• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Take a look at my drive and tell me what you think

Your weight is still on your back foot at release in that 2nd video and you complete the shift after the disc is gone. Get any pop up and hard fade throws?

Was looking for shoulder plane, but it appears only your lead shoulder moves. Gonna hurt your shoulder. Let that back one turn away and get more hip rotation. Also, let this be your power and use your arm less and it might get the timing a litle better to where you are on your lead foot more at release.

Get your off hand down. Under your armpit is not where you want the disc close to your body but rather can be out on the reach back and come across closer to your lead pec. Tucking it under that arm so close to start makes that harder IMO.

I think Im done.

Yeah, Technohic had some really good advice. I haven't been playing very long either and I almost believe it's better for a while to just go out and play with some general ideas and not think about technique so much. You guys can correct me if you disagree, but I know if I was worried about my technique a lot in my first couple months, I probably would have been turned off by the game. Something that's interesting to me is that it looks like your technique was better in the second video, when you were throwing into the net, looks like when you're worried more about where it's going your technique suffers a bit. So early, I kinda think it can be enough to think about transferring your weight forward over your front foot when you release, that'll help you throw lower and straighter and it may help you follow through with your throw rather than stopping yourself like you seem to be now. And turning your body more on the reach back and not pulling back under your arm is really good advice as well.

Good point Nuke. It is really important to just "feel" it. I am guilty of overthinking myself. Especially early on, it can be frustrating. If you do want to work on something, try to do just one thing at a time.

One big thing is to try to eliminate the hop step approach. Learn and work on an x-step, or shuffle your feet on your approach in order to keep everything on an even plane. Hopping is going to make everything move and cause inconsistencies in your release. Work on staying smooth through the entire approach.

Disc Golf: You're doing it wrong.

Since you just started, you need to take this opportunity to not learn bad habits and build your throw from the ground up. At this point, just get rid of the x-step and start throwing from a standstill. The idea is not to strong-arm the disc, converting your arm into a whip that's propelled by your legs, hips, and core. Right now you have ZERO body into it.

Think of it this way: Imagine a truck (your body) towing a car (the disc) with a rope (your arm). The truck pulls it along in a straight line, slows down and turns around a corner, then accelerates hard. The rope goes around a light pole which gives it a sort of pulley action (the "hit"). Now due to the pole, the truck is going east but the car is still going north. As the car approaches the pole and goes past, the change in direction and the continuous acceleration causes the rope to snap and the car goes spinning away to the north.

Understanding this fundamental motion is crucial, the hammer pound drills are great for demonstrating what this motion is supposed to feel like. You can find links to it in the Technique Sticky.

Have any friends that play, or a local club you could get involved with? Not to be a downer, the internet is great for making tweaks and quick blurb suggestions, but for the information required for solid fundamentals that you can build upon, there's really no substitute for playing with really good people.

I jumped in and read a ton and watched vids when I first started, but when I SAW and HEARD someone throw a disc 400 ft, and got to watch it over and over some things really clicked that hadn't by just internetifying. Plus they can watch you throw and steer you in the right direction without the delay of waiting for responses to your post. You'll really jumpstart your learning if you can find some good people to play with. And hopefuuly, in your area, the people are as cool as they are in mine and don't mind dragging a newbie along and showing him the ropes.

So now, all that said, IMHO the previous posters have good info. You need to make sure your weight shifts forward during the throw...your weight is over your back foot and you can see the results when the disc launches skyward instead of head high. And as they've said, get rid of the off hand action and armpit. Your reachback should involve rotation in the legs and waist, not just throwing arm, so that you can uncoil the whole body and release the.stored energy. A big reachback, however, does increase the timing complexity, so you might be better off shortening the reachback and focusing on good pull line, good weight shift, and good release timing(snap)...at least at first. A good drill for all of these is the Dan beto right pec drill.

All in all tho, not bad at all for 2 weeks. As along as it stays fun, you'll improve!

Last edited:
Read this: The Incomplete Secret Technique
Also: More Snap I More Snap II
Also: The Beto vid above is essential.

Grab a stack of discs and go to a field. I like to use all similar mold and weight for this so that I can correct and modify my form with predictable results because all discs are essentially the same. At the very least, make sure they are all in the same class: all putters, all mids, or all drivers. There are dozens of threads about which discs are good for beginners; read around and decide for yourself what you want to use.

I recommend focusing on putters first. They are the easiest to control and the hardest to throw far. Also, you should switch your field disc selection up every so often--different classes of disc will help you improve different areas of your form. For example: putters are more sensitive to OAT, drivers more sensitive to nose angle.

Chuck those babies from a standstill until you can make them fly consistently flat and straight. Don't worry about distance at first, just flat and straight. After you have the discs flying flat and straight at your command, try to throw them flat and straight and a little farther. If you can do this, try to add even more distance, but take it in degrees. Always make sure you can control the direction of the disc before you throw it farther. If you lose control and discs start flying unpredictably, notch it down until you regain control, then push it out just a little farther.

Go home and read a few articles about technique. Watch the videos again. Think about what you learned while practicing, what you were probably doing wrong, and what you can incorporate next time.

Do it again. Start your session at flat and straight from a standstill. Slowly add more power, keeping it flat and straight while maintaining control. After a dozen iterations of this, you will have learned your limits and expanded them significantly. You will begin to recognize the feel of a good rip vs. the feel of a bad one.

When you feel comfortable with what you have at a standstill, you can start adding footwork at the end of your field sessions. From there you can move on to practicing various degrees of hyzer and anhyzer, but always remember to take it slow. Control is most important!

I love reading this stuff and agree with everything posted. As an encouragement and myself a n00b; I understand what all these guys are saying cuz I had to discover it all as well. And of course I'm still working on it. So many little things to think about at the practice field, then going home re-reading/watching videos, re-thinking earlier in the day about your form, reach back, follow through, hand-grip, wrist position, weight forward, etc., then going back out the next day chipping away at it. I think the biggest revelation was shifting my weight on the front foot at the hit and following through. I've been at it for 2 months and yesterday at field practice was hitting quite a few at 330'-340'. And FWIW, last month was hitting around 285'. Field practice pays off not to mention all the great help on this forum.

Cheers!
beer.gif

This video is the best to learn proper form. It's hard to tell, but in the video it looks like your index finger is on the outside edge of the rim. You should have it tucked tightly under the edge of the inside rim next to the rest of your fingers and grip the disc tight with all four fingers under the rim.

Not to be rude, but your actual form looks fundamentally flawed in basically every aspect. You need to completely start over and follow the instructions in the above Dan Beato video, step by step.

Last edited:
This video is the best to learn proper form. It's hard to tell, but in the video it looks like your index finger is on the outside edge of the rim. You should have it tucked tightly under the edge of the inside rim next to the rest of your fingers and grip the disc tight with all four fingers under the rim.

Not to be rude, but your actual form looks fundamentally flawed in basically every aspect. You need to completely start over and follow the instructions in the above Dan Beato video, step by step.

Yup! This is what I started with. Take some notes of all the individual things he talks about and bring that to the field with you. It'll help mucho!

Thanks for all the great help guys! I will take another video in a couple of weeks with some hopeful improvements.

Latest posts