• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rules around when someone leaves their tag at home?

Broham

Is there a rule around what should be done if a group is playing and one of the people has left their tag at home?

I played a round with a friend of mine who I rarely beat this afternoon. I ended up getting the better of him and winning the round but when I asked him for his tag he said he'd left it at home and therefore wasn't in play. We were playing in an official PDGA singles weekly.

Obviously I'm a little butthurt lol, but I'm curious if anyone knows of any official rules around this type of situation. If so, I'd love a link to anything official.

Thanks

Seems to me tags are a local club thing... I haven't seenany official rules but that means nothing. any tag stuff I've been in has been singles usually one on one, with a couple throw the tags in a hat deals.. It's usually declared as a tag round IME.. If you two always play for tags on like Saturday then it might be a courtesy that you dont have to declare it, other than that I think you just ask for a rematch.

I played a round with Glenn Whitlock a couple years back and the first thing he asked is "Are we playing for money? Because I play differently" ... had a fun round with a great guy instead.

Screw em. Tags live on the bag! Automatic forfeit of future claims to said tag!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...have them give it to you the next time you see them?

No need for a rematch.

If it was a declared tag round, he needs to swap tags. He may be 'hiding' it so he doesn't have to give it up. I know of players who have been banned for not having their tags (more than once) or for not playing for the tag when requested. Mainly it seems to be people with low number tags (1 to 10) or a significant number (like 69).

Screw em. Tags live on the bag! Automatic forfeit of future claims to said tag!!!!

Yeah...'round here they are called bag tags.

In both my tag leagues, the physical tag is just kind of a league badge. One does not even have numbers, we just run the league tags on line.

It is a 50 y/o+ league. We found that we always forgot to swap, especially after tournaments with a bunch of us playing. No excuse, we are generally sitting around in lawn chair, drinking after, but it kept happening. :doh:

...we are generally sitting around in lawn chair, drinking after...

In my mind, that's you in your natural element. :)

If you EVER have the chance to play Ramcat with Riverdog, trust me when I say both of you will have a great time. You'll love his course (not cart friendly), and you'll enjoy spending time with him even more.

And as good a story teller as you are, I know he'll enjoy your company as well.;)

Last edited:
In my mind, that's you in your natural element. :)

If you EVER have the chance to play Ramcat with Riverdog, trust me when I say both of you will have a great time. You'll love his course (not cart friendly), and you'll enjoy spending time with him even more.

And as good a story teller as you are, I know he'll enjoy your company as well.;)

33824058abe1767eb8d91193adcad61d.jpg

Coincidentally I was out on Ramcat #not2b when you made that post, sitting in a lawn chair... and drinking a bit. [emoji106][emoji41] Danke schon!

Obviously I'm a little butthurt lol, but I'm curious if anyone knows of any official rules around this type of situation. If so, I'd love a link to anything official

There are no official rules for tags. Around here, the main purpose of club tags seems to be to create drama in an otherwise civil group.

Since you said it was a friend and a pdga sanctioned round . . . if it was me I'd print out a copy of the round scores/ratings, write our two names real big, highlighter the scores/ratings, laminate it, punch a hole in it and hang it on my bag.

Then every time someone sees it they'll ask you: "what is that for?" And you tell them it's from the time you thumped your buddy and he claimed he didn't have his bag tag on him so you made this.

The rule is that the tags gave to be gathered before the round and held by someone who will then redistribute those tags at the end. If a players doesn't bring their tag, then it's not in play.

He's obviously lying that the tag is at home. Did he leave his whole bag at home?

This behavior will continue if it's ignored. You need to tell the other league members.

This is a good learning experience IMHO in establishing expectations BEFORE the round begins especially in casual rounds. In this case, even if it is a PDGA sanctioned round the tags are what could be considered a "side game" to the official PDGA event. So if its an official tag round then that should be declared before the round begins. In our league, tag rounds must be declared before the round starts. This year we went with "virtual" tags where everything was tracked online and players were given a tag with a QR code to the disc golf scene site league page. But in previous years with regular tags it was required that all tags be present and at the course prior to the round starting. This, "I'll give you the tag next time I see you 'cause its at home" turns into chaos really quick and is akin to herding cats.

Quite frankly, if everyone agreed that it was a tag round at the start and the guy left it at home and then says it doesn't count is a fairly douche-nozzle kinda thing to do. He needs to make a concerted effort to get you the right tag...

Latest posts