• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Saving the Corinth TX Course

Trampy1

Par Member
Here's an email I got from Mike D today concerning the Corinth course:

THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO HELP!! I just got this email from the Mayor of Corinth. At the bottom there is a link to his email. Please email him and let him know where you live and how often you and your friends might use the park to play disc golf. And also list any benefits to having the disc golf course.

[email protected]

Corinth to Decide Use of Park Land

Mayor's Message:

January 14, 2010

"The city is in the process of making a major decision about land use in the Corinth Community Park. At the northeast corner of the park near the baseball fields and basketball court, there is a multi-acre wooded nature area. The amenities for that area include a nature trail that is open to walkers, bike riders and horses. A covered pavilion can be reserved for picnics or other events.
Last year, city staff members were approached by a group of volunteers who wanted to design and construct a disc golf course in this area. A disc golf course in a wooded setting is unique in the Metroplex where most courses exist in open fields. The shade provided by the trees offers a comfortable environment for the disc golfers participating in the sport. The volunteer group committed to provide the labor and materials to build the course at no cost to the city, and city staff approved what they considered to be an enhancement to the use of park space. The volunteer group began clearing trees to construct fairways over the summer and continued this work through the fall.
The decision to change the stated use of park space is one that should have involved public input and board approval. In their eagerness to expand the uses of this park space, staff overlooked the importance of the public approval process. When the council learned of this project, we halted construction so that we could bring the proposed project through a full public review. Although this process is after-the-fact, I think it is important that we have a chance to get public input and decide whether we:
1. Allow the volunteer group to continue with the disc golf course as they had planned;
2. Take over the project and let the city construct it to city standards, or;
3. Dismantle the disc golf course and do our best to restore the area to its original state;
The first public meeting that addressed this subject was the December 9 Trail's Committee meeting. The committee addressed the issue again on January 13 to recommend changes, if any, to the course design if option 1 or 2 is recommended by the Parks and Recreation Commission. One purpose of the Trail Committee recommendations is to offer design changes so that the disc golf course and nature trail can operate side-by-side without any encroachment on the trail.
The Parks and Recreation Commission will meet on January 19 to address the issue. This meeting will provide a good opportunity for the public to give input on the future use of this park space. The City Council will consider the Parks and Recreation Commission recommendation when it addresses the issue in the January 21 or February 4 City Council meeting.
I would appreciate input on the issue from anyone who is interested in the subject. You can e-mail me at [email protected]. Your participation in one of the listed public meetings is always welcome. At the beginning of the meeting you can fill out a simple request-to-speak form. When it is your turn, you can express your opinion to the Parks and Recreation Commission or City Council."

This course is really worth saving. Please show your support so we don't loose this great little 9-hole!

Latest posts