• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Silver Creek (Manitowoc, WI) now 27 holes of lakeshore awesomeness!

jhgonzo

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Just wanted to let everyone know that the improvements and additions to Silver Creek Park are pretty much complete, and the course is now a full 27 holes! The old "alternate" holes and the new ones have all been renumbered so the course plays as 1-27 (instead of 1-9, 9a and 9b, 10-18, etc.).

The new holes include a few tight wooded holes (including one that is 240' up an even steeper incline than the dreaded #6), some wide open ripper holes (#10 (old #7a) is a big 525' RHBH anhyzer in the long position), and a new signature hole featuring a fairway with a premium on the landing zone with a dogleg that opens up to a gorgeous platform green overlooking Lake Michigan, with an elevated pin to boot (and an impressive lighthouse sculpture will serve as the base of this basket soon)!

Here's a couple pics of the soon-to-be-famous lighthouse hole (some prior to basket installation):
Long Tee
4484d744.jpg

Dogleg Opening Up To Green
9e5cd613.jpg

Looking Back Up Fairway
dad63631.jpg

Here's my LONG par attempt on my first time playing the hole (yep, I took a 4, which I foresee a lot of on this 450' hole):
947c31e5.jpg

So, I encourage all WI disc golfers and DGCR reviewers to head on up here and check out the great work that has been put into a WI classic. Many of you have probably made at least one voyage to Silver Creek sometime since 2000, but a TON has been done in the last year, so make plans for a new trip ASAP (although the course IS in the ground year-round!)...the hype surrounding Rollin Ridge is definitely drawing more traveling DG traffic up this way, and now Silver Creek offers even more reason to make a mini-road-trip! Many who have reviewed the course will probably feel justified in raising their ratings; personally, I'll be bumping it to a 4.5 once I get my review points updated!

As always, PM me if you'll be in the neighborhood and maybe we can coordinate something!

I can't wait to play here again! I really enjoyed the course in the manitowoc in the park tournament and I hope some weekend this fall I can play this and the ridge.

Nice touch with the "lighthouse" hole on the water. It's those little things that make a difference for people out of town to play or skip.

Maybe Manitowalk in the Park tournament wont be at the LAME Cato Falls from now on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's awesome, nice job guys. I can't wait to get back up there to play the new additions to the course and update my review.

Maybe Manitowalk in the Park tournament wont be at the LAME Cato Falls from now on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Word is that next year's Manitowalk will be one round of 27 at Silver and one round of 18 at the Ridge. :thmbup:

Word is that next year's Manitowalk will be one round of 27 at Silver and one round of 18 at the Ridge. :thmbup:

Make it a 2-day A-Tier, NT, or Supertour with one 27 at Manti, one 18 at Ridge, and one 27 at Winter Park!!!

HOLE 22 UPDATE

Here are some pics of the finalized lighthouse basket! Of note is an awesome feature on this blind hole -- a flagpole at the dogleg (which is also the path to the next tee) has red/green flags to let groups on the tee know if the hole is clear or not. :thmbup:

578979_10151112387282734_923395027_n.jpg

548749_10151112387407734_224021307_n.jpg

269899_10151112387472734_1514376766_n.jpg

I was down there last weekend... such a cool hole!!! They need to raise the pole though to make the chains regulation height (Jim was parked down there working on something and said he planned on doing that). The lighthouse has a solar panel, and it lights up at night -- I wouldn't have figured that out but he showed us.

So when I played the hole: my drive cleared most of the fairway and ended up in the woods on the right side, so I still had about 150-160 ft. on a big hyzer to the basket. --At the time, I was thinking that I needed to hit the green, or my disc was gonna sail 70 ft. down the edge of a cliff! And it was super windy. I did hit the far edge, when I got up there I was surprised that it was only about a 10-15 ft. drop off... that could be a scary upshot if it actually were a huge cliff!

Awesome hole... This alone makes me want to take the 45 minute trip back and play soon. I hope the lighthouse structure doesn't get vandalized.

You asked for it...

Make it a 2-day A-Tier, NT, or Supertour with one 27 at Manti, one 18 at Ridge, and one 27 at Winter Park!!!

Course designer Jim Van Lanen just posted this on FB:

"Planning meeting at 6:30pm tonight for Manitowalk in the Park XIII - Great Lakes Championships 'NEW A-TIER SUPER TOUR' event. Doin' it up big in 2013, get involved... you can be the difference!!! All ideas are welcome..."

I replied with your idea, Tim, but I can't attend the meeting in person, so hopefully someone picks up the comment and brings it to the planning committee!

Please someone go to the meeting tonight and try to get rid of LAMO FALLS, It doesn't do silver creek any justice.

The lighthouse basket (actual basket part) looks to be sitting higher on the pole than it should. They'll have to fix that for an A-Tier

Of course, now that I'm up here in Marquette they might actually have an amazing SuperTour with Silver Creek and Winter Park. Nah, those guys are biased against Winter Park, it's like the red-headed stepchild. Just have to convince travelling players to head north and play in casually - it will be well worth their time! Although, what could be more grueling than a 2 day A-tier with Silver Creek, Winter Park, and Rollin Ridge?!?!?!?!?

Yeah, there's going to be a pole adjustment on Silver #22 in the near future, from what I've heard.

Too bad the Manitowoc crew has that attitude about Winter, but who knows what they'll brainstorm for the tourney this year; although, with the success of Terry Miller's Skyline Amateur Series this past year, I think Winter would make a terrific stop on the tour next year!