall

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I'm sure this has been covered quite a few times but I'm having difficulty searching for it. I blame this on my lack of coffee consumption today.

Scenario #1

The disc lands in something living (example: huge thorn bush etc...) in such a way where it is impossible to place your foot where the disc is. You can't even reach in to place a mini to mark your spot. It even takes teamwork and a few McGyver ideas just to get your disc out. What is your next move? Is there a way to avoid a penalty stroke? I do not think you can use 803.05.B because the living object is not a casual obstacle. And you do not want to use 803.05.C because of the added strokes.

803.05 Obstacles and Relief

A. Obstacles to a Stance or Throwing Motion: With the exception of casual obstacles to a stance as described in 803.05 B, a player is not allowed to move any obstacle on the course. No relief is granted from park equipment (such as signs, trash cans, picnic tables, etc), which is considered part of the course. A player is allowed to request that other people remove themselves and/or their belongings from the player's stance or line of play. A player must choose the stance which results in the least movement of any obstacle. Once a legal stance is taken, the player may not move an obstacle in any way in order to make room for a throwing motion. It is legal for a player's throwing motion to cause incidental movement of an obstacle.

B. Casual Obstacles to a Stance: A player may obtain relief only from the following obstacles that are in the stance or run-up area: casual water, loose leaves or debris, broken branches no longer connected to a tree, motor vehicles, harmful insects or animals, players' equipment, people, or any item or area specifically designated by the director before the round. The player must first attempt to remove the obstacle. If it is impractical to move the obstacle, the player's lie may be relocated to the nearest lie which is no closer to the hole, is on the line of play, and is not more than five meters from the original lie, as agreed to by a majority of the group or an official (unless greater casual relief is announced by the director).

C. Optional Relief: A player may declare that he or she is taking optional relief. The lie may then be relocated to a new lie that is no closer to the hole, and on the line of play. The original throw plus one penalty throw are counted in the player's score.

D. In situations where it is unclear if an object may be moved or other relief obtained, it shall be determined by a majority of the group or an official.

E. A player shall receive one penalty throw, without a warning, for violation of an obstacle or relief rule.

F. A player who purposely damages anything on the course shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning, if observed by two or more players of the group or an
official. The player may also be disqualified from the tournament, in accordance with Section 3.3 of the Competition Manual.

Scenario #2

Second question which probably has the same answer as the above question.

If you disc comes to rest in between the basket and a tree, but is actually sitting on the tree roots, litterally leaning againsed the tree, where do you mark your lie?

In this situation you cannot possibly mark your lie using the normal method. If you do try to stand where your disc is you would actually be trying to stand on the side of the tree like spiderman which is impossible unless you have been bitten by the right spider. Obviously you either stand in front of your disc (which is a no no) or ....?

Thanks in advance.

I don't feel like that answers the question at all....

804.03 Scoring

E. At the end of the round, each player shall sign his or her scorecard indicating that he or
she attests to the accuracy of the score on each hole and the total score. If all the players
of the group agree that a hole score was recorded in error, the score may be changed prior to
the scorecard being turned in. Players whose scorecards are turned in unsigned accept
responsibility for the scores reported.

I don't feel like that answers the question at all....

804.03 Scoring

E. At the end of the round, each player shall sign his or her scorecard indicating that he or
she attests to the accuracy of the score on each hole and the total score. If all the players
of the group agree that a hole score was recorded in error, the score may be changed prior to
the scorecard being turned in. Players whose scorecards are turned in unsigned accept
responsibility for the scores reported.

dyslexia

803.04E

E. If a large solid obstacle prevents a player from taking a legal stance within 30 centimeters
directly behind the marker disc, the player shall take his or her stance immediately
behind that obstacle on the line of play. The player must comply with all the provisions of
803.04 A other than being within 30 centimeters directly behind the marker disc.

Latest posts