• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Requirements to be 1000 rated.

erb said:
black udder said:
I believe throwing hyzer is seen as a higher percentage shot if you can do it accurately. No/little skip, you know where the disc is going. A flat throw might go a little anhyzer, a hyzer flip might not come up as expected. Hyzer only changes in distance depending on how you throw it.

What do you mean midrange speculations of parking it into the circle? Or % of shots done with them?

Like, at what distance should you be able to park it into the circle nearly all the time in calm conditions on any type of shot. If they wanted to be at avg. for a 1000 rated. What is the % of throws for a round with mids on a course that has been used for a Major? (non pitch and putt course)……Things like, "How accurate and consistent should one be?" there's more to a throw than length. God I would love to see some sort of a graph where "distance vs. % parked in the circle" is plotted.
Info like this is so often left out of the discussion because it is way easier to tell things like the distance players are throwing. But that doesn't mean that it's any less important. Again this shows the need for recorded stats, but until then we have to debate/discuss.

Hmm...I don't play with any 1,000 rated players, so I can only draw on the players I know. You can look up Will Lewis and Hunter Todd. Will only throws around 300', but he's pretty accurate and when it comes to putting, 60' and in is possible, 30' is almost for certain. Hunter isn't as long as the big throwers, I'm guessing he tops out around 400'ish, but like Will, he's accurate and lights out putting.

Hunter is only rated (as of the last update) at 987. I'd say that Gillies Creek is a course that's somewhat easy to compare here. The course is a mix of open and slightly wooded. All the holes are reachable from a drive and the longest are a couple around 315' or so in the position the holes are in now. My best on this course is -8, Hunter shot a -14 on the longer positions (and I believe he said he left some out there). Every time I see him playing, he's parking a shot or making a great putt from 40' or something. I know he doesn't park everything, but I swear I don't recall seeing him throwing out of the woods.

He's worked hard on his game the last couple of years because after thinking he was a hot player, he went and got a taste of real 1,000 rated players and got his a$$ handed to him. Since then he's really stepped it up. He's got that game face when he's playing and unless you get his attention to talk, he's quite serious. I wouldn't be suprised to see him make it to the 1,000 rated player list. I'd guess that when he walks up to a shot, he's got an 80% or better chance of getting what he wants. Now, I don't mean 8 out of 10 times he'll make it throwing 10 discs at it, but 8 out of 10 times he walks up to said shot during play. The focus for practice and play is different and I believe he's more driven to suceed in play.

Chuck Kennedy said:
One way to pull off a 1000+ rated round which worked for me is to play well in heavier winds in an area where heavier winds aren't common. That can boost the normal SSA on a layout 3 to 4 throws. So if you don't give up those additional shots from the wind challenge, you can get there by just playing a little better than normal.

Speaking of wind is there anyway that TX state's last round can be rated by separate divisions? The wind was calm up until 10:30 when it went to 25Mph with it getting to about 40mph halfway through our 24 hole round. Rec/Int ratings are inflated and ours seem a little low and I think breaking the 4 hour span up into 3 parts to rate would be best.

Chuck Kennedy said:
That's up to the TD to make that call on the report.

Good to know! I will urge them to do that although they may need to be walked through it. Originally the payout was $1600-$1000-$500-$400-$350 and we had to tell them that was crazy steep.

Follow-up ... actually got to play a round today with Bard Soleng at Cranbury, along with Matt Buono (another Frizzak), and a good amateur masters player. For the first nine holes, I was able to keep up with Bard, shooting a personal best 27 on a par 28 (one deuce and a par 4). While he was having some troubles (two deuces and two fours). However, on the back nine holes, Bard tore it up, and I labored significantly. At the end of the round, Bard had shot a 50 without really seeming to do so, while I limped in with a 62 (shooting 8 over on the back nine - pretty awful).

Watching this round up close and personal, I can say that the difference between being 1000-rated and 900-rated is a combination of many things. It is consistency in hitting the straight-forward shot, being able to control a slower disc while throwing it for power and distance, and getting within your putting comfort zone. It is not being able to throw for maximum distance as much as it being able to throw for maximum accuracy - regardless of whether that disc is a putter, mid-range, or driver.

It is also about maintaining your overall form and technique while adjusting to the variables of each hole.

Craig Smolin said:
Watching this round up close and personal, I can say that the difference between being 1000-rated and 900-rated is a combination of many things. It is consistency in hitting the straight-forward shot, being able to control a slower disc while throwing it for power and distance, and getting within your putting comfort zone. It is not being able to throw for maximum distance as much as it being able to throw for maximum accuracy - regardless of whether that disc is a putter, mid-range, or driver.

It is also about maintaining your overall form and technique while adjusting to the variables of each hole.

While others might disagree, to me, this is where the "throwing 400'+" comes in. If you can throw 400' or more, then throwing 250'-325' or so (a good average hole length) should be well within that slower disc control area and thus allow you to maintain your overall form and technique better. Doesn't mean that you actually throw 400' regularly :)

i have played with local boys Cale Leiviska, Jon Drummond, and Timmy Gill and watching them throw in comparison to a 990 rated player was not only their power potential, but their ability to shape shots and take D off to place their shots.

watching Cale throw an ESP Surge to place a shot is like seeing a lower end pro player with 425' power throwing at 100%. because if he threw it hard it would flip because of the power. when he throws a high speed driver he takes power off of it and sticks with the other players D wise, but has extensively more control. he threw it and shaped it in such a way to avoid flipping it into a cut roller and flipped it just right to place it in a great spot. they rarely ever go outside their comfort zone, that is the main thing i have noticed when it comes to their driving. because a top pro like Cale knows he can go farther, but instead he is throwing a high speed driver at 75% and will still surpass or stay with other guys D wise, but he would have more control over them since others would be throwing harder. Top pros are usually the same way locally and really the only time you would see them throw really really hard and go far is at a final 9 or like a rec round or a non serious round like a cheap league or something.

that is basically the method of the madness and now that I have high speed drivers in my bag, i do exactly what they do now since i care about my game and want to do well in tournaments an such.

one thing to remember.....the more power you have the easier it should be to throw short, but some people that have a huge drive they will see to what is a very very long hole to most people, they will see as something they can go for and they get into some trouble a lot which is why they do not shoot as well as they should. i have found myself doing that, but i have had my fun with it, now it is time to have my fun winning! :twisted:

I have to be honest with myself and know that I probably won't ever be 1000-rated, so my goal is set a little lower. I'd like to shoot a few 1000-rated tourney rounds before I get over-the-hill physically.

Still have only reached 950 or so, and the funny thing about it was that it occurred when all I wanted to do was play it safe, take all easy pars, and only go for the birdie from my putt, not from the tee. The round was a little boring, but I scored 8 strokes better than the first round and went from almost DFL to last cash.

It seems to me that humble golf will win out over flashy, mile-long-drive golf almost every time. Once you start taking risks, your odds become longer than your putting comfort zone and yer doomed!

I'm in a similar boat. I'm 43 and not looking at ever being able to compete in a real Open division (where some of the top players show up). Right now, I'm just hoping to get my drives out over 400' with the hope that then holes in the 350' range will become holes I can birdie. Right now, I'm in the 325' range and holes in the 300' are mostly birdie opportunities. We also have some holes out here that are over 600' with elevation on the tee and not too much trouble to get into, so a huge drive can make for a solid three while a mediocre drive yields a hopeful 4.

You wanna know how to focus Dan? Let it sink in that you won't always have the body, time or inclination to reach the disc golf goals you have right now. This could be your only opportunity with your skill set, so take advantage of it :) Make the best of it so that when you're holding up that USDGC championship plate, you'll know that there's bunch of other guys here who will never get there patting you on the back and cheering for your success and experiencing it vicariously through you :p

Latest posts