• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So me and a buddy wrecked shop at a doubles tourney

AciDBatH666

Double Eagle Member
Oh man what a weekend. Me and my buddy Beau teamed up for a Disc Golf tournament. One round normal scramble, the second round was "666" Format. Which was HELL. But we managed to do well enough to pull us thru.
Me and my partner were in the lead by 2 strokes after the first round with a score of 3 under par. Second round, we started with the 2nd place team. They got so messed with the 666 format that they went from 2nd place to 2nd to last.. Most of the course was soaked and saturated with water. Its been raining down here around Louisiana for nearly a month straight. This week is the first time we've really had abundant amounts of sun to dry the ground up.
THis was the tee pad for hole #1
DSC00203.sized.jpg

You'd take a step in it and sink 3 inches. Its been raining here for a month straight. FUN STUFF! The rest of the course wasn't nearly this bad, but it was just saturated. Not really muddy. You'd step anywhere and sink an inch or so.
This is a new park that they are trying to get turned permanent. So they had about 20 ppl bring in baskets and they set it up. Basically a temp course..it had a really nice layout. Awesome distance holes with some pins tucked into woods. Once it dries up it'll be an awesome park.

SOoooooooooooo
Me and my boy, We won our division. But not only that, I sunk the only ace on the tournament It was on a lake hole.
DSC00208.sized.jpg

This is the lake hole, the hole that I aced. Its about 250'
LADOUBLES2007014.jpg

You can see the pin to the right on the other side of the lake.
THe Ironic thing was, In the first round I lost 2 discs on water hazards on other holes. So I went to my buddy who was selling discs there. He has a bargain bin full of cheap discs for around 4-6 bucks each. . I told him I needed a water disc so if I throw it in the water I dont lose any of my good plastic. So i got $5 X2. Wanted something overstable so I knew it would be predictable. FIRST THrow with this disc, I sink an Ace. WOOOT! So its going on the wall now.
Only part that sucked about the ace? The fact that it was on hole 15, which was in the last set of 6 where we had to take the worst shot. So we ended up having to take our par since my partners drive was further out.

So. Me and my partner won Ams and 3 out of the 5 CTPs. I got one for the ace hole, So thats about $130 for the ace pot, + $20 for the CTP, my buddy got $20 for 1 CTp, and a disc/shirt/mini for his other one. We also got $80 a piece in plastic. So man, we really cleaned up. Heres a pic of everything we won on my tailgate.
DSC00215.sized.jpg

DSC00216.sized.jpg

*Clap Clap* way to rock out....

also, for our novice people....can you explain the 666 format?

I've played it once and it's very very interesting!

mikesolt said:

6 holes best shot
6 holes alternating shot
6 holes worst shot
:twisted:
Definitely spices up a doubles round, and puts a little twist on a course you play frequently.

i played the bezerkely best pairs bash this weekend and our "worst shot" format was such that if the disc get's in the basket the hole is over. so your ace woulda counted as an ace on the card.

presidio hills said:
i played the bezerkely best pairs bash this weekend and our "worst shot" format was such that if the disc get's in the basket the hole is over. so your ace woulda counted as an ace on the card.

This was similar to a question I had on worst shot. If it were true worst shot then wouldnt both people in a pairing have to make the putt in order to finish off the hole? Sorry for continuing the thread hijack

presidio hills said:

The worst shot format I've played is like that, too. Once it's in you're finished with the hole.

deaddisc said:
presidio hills said:

This was similar to a question I had on worst shot. If it were true worst shot then wouldnt both people in a pairing have to make the putt in order to finish off the hole? Sorry for continuing the thread hijack

No its cool. Ask away! :)
And yes. Both ppl have to make the putt. At least for our tourney. We managed to get 3 bogeys on those 6 holes, which we were happy with. Considering that we watched several teams walk away from one hole with a score of 12 over from ONE hole, we were happy with just several bogeys.
So if one of your guys makes a 40 foot Par shot, you've gotta make the same putt to make it = par. Which wasn't exactly happened.
This was the first time i actually got to play the 666 format, I liked it, cuz it really put a LOt of strategy into our game, and relied less on luck.

ferretdance03 said:
mikesolt said:

6 holes best shot
6 holes alternating shot
6 holes worst shot
:twisted:
Definitely spices up a doubles round, and puts a little twist on a course you play frequently.

That DOES sound cool. Just to clarify, the alternating shot holes...does that mean like Joe drives, then Bob throws the upshot, then Joe putts, then Bob drives, Joe approaches, etc.? So only one person is throwing from each lie?

yes.
You pick whos first, and from there you have no choice. Its one person,then another. You miss a putt, partner has to make it. Then you drive the next hole.
its a player 1- player 2-1-2-1-2-1-2 format for the entire 6 holes.

6 holes best shot
6 holes alternating shot
6 holes worst shot

And actually, the first 6 holes were Singles best score.
So we both played our own discs, and whoever came out with the better score got that score put on the card.

presidio hills said:

Ugg....worse rounds are so tough. Glad it's just once a year at Berzerkley. Making the basket ends the hole though, no need to have both partners make the putt. An ace also ends the hole for the team. Hole 8 gave up 3 aces the first day.

Jerry R said:
I assume the other group you're playing with determines which of your shots is worse.

That's how it was at ours. I found that to be more stressfull than anything since I felt we were representing the rest of our division anytime we had to make a decision.

It wasnt that big of a deal most of the time. 99% of the time its pretty obvious what your worse shot was.
There really wasnt much debating going on unless both of you threw in the woods, and the other group had to decide which was the more difficult shot.

Latest posts